Oracle Reviews in Santa Clara, CA

5,639 Reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison
Larry Ellison
3,268 Ratings

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 721 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times (in 329 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth (in 97 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 137 reviews)

More Highlights

79 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Oracle is OK

Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Oracle for more than a year

Pros

hardware group has great work life balance and is working on some interesting projects

Cons

poor raises for hardware group but things are turning around.

matrix management and shuffling of employees does not build real competencies.

My experience with Oracle was okay. I became an Oracle employee due to an acquisition.

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working for Oracle presents challenges which in my opinion makes employment interesting. In my role I had to work many hours. It was a huge plus that Oracle supports working from home.

Cons

Work life balance is not a consideration. This is why working from home is a plus. When the acquisition was approved the employees of the acquired company were told that there was be assistance to find employment within the company. This was not true. Oracle is a difficult company to figure out the organizational structure which makes it difficult to maneuver.

Not a great place to work if you are ambitious

Current Employee - Software Development Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

-flexibility
    -good life work balance
    - good for people who want stable but average compensation

Cons

Whether you work hard or do nothing, you are still paid nothing. There is huge difference in salaries of people, there is no consistency
    Not an employee friendly employer. Not wonder Oracle never comes in top places to work

Be employee friendly. Employees are assets not just numbers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Oracle corporate politics can smother good engineering and team work

Current Employee - Principal Product Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Product Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stable and I have a good team to work with. The work environment is comfortable and the work ethic in my group is great

Cons

politics are a driving force, not so much innovation anymore, spending money on essential equipment is tough and new hires are difficult to come by

Employee appreciation in terms of bonuses, options, pay rises has been sorely missing for the last 5 years

ok place to work

Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good work life balance, not very stressful environment

Cons

growth and salary below industry standard.

Great Place Good People

Current Employee - Deal Manager  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Deal Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

I work out of the Santa Clara Campus and it's beautiful. Every time I drive into the parking lot I feel very fortunate to be able to work at such a nice place. The buildings are well kept, everything is clean and uniform. While there isn't any extravagance wasted on the inside of the buildings everything is functional and well kept.

They have a gym on campus and most groups are supportive of using the gym and taking time at lunch to partake in athletic activities when work is slow. I have made many friends with people I never encounter in my work flow and enjoy seeing them at lunch and around the campus.

Cons

There is a massive bureaucracy and things move very slowly. Also, at times it seems that incompetence is rewarded and it is very difficult to move up in the organization. For some positions, especially for people who are early in their careers, the pay is on the lower end of things.

It would be easier if there were some sort of promotional track laid out. I have to admit, I was told before hand moving up in the organization is difficult and that raises are generally at fixed percentages.

Not much happening...

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It all depends on the manager/group you get in. Some (if u are lucky) are beautiful people, will nourish you, but others are apple polishers with management. It is their way or the highway.

Cons

Managers are out of tune with reality. Most are whip masters and consider managing to be status reports for the sake of status reports. Watch out for technically weak managers they are clueless and create favoritism which lead to resentments in the group. Specially watch out for the manager who thinks she is technical, but the last time they did anything technical was 15 years ago. They are the worst. No real team-work environment. Just one or two people in each group doing solo things and managers in their pockets. The rest are just to fill the void. Compensation is the worst in the bay area. Was getting hundred fifteen a year for senior soft eng. And for that too had to fight hard. Although in bay area this is peanuts. After paying rent and a family of four there was zero left. No bonus or pay raises. Very few innovation happening and that too only in few groups done by handful of people. The rest are really old sun folks waiting for retirement. This is a graveyard for your career, no upward career path. It is better to work, leave, and then come back at better role/pay, then it is to stay and move up (not gonna happen). If you want a cushy job and your career to hit brakes. This is perfect place to be.

Remove culture of favoring two people in the group and muffling the rest. First line managers and directors are out of touch with new management changes in the past few years . Require more up to date training from management. Also most directors you dont even see around except once a year. Directors should be more in touch with their teams and not just make managers the only point of contact with the team they are directing. This is not monarchy. But unfortunately from Larry down to directors and managers this is how this company is structured and behaves.

Lack of direction; lack of identity; lack of vision;

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are just a few good engineers at Oracle. Occasionally you'd see a pocket of 1-2 good engineers in a team of 20+.

Cons

As it is made up of many companies, there is big disintegration. No culture per se. Cronyism and incompetency are rampant at Oracle. Disillusionment. The smart people seem to quit as soon as Oracle acquires a company. Smart people seem to be deliberately not hired. Friends and inexperienced people are welcome at Oracle. Pro-activity, natural leadership, experience doesn't seem to be encouraged or rewarded. Mediocrity is protected at all costs.

The internal tools they use are so old and obsolete that is not even funny. For instance: How can a database company not normalize the bug-status of their bug-tracking tool? Why would you leave it as a cross-product of two statuses, that cannot describe uniformly a bug status? Why would you have disparate set of 99 bug statuses? How can you provide better software when your own internal tools are obsolete?

This is just one example. Plenty more.

As long as the same management stays in place, nothing will change. Any talk of "restructuring", etc., is just another PR from investors to investors, to keep the stock from sinking. The sad part is that management knows they are incompetent and mediocre and are diagnosing themselves as "all is good!" This is at all vertical levels of management. Everyone knows it and no one wants to admit it. It's just another "too big to fail" company. If one person admits it, they are quickly isolated, ousted, isolated, fired, etc.

Pretty good company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Oracle looks for the best people. Great products and they know how to run their business. Benefits and flexibility around the company.

Cons

Manager looks out for himself rather than his people.

Overall it is good.

Current Employee - Principal Hardware Engineer  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Hardware Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Office culture is good, benefit is also good.

Cons

compensation is pretty bad now-a-days for long term employees.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!