Oracle

Oracle Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good(in 714 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times(in 325 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth(in 96 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth(in 137 reviews)

117 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Oracle is OK

Principal Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Proshardware group has great work life balance and is working on some interesting projects

Conspoor raises for hardware group but things are turning around.

Advice to Senior Managementmatrix management and shuffling of employees does not build real competencies.

comfort env

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Proscan WFH and have more op to look for internal jobs in the company. fitness facility is good too.

Consnot very good pay, not have more chance to go more award. have risk of being layoff if the project is not profitable .

Pretty good company!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsOracle looks for the best people. Great products and they know how to run their business. Benefits and flexibility around the company.

ConsManager looks out for himself rather than his people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of direction; lack of identity; lack of vision;

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsThere are just a few good engineers at Oracle. Occasionally you'd see a pocket of 1-2 good engineers in a team of 20+.

ConsAs it is made up of many companies, there is big disintegration. No culture per se. Cronyism and incompetency are rampant at Oracle. Disillusionment. The smart people seem to quit as soon as Oracle acquires a company. Smart people seem to be deliberately not hired. Friends and inexperienced people are welcome at Oracle. Pro-activity, natural leadership, experience doesn't seem to be encouraged or rewarded. Mediocrity is protected at all costs.

The internal tools they use are so old and obsolete that is not even funny. For instance: How can a database company not normalize the bug-status of their bug-tracking tool? Why would you leave it as a cross-product of two statuses, that cannot describe uniformly a bug status? Why would you have disparate set of 99 bug statuses? How can you provide better software when your own internal tools are obsolete?

This is just one example. Plenty more.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs long as the same management stays in place, nothing will change. Any talk of "restructuring", etc., is just another PR from investors to investors, to keep the stock from sinking. The sad part is that management knows they are incompetent and mediocre and are diagnosing themselves as "all is good!" This is at all vertical levels of management. Everyone knows it and no one wants to admit it. It's just another "too big to fail" company. If one person admits it, they are quickly isolated, ousted, isolated, fired, etc.

Oracle is a good company to work for. Schedule flexibility and opportunity to move within the company.

Manager Product Support (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsOne of the best things at Oracle is the flexibility to work from home.

ConsLittle change in salary and growth to the next level. Bonus is dwindling as the years go by.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee morale is low and addressing that would be a good start.

Overall it is good.

Principal Hardware Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsOffice culture is good, benefit is also good.

Conscompensation is pretty bad now-a-days for long term employees.

A lot of the coding is for internal integration

Consuling Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsNice work life balance. Few death marches to get the code out. Nice people from different backgrounds. Flexible work hours and flexible work locations.

ConsDifficult to get things changed. The top priority is what drives managers bonus so everything else is ignored. Guess what is the next top priority? Difficult to make internal job transfers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to get some flexibility in to moving people around to the project that needs more resources. It should not be hard to do an internal transfer than to go outside.

Team lead

Team Lead (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsExcellent culture. Good work life balance

ConsCould do better with salaries

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Hardware Engineer

Hardware Developer II (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Prosgood work and life balance

Consbad management, lack of incentive system

Awesome place to work

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsSolid brand behind you which in sales is important. The sales training is second to none. Oracle does it right when it comes to training their sales team to be successful. Perks and benefits are great which is what you should expect with a company of this size. Sr. Management team is approachable and open to honest and constructive dialogue.

ConsVery process driven. And by process... I mean process.... there are, at times meetings to discuss what we are going to cover in later meetings.... you'll become the managing director for all directors and managers in the department of redundancy department. However, if you learn how to maneuver the processes.... cake walk...

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline some of the processes and make the sales cycle easier to close deals. Executive Summaries getting declined due to "wrong font" is a smidge overkill.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!