Oracle

Oracle Reviews in Santa Clara, CA

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good(in 714 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times(in 325 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth(in 96 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth(in 137 reviews)

73 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Oracle is OK

Principal Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Proshardware group has great work life balance and is working on some interesting projects

Conspoor raises for hardware group but things are turning around.

Advice to Senior Managementmatrix management and shuffling of employees does not build real competencies.

Pretty good company!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsOracle looks for the best people. Great products and they know how to run their business. Benefits and flexibility around the company.

ConsManager looks out for himself rather than his people.

Lack of direction; lack of identity; lack of vision;

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsThere are just a few good engineers at Oracle. Occasionally you'd see a pocket of 1-2 good engineers in a team of 20+.

ConsAs it is made up of many companies, there is big disintegration. No culture per se. Cronyism and incompetency are rampant at Oracle. Disillusionment. The smart people seem to quit as soon as Oracle acquires a company. Smart people seem to be deliberately not hired. Friends and inexperienced people are welcome at Oracle. Pro-activity, natural leadership, experience doesn't seem to be encouraged or rewarded. Mediocrity is protected at all costs.

The internal tools they use are so old and obsolete that is not even funny. For instance: How can a database company not normalize the bug-status of their bug-tracking tool? Why would you leave it as a cross-product of two statuses, that cannot describe uniformly a bug status? Why would you have disparate set of 99 bug statuses? How can you provide better software when your own internal tools are obsolete?

This is just one example. Plenty more.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs long as the same management stays in place, nothing will change. Any talk of "restructuring", etc., is just another PR from investors to investors, to keep the stock from sinking. The sad part is that management knows they are incompetent and mediocre and are diagnosing themselves as "all is good!" This is at all vertical levels of management. Everyone knows it and no one wants to admit it. It's just another "too big to fail" company. If one person admits it, they are quickly isolated, ousted, isolated, fired, etc.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall it is good.

Principal Hardware Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsOffice culture is good, benefit is also good.

Conscompensation is pretty bad now-a-days for long term employees.

Hardware Engineer

Hardware Developer II (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Prosgood work and life balance

Consbad management, lack of incentive system

Awesome place to work

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsSolid brand behind you which in sales is important. The sales training is second to none. Oracle does it right when it comes to training their sales team to be successful. Perks and benefits are great which is what you should expect with a company of this size. Sr. Management team is approachable and open to honest and constructive dialogue.

ConsVery process driven. And by process... I mean process.... there are, at times meetings to discuss what we are going to cover in later meetings.... you'll become the managing director for all directors and managers in the department of redundancy department. However, if you learn how to maneuver the processes.... cake walk...

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline some of the processes and make the sales cycle easier to close deals. Executive Summaries getting declined due to "wrong font" is a smidge overkill.

Nice place to work

Management (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsExcellent process/structure. Good work life balance. Decent benefits. Talented Engineers. Very Professional. If you are looking for a organized, structured environment this is the place for you. If you want a start up environment with no direction and chaos don't come here.

ConsWork environment not too exciting. Teams that I worked with were nice & very professional however, the work environment is a bit dull. It really depends on which team you end up with and who you are managed by. Not many perks and salary is pretty bad.

Overall Good Company

Hardware Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Pros1. brand recognition
    2. good starting salary
    3. great work life balance
    4. lots to learn
    5. nice campus

Cons1. no salary increase or bonus for many years thus hurts employees' motivation. promotions difficult to come by, even come salary stays the same.
    2. can't see or feel the impact of one individual's work because org is very large
    3. not a good environment for innovation, company seems to follow the model of expansion or innovation by acquisition. thus is not regarded cool to attract young talents like google, apple or startups.
    4. many managers are hired from outside which creates difficulty for them to understand engineers' work cuz they never gone through themselves in Oracle's work environment and infrastructure
    5. group politics. bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior Managementrespect, value, retain talents which are the most important assets to the company

It's OK

Senior Hardware Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsGood work-life balance
    Lots of tecnical trainings
    Access to all of the Oracle tools and hardware
    Good benefits

ConsLittle pay raise, no promotion

Working Experience

Physical Design Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsNot too tight, ability to balance work and personal life

ConsNot too much to do, maybe not best choice for new employee who wants to improve their professional skills

Advice to Senior ManagementNot applicable

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!