Oral Roberts University

Updated June 29, 2014
Updated June 29, 2014
3.7

CEO

Oral Roberts University is an institution formed by individuals who passionately pursue growth and excellence in all.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Oral Roberts University as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The Christian foundation of the university as the core causes Oral Roberts to have a high standard of good ethics and high company values. Employers are equally handled and treated in all different departments. Their is a high ambition for growth and a strong drive to excel that is immersed into all its students, faculty and staff as a whole.

Cons

The pay for student positions is low.

Consider each worker as an individual and evaluate its personal skills to see in what areas of the company they fit and collaborate best.

Things have changed. Globalization distracts the vision of ORU`

I have been working at Oral Roberts University

Pros

The pros left with the last administration

Cons

Current senior management has all but deserted ORU in favor of globalization. Alumni and parents are scratching their heads.

Be transparent.

ORU at Cityplex Towers

I have been working at Oral Roberts University full-time

Pros

The people are friendly there.

Cons

Low wages makes it hard to retain employees.

ORU? Okay.

Former Employee - Held IV Different Positions While There in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Held IV Different Positions While There in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Oral Roberts University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was younger when I worked at ORU. I was in the admissions office and took on several roles including being a temporary Office Manager, but I enjoyed it very much for the most part.

Cons

My only complaint would be that the manager of the department cried too easily and often. Personally, I believe that even when things are difficult, especially the manager should maintain some sort of control over ourselves. Another thing would be, the head counselor was always asking me to prepare long reports, but he always took full credit for it instead of me like it should have been.

I never met anybody in the upper management other than my manager while there.

Great Job

Former Employee - Cross Campus in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Cross Campus in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Oral Roberts University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, excellent staff, Christian university

Cons

Some disorganization in lower managerment

Communication is key in any work place, focus more on communication and things will run smoothly

Good team with many opportunities for growth

Former Employee - Senior Server Administrator in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Senior Server Administrator in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Oral Roberts University full-time

Pros

There are a lot of knowledgeable IT professionals on the team. This is a private Christian University and the employees live by a 'lifestyle' code. Not unlike the Ethics codes that have been adopted by most Fortune 100 companies, but there are some differences. They have a fairly modern IT department with opportunities to learn using most modern technologies. VMware, Microsoft AD, a comprehensive and modern network (though not Cisco), various flavors of Oracle and Microsoft SQL, a lot of Linux, and a sophisticated Data Center.

Cons

Salaries rarely change. Income growth can only be achieved through an increase in skillsets and a move up in the organization. It is sometimes difficult to make necessary improvements due to budget restraints.

Take a look at your salary range in comparison to other organizations in your vertical (HigherEd). Not other private Christian schools across the midwest, but other HigherEd teams in Oklahoma. That is where you are competing for employees.

Oral Roberts University, what?

Former Employee - Travel Sec, Grad Program Sec, Systems Manager, Office Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Oral Roberts University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong morals and integrity and there is nothing I can say bad about ORU except they were good to me.
    The system manager left ORU in short notice and I was chosen to pull daily DOS reports which was fun and challenging.

Cons

I think the most difficult time for me was when it became my responsibility to merge positions into one fluent, efficient position so they could lay people off.

One simple thing, Don't forget where you came from.

Excellence At Work

Current Employee - Admissions Director in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Admissions Director in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Oral Roberts University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They serve their employees and students with dignity and support

Cons

Compensation can be more. Employees should be paid more.

Upper Management cares about the whole person

Amazing Work Environment

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Oral Roberts University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good People
    Helpful Co-workers
    Adequate Work conditions

Cons

Low Pay-rate (Minimum Wage)
    Weekly schedule hard to follow

Despite the problems, I love working here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Oral Roberts University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many faculty and staff have invested years of their lives into the university and believe strongly in its mission. Service to the students is our first priority. Recent significant pay raises have been given to the faculty,

Cons

Many of the staff are seriously underpaid. Some departments are understaffed. The library is understaffed and underfunded. Many of the middle managers and administrators appear either powerless or unwilling to effect change. The new president does not have the necessary knowledge base to effectively do his job. There are long term money problems.

Management needs to listen to the concerns expressed by faculty and staff, especially those who have been there long term, and then it needs to act on that feedback. Too often feedback is sought, but then ignored. Long-term faculty and tenured faculty member need to be treated with greater respect. They need to be consulted regularly, and their recommendations need to be taken seriously.