Oracle

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

720 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

One of the best organization to work for

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

Prosvery stable job, good benefits, management is very competent, plenty of chances to innovate and grow, flexible working hours, good atmosphere, friendly coworkers

Constoo many levels of approvals required to get things done, interview process is not very strict so sometime incompetent people gets in and slows everyone down

Challenging work in relaxed environment

Principal Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsWork-life balance is achievable here. Promotions very hard to get.

ConsSalary hike - very little, peanuts

Worst experience

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsI can not seem to remember any

ConsOracle hired me and didn't help much in relocating me from Dallas to CA. anyway i still went ahead and spend money from my pocket on relocation and then they decided to close the team i joined within 2 month and layoff everyone including me.. it was one of the worst thing a company can do .. just hire and then immediately layoff. and talk about severance package it was one of worst package i have ever heard or seen.. just 4 weeks for salary and layoff was like they send a over night fedex package with all the details..

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Sales Consultant

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsGreat training and personal growth opp, not very stressful

ConsNo annual raises to base salary, not very flexible work schedule but probably depends on LOB, have to deal with lots of politics to get to the next level

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement needs to recognize and look beyond those 'look at me look at me' type of individuals

A good place to work

Director (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsGreat team, solid company. Very creative, interesting people. Very supportive upper management. Lots of opportunity to make a impact on the work you do. Intense work environment but a good work life balance. Can work from home often

ConsRaises are rare, fairly structured environment. Very little training. Sink or swim culture. Can be a tough place if you are not self motivated. Lots of layers of red tape to get some basic things accomplished

Advice to Senior ManagementMore room for advancement would help keep the good people here a lot longer no one really wants to leave but they leave for a better salary

...

Senior Technical Analyst (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsThe benefits are Oracle are great! It is a large company with many different products and opportunities. Is a market leader in many areas.

ConsMany times your voice gets lost in the mix due to the large number of employees (120k+). Upper/Sr/Exec Management tend to dictate rather than collaborate. Career growth seems to not be a priority.

It was a great experience working at Sun Micro systems, Inc.

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
    Menlo Park, CA

ProsIt was a big company but had a culture of small start up.

Conswork life balance was challenging.

Advice to Senior Managementmake it more flexible work environment

Director of Product Strategy

Director (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsWork life balance, work from home, free drinks, unlimited travel budget, great food at hq, great gym at hq, and working for a stable company.

ConsIf you like not working or working at an incredible slow pace this place is for you. Raises, bonuses and stock for non top performers are non-existent. There is also an incredible amount of politics and if you are in the management ranks, you need to be a seasoned pro at it.

Advice to Senior ManagementI work at a competitor now...so keep up the good work :-)

Dynamic work environment with some challenges

Senior Director Marketing (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsOracle is a market leader with a huge portfolio of products and service offerings. Lots of areas of opportunities for those who aren't afraid to roll up their sleeves and work hard. Great selection of health benefits.

ConsAs a result of Oracle's acquisition spree over the last 10 years, the organization is a confusing maze and the systems are cobbled together. It is very hard to get some things done. Informal and very proactive networking is the only way to navigate this massive company. There is also a lot of disparity in salaries and titles. Those who have been with Oracle a long time are often penalized and have not received raises in years. As a result it is not uncommon for a manager to have someone in his or her organization who reports to someone who reports to him/her that makes nearly double and has a grander title. There is very little career development. It is up to the individual to look for opportunities and go after them in order to get ahead. It is also very hard to motivate employees without incentives such as raises, bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more. Communicate more.

Some talented people but most are just along for the ride...

Director, Product Management (Former Employee)
    Foster City, CA

ProsIts a safe, stable experience for most staff (who tend to stay longer than they should). The health insurance options are very good compared to those of a smaller company that I left Oracle to work for later.

ConsSome good talented people work at Oracle in their apps product teams but most great folks tend to leave after acquisitions. The folks that are left are worn down and lack passion for developing great products mainly due to rigid senior management that cram doctrine and bureaucratic process down everyone's throats... its a motivational killer and ultimately dooms many otherwise good initiatives that would produce great results. Mediocre results, relatively low pay and very high expectations make it hard to recommend Oracle to a job seeker (unless you want them to be miserable...).

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure you can pull it out of the current tailspin but (a) reward your best talent - they work hard so compensate them well, (b) develop other folks with potential so they can replace the most talented people since they will soon leave, and (c) work on developing a culture that motivates people to produce their best work to build world-class apps which sadly means you'll need to get rid of most rigid processes and dogma that forces teams to use the oracle apps frameworks... most of which are horrible and nowhere near as good and current as other web app technologies.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oracle reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Oracle CEO Larry Ellison. All 720 reviews posted anonymously by Oracle employees.