Oracle Reviews in San Francisco, CA

5,937 Reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison
Larry Ellison
3,421 Ratings

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 844 reviews)

• Great work from home options; Good front-line managers who support their staff (in 372 reviews)

Cons
  • No flexibility for work/life balance--no telecommuting or working from home one day (in 111 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights

778 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I worked as a remote employee for 6 months.

Former Employee - Designer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Oracle (less than an year)

Pros

They are a solid company, opportunities for growth and moving up there. You can see your work implemented on their products seen by many of their customers.

Cons

The creative team I worked with was not the best design team. Their approach to design was clunky and their final work was not to bring something to a beautiful resolve, but to meet a deadlines and fill a quota. Not the best atmosphere to create great looking work.

Try not to have so many peoples hands in the creation of design. There is absolutely no need for it, it convolutes the design process and wastes way too much time.

Disconnect between individual contributors and upper management

Current Employee - Applications Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time

Pros

Benefits are very generous in comparison to smaller companies

Cons

Success depends on territory and product division

Good company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is a market leader in many products. Reasonably good company to work for.

Cons

Company is very large and hierarchical.

Less red-tape. Empower engineers. Create a startup culture.

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good company, good people, nice perk

Cons

good company, good people, nice perk

I learned a lot

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I learned a huge amount about the database market and fostered a new appreciation for the software that controls websites, email servers and traffic lights. Decent pay and the company threw in some nice perks like a paid trip to SF to see America's Cup. They also paid for an expensive lunch for all interns.

Cons

Highly bureaucratic and not as "hip" as younger companies like MemSQL or MongoDB. The company's technology is somewhat dated now and full time compensation is not sufficient to live in the Bay Area.

Increase lower end salaries to attract more talent.

Large traditional software company, ok culture

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large company - pay and stability are good.

Cons

Large company - Process can be a pain.

Great

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture & Values, Career Opportunities, Compensation & Benefits

Cons

Process slows the whole system and promotions are delayed which totally de-motivates good efforts.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Oracle as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Time off policies
    Compensation
    Work life balance
    Pay
    On campus cafeterias

Cons

Large company
    No perks
    Very tech
    Super tech
    Extremely tech

Where marketing careers go to die

Current Employee - Marketing Director, Corporate Communications in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- flexible about work location

Cons

- the culture flows downhill. so arrogant jerks abound throughout the organization, and the higher you go in the org, the bigger the egos and arrogance level.
    - marketing is not valued by C-level execs
    - marketing is based on executive whim and point tactics, with no strategy behind it.
    - senior management provides NO direction about goals, expectations, job responsibilities.
    - career advancement is almost nonexistent, and based on brown nosing ability, not talent, contribution, delivered results, or demonstrated skills.
    - HR openly admits that if you've been at Oracle longer than 3 years, you are compensated under market rate.
    - raises are almost nonexistent, and bonuses are even more scarce, even when the company is making record profits. ALL raise and bonus pool goes to senior management, with almost NOTHING trickling down below a VP level.
    - nasty politics make nice people do weird things, so you can trust no one.
    - there are no HR processes in place, so don't expect to have clear goals or measurement, and good luck getting any sort of feedback on performance, annual goals.
    - no training for management, so there are people at upper levels who are bullies and tyrants. And there is no process to provide input about your manager because they don't have a 360 talent review process.

Fire all C-level and VP level marketing, and replace them with people who know how to create a unified marketing strategy, communicate it to their teams, and build organizational structures that support the strategy and set up your employees for success.

Great Name Masks Challenging Internal Politics, Processes, and Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I joined Oracle right out of college as part of the Class Of initiative. If you're a college senior and considering Oracle in the recruiting process, I'd advise doing your due diligence and reading on. If you're going to be anywhere close to Oracle Direct, I'd advise the same.

Work-life balance, employee benefits and perks, training, and having Oracle's brand name on your resume are the top perks of working here. It's a telling sign that most of the pros I found were not actually related to my work.

Micromanagement is uncommon, and hours are fairly decent. The standard for my team was 8 AM - 5 PM. However, our manager frequently came in late and left early, so the actual "observed" hours were closer to 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM, with flexible lunch. In software development, it's even better. One of my friends tells he can literally "come and go as he pleases", because deadlines come by the month.

As a large corporation Oracle has many partnerships with other large companies. Employees can reap the rewards in the form of discounts on cell phone bills with major carriers, movie tickets, restaurant coupons, and more. Furthermore, the benefits, 401K, and employee gym at Redwood headquarters are amazing. In fact, I'd venture to say the gym was my favorite perk of the job.

There's a running joke at Oracle that you're never done with training. While it can sometimes seem excessive, you never stop learning about your product or general sales methodology. Sandler and Costigan sales trainings are invaluable and worth every penny Oracle pays to them. Oracle is also constantly coming out with new versions of products or new products altogether, and that makes for a wealth of knowledge to learn. That said, it's rare that you ever actually get to see or touch the product, unless you're working in a very specific customer facing role or sales engineering.

When I left Oracle, I had no shortage of startups and recruiters coming after me just because I had Oracle on my resume. So when you leave, you have your options.

Cons

Subpar middle management, traditional corporate culture, unnecessary competition both with the rest of inside sales and field, and internal processes were some of the worst parts of the job.

While executive leadership at Oracle is top-notch, the incompetency of middle management can be downright frightening at times. Some people truly make you wonder, "How did you get to where you are today?" People are promoted for the wrong reasons, sometimes not because they are the best candidate or because they would excel with greater responsibility, but because they've just been there the longest. It is a far cry from a meritocracy.

Mentorship and management run the gamut from nonexistent to decent. In my time there, it was the exception, rather than the norm, to find a great manager. Managers in Oracle Direct are focused more on progressing their own careers than managing and developing the people under them. Unfortunately, the lone wolf sales mentality that most of them had as a sales rep seems to stay with them as they transitioned into management. It is quite common for managers to rotate in and out all the time as they get promoted, leave the company, etc.

The inside sales organization is a essentially a call center that tries to act and dress like it's better than that. Business casual is fairly strict, and there are often cases where management pulls employees aside because they were not dressed up enough. You spend your entire day on the phone or in front of a computer...who are you dressing up to impress? Certainly not your customers, because they never see you. People could do the job just as well, or maybe even better, at home, lounging in their PJs, watching SportsCenter on mute.

You will not have the opportunity to interact with multiple lines of business. If recruiting is selling you on the exposure to marketing, engineering, product, and beyond, they're lying to you. At most you'll maybe sit in on a PowerPoint presentation or some kind of joint event once a quarter. Instead, you will be expected to stay in your niche and not disturb too many people around you.

One would think that as part of Oracle, sales reps across different products would naturally collaborate in the best interest of the company and the customer. However, that is not often the case. Applications, middleware, database, hardware, virtual systems, and consulting play internal politics. Sometimes, it can seem like a pack of hungry dogs fighting over one piece of meat. This has improved with the recent reorganization, but can still be much better. Furthermore, conflicts with the field over deals can be a nightmare. If you're lucky and have a great field rep, you're set. But if you have a field rep who is challenging to work with or doesn't want to work with you at all, you're left out to dry.

One of the most alarming things about the inside sales org is the churn rate. Around the 6 month and 1 year mark, typically around January and July, respectively, it's an absolute bloodbath. Oracle bleeds people so fast it makes a revolving door look still. Fairly new hires, not getting the support and development they need to learn and succeed, leave for environments where the company will actually invest in its people. Senior reps, tired of playing the waiting game and watching teammates who performed worse than they did but played the political schoomzing game right promoted ahead of them, leave for other orgs where their work is actually rewarded and appreciated. Oracle pays its starting managers less than many other organizations pay their business development reps.

If you enter Oracle as a business development consultant, the career trajectory is at least 1 year in the role, followed by at least 2 years as an inside rep, then at least 2 years as an OD manager, before going to the field as a field rep. Being in the field is a great situation, but if you start in OD your compensation will be far less than if you are hired externally directly into the field. No matter how you look at it, it's tough to justify staying at Oracle.

Lastly, internal processes are horrible at Oracle. Oracle leadership touts that "we drink our own champagne", meaning we use all our own software to test and perfect before presenting to customers. In reality, it's more like "we eat our own dog food." If customers could actually see the internal logjam at Oracle and how bad our processes our, they would never buy our software. Seriously, it seems like a joke sometimes. Daily work is filled with antiquated systems that you have no way around, no way to improve, and no way to change at all. It's frustrating that as a leader in the tech space, Oracle would condemn its own employees to such disappointing and lackluster software.

Oracle is an old company, just look at its history, leadership, and overall employees. While the culture and fit in development may be great, the sales organization leaves much to be desired. Promote based on performance and leadership rather than tenure, seniority, and politics. Streamline processes so that half the battle isn't internal. Build camaraderie and incentive cooperation and work across business lines rather than working in silos and leaving everyone to fend for themselves. Lastly, invest in your people and recognize talent and worth ethic.