Oracle

Oracle Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 721 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times (in 329 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth (in 97 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 137 reviews)

More Highlights
733 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Worst experience

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsI can not seem to remember any

ConsOracle hired me and didn't help much in relocating me from Dallas to CA. anyway i still went ahead and spend money from my pocket on relocation and then they decided to close the team i joined within 2 month and layoff everyone including me.. it was one of the worst thing a company can do .. just hire and then immediately layoff. and talk about severance package it was one of worst package i have ever heard or seen.. just 4 weeks for salary and layoff was like they send a over night fedex package with all the details..

worst job ever

Sales Representative (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prospay was great, they lure you away from current employer by offering higher pay and benefits but after there for about 2 weeks you get the real truth

Consthe company, the culture of this company is like nothing I have ever seen. They will lie, cheat and steal from anyone. You are on your own... everyone competing for same business and no one will assist in any way!!!! Worst company I have ever worked for.

Advice to Senior Managementculture change

Unfortunately, too negative of a work environment for me

Recruiting Coordinator (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsOracle has a beautiful Campus. There is a nice entry level program for recent graduates in the recruiting department. Great Starting Pay. Made good friends with fellow contractors. Good Food. Free Drinks. Overall very nice Recruiters!

Cons-As a contract worker you are treated as different then permanent employees. You are treated like you are temporary and expendable. All contract workers were excluded from staff meetings. We were supposed to be a team, yet it never felt like a team environment. Very Cut-throat.
    - Terrible communication
    -Very negative tone set in the office. I began having panic attacks at work because of the negativity I had to deal with every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want a team environment try to be more inclusive and better at communicating.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad ethics and morale

Principal Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsFlexible (no one cares if you come and go)

ConsManagers that are wimps...
    Only way to get a raise is to be promoted to another level (which there's no career path or planning)
    No raises, bonuses or stock options for the rank and file for at least three years (was told company didn't have money)
    Aquisitions take forever to combine, and the technology is antique.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease treat employees like they are valuable. There are so many other companies that do. Don't get upset if someone goes to a competitor for work as they probably feel like they need to in order to feel valued.

Would you like to be treated like an untouchable in India? Work for Oracle!

Business Development Consultant (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

Pros-Being able to come and go without anybody noticing or caring
    -Putting in as little work as possible and still getting by
    -Learning to work in an environment with no direction or purpose
    -Job security: no matter how unproductive you are, you will not get fired

Cons-Negative personal growth--being in the office stimulates cynicism
    -Insulting bonus structure
    -Stock purchase plan has the inter-workings of a modern-day Ponzi scheme
    -Office culture similar to that of Rwanda circa 1994

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is unresponsive to employee suggestions and against making any forward progress. The company is essentially a monopoly and until there are any viable competitors in the marketplace, there will be no change in the way the organization is run.

My only suggestion would be to eliminate the entire business development organization because it is full of incompetent SDR's and managers. Oracle could have stopped using entry-level inside sales reps in 1999 and had identical revenue the past 15 years.

In the wise words of a former employee, "During a time when employee 'happiness' and 'satisfaction' are as pertinent as revenue and bottom line--Oracle has said f*ck it. And they seem fairly committed to that message."

Boring, so slow

Project Leader (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsNothing good about the company

ConsToo slow, project never end

I am not very satisfied with the overall prospects at Oracle

Senior Manager QA (Former Employee) Belmont, CA

ProsThere is very little to say anything positive about Oracle.

ConsAs an employer, Oracle is never considered as 'employee friendly' but only 'executive management' friendly. Coming in as an employee thru the acquisition, there was always a sense of dissent from the management of whatever we do and disdain from the immediate higher up of the management chain. Without understanding either the product and/or its capabilities, nuances etc etc., the acquired employees were always a subject of the 'blame game'. This certainly does not help the morale of the team that I was supposed to manage and deliver results by working your 'read end' off!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease open your eyes and see what is happening and who is doing the work!!!

Get experience move out. Rating as of now Jan-2014

Project Lead (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

Prosflexible work hours. HQ location.

Consworking at crazy hours, sometimes meetings at 7.00 am or 11 pm, does not matter your schedule, you have to meet.
    No real job recognition , the performance appraislsals are just for burocracy you have to bargain for a raise or have a good relation with your manager.
    Get some job experience and leave, otherwise you will get obsolete with technology as its verty restrictive what you can do.
    Movements on positions, salaries, bonus are "discrete" , apparently is a way to hide out information on the groups, you never have information about it, if you get some , you are lucky, I really don't like the politics.

Horrible place to work if you are young and talented

Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFlexibility to work from home. If you don't like to work hard, this is a great place for you lurk and hide; lack of accountability for actions or lack thereof.

ConsCrappy salary, un-motivating work environment, incompetent and useless management run the show, performance is not rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your ass and do something

The managers were not knowledgable

Senior Principal Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsTechnology ownership, name recognition, access to documents and technologies

Consno training, the managers suck no growth opportunity

Advice to Senior Managementdo review of the managers... you are a software company and so value your core technical team members input over mere managers

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!