Oracle

Oracle Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 721 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times (in 329 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth (in 97 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 137 reviews)

More Highlights
101 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company for a self-starter; little tolerance for coasters

Senior Director (Former Employee)

ProsDespite it's size, the company is still very entrepreneurial - albeit with a strong/aggressive sales culture. A truly global IT heavyweight with plenty of opportunity to do worthwhile and rewarding work and a lot of opportunity to work with talented people.

ConsBehaviours tend to be compensation-based which, whilst it increases business focus does inhibit x-team collaboration. A lot of organisational complexity and, in some cases, overlap. This is by design - competition drives greater performance but tends to result in a perpetual culture of political 'winners' and 'losers'.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlatten organisational structures for increased transparency, accountability and streamlined communication. Executive management to pay more attention to the cultural norms their senior managers are fostering - weeding out those that create unhealthy/unsustainable/unethical business units.

Great Company to work for but needs to iron out a few issues to compete with the influx of new entrants to the market

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Reading, England (UK)

ProsOpportunities to move around the company and experience very different different roles, excellent benefits.

ConsStarting to become a bit clunky and less agile, internal processes becoming prohibitive and commission payments taking longer and longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take success for granted.

Good employer full of smart people

Consulting Technical Manager (Former Employee) Reading, England (UK)

ProsGreat and very smart people and leading edge technology.

ConsProcess driven and bureaucratic with limited scope for flexibility and individual innovation. Exacerbated as Oracle has grown. Professional services divisions secondary to license, hardware and license support services

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

General

ProsThere are lots of benefits and job opportunities

ConsSalary changes very slow if not at all

Happy Place to work, but with limited career progression and don't a pay rise.

Solution Director (Current Employee) Reading, England (UK)

ProsSolid Technology, leader in nearly all technology areas. Plenty to keep you busy and training is first class. Bright people and I've really enjoyed my 17 years at Oracle. Recent focus on CLoud computing is a little late but they are making strong acquisitions in order to catch up fast.

ConsThe normal big company issues, mostly political issues. Lots of Sales/Presales doing similar customer engagement but overlap is inevitable leading to duplication. Most of the time you feel like the pawn in someone elses jam for promotion. Manager are only thinking about themselves rather than you. Once you've reached a certain level and don't want to go into management then you are limited to which jobs are available to you. People plateau and coast along and Oracle does nothing to make it easy to move around. Recent focus on career development is a ploy to get rid of the people that don't progress. Lots of people leaving for Saleforce.com. No pay rise for the past 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward and Recognition is the only way to keep skilled employees. Remember this otherwise you will lose all employees to cloud companies.

Very Competitive, Great learning experience

ProsBest Products of the world
    Good Education, Oracle University provides good courses and its encouraged to educate oneself
    Truly Global, Fairly easy to relocate within global Subsidiaries when performing well

ConsVery Agressive
    Very Competitive
    Career development not straightforward or dependent on performance, its more politics
    In the MEA region loads of unhappy customers due to poor account management

Advice to Senior ManagementTake good care of good people, and use more performance metrics other than just revenue....

Good benefits and flexibility, poor prospects

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Reading, England (UK)

ProsGood stable employer
    Fantastic benefits and very flexible with it
    Good training opportunities

ConsSmall cog in a huge machine type situation
    Not much internal movement - often overly specific job specs for internal people
    If they don't value you, they just starve you out with lack of pay raises

Advice to Senior ManagementShake things up a bit, encourage more movement between divisions

Company knows how to grow, sell and make money efficiently.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery solid financials, have multiple strong areas with growth and have really good strategy linking all parts of their business model together.

ConsDepending on which area of the business your are in they are quite ruthless with staff and it is not exactly a "fun" environment to work. Very pressured, cash focused and not so much people focused.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hearing that "our people are our assets" but this does not resonate with any experience I have had.

Very process driven

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Reading, England (UK)

Pros- Flexible work hours (work from home)
    - No micro-management, in my role I get a lot of self-management
    - Very clever colleagues
    - Nice office, nice restaurant

Cons- very process driven , hard to get any done without yet another template to fill out or review board to attend
    - no middle management empowerment - some basic decisions/purchases need to be approved by top of management.
    - No significant salary increases or bonus for the last 4 years
    - Career progression quite tricky
    - Quite a lot of competition/ in-fighting between departments

Advice to Senior ManagementLook after your staff... "Retaining Talent" is more then just a buzz-word.

Good but rigid company

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

ProsGood work culture, good exposure to technology, good facilities, even the management understands technology and so it is easier to communicate to them when we talk about the technology.

ConsAll of the company policies are good but have underlying condition "up to manager's discretion"... and so you will hardly get what you expect out of those policies, how much ever genuine your request may be...

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement needs to be little lenient when considering the employee's request.... some requests are genuine and can be approved based on the Oracle policies.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!