Orange Business Services

Updated January 20, 2015
3.5

Orange Business Services Directeur Exécutif Thierry Bonhomme
Thierry Bonhomme

Pros
  • There is also a good work-life balance culture practiced in the company (in 43 reviews)

• Work environment Diversity, work flexibility, Good benefits , global workplace (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • No career path but you should draw it by yourself and decide what you want to be (in 15 reviews)

• No/low opportunities for career progression outside of France and low cost countries (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

A Very Rewarding Career (while it lasted)

Former Employee - Network Implementation Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Network Implementation Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Orange Business Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I had a 20 year career with OBS during which time I held several key positions.
    I received excellent company sponsored training over the years. Great managers and staff.
    Collaborative team work, virtual teams and exposure to many facets a global network operating in 220 countries.
    Plus excellent exposure to a diversity of cultures.

Cons

lots of competition in the Americas led to downsizing and sending jobs to India which led to my demise.

Take me back ... Please!

VOIP Field Engineer

I have been working at Orange Business Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working for Orange Business Service for about a year as a field Engineer. Now that I have completed my studies and gained experience from LinkedLines, falls church IT company as well as from Orange Business Service, I am looking for a permanent job in your vacancies.

Cons

The fact that I couldn't say no during your late hours and holiday calls could be taken my personal downside in irony.

No advices.

International Company

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Orange Business Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great PTO policy, small company feel in North America, opportunity for career growth/advancement, some really great people work at Orange

Cons

Lack of support from French headquarters in North America, difficult to be innovative, entrenched old school telco culture that is afraid of change

Allow freedom to innovate

Cool work culture. Lot of opportunity to learn new technology

I worked at Orange Business Services

Pros

Chance to work on new technologies

Cons

Low Salary hike
    chances of Growth is very less

Orange business reviews

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Orange Business Services

Pros

while there is self nomination policies with expectations of feedback, often positions are filled without even interviews

Cons

the business base and margins on repeat business appear to be shrinking. 2014 saw redundancies in some high cost countries

Great co-workers, great benefits, poor leadership; Company is struggling to keep up with the market

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Orange Business Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, great benefits with lots of time off. Most people get to work from home at least a couple of times a week. I didn't experience any micromanaging. There is a lot training opportunity. It's an international company, so you work with people from all over the world. There are great people at the company, most who have been there for many years.

Cons

The company is struggling to compete price-wise and services-wise. AT&T can offer cheaper network services than Orange can in the U.S. The bigger profits are made off of services on top of network, such as VoIP, Video Conferencing, Cloud, etc. While Orange offers these products, mostly through partnerships with other companies, they have done a poor job of training on them, integrating them into tools for implementation and supporting sales and account teams to sell these products. The company is laying off most of its sales support and implementation teams and is moving it to India and Brazil to save costs, which is hurting morale and weakening service delivery.

Invest in a super tool that centralizes all the quoting, ordering and implementation processes into one place. Integrate the technical documentation into this super tool, as well. Move away from centralized implementation and sales support and create regional Sales and implementation teams that work together. Move more quickly to selling additional services, especially Cloud, to boost revenue margin.

Agile Software Development at Orange Business Services

Current Employee - Scrum Master in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Scrum Master in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Orange Business Services as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

This team has been using Agile over two years and has implemented a quoting portal into production. Further development toward a quote-to-bill solution is in progress. Automated testing is being added to speed regression testing. Upper management is overseeing the program which when done will be turned over to and maintained by the IS department.

Cons

Computing resources are somewhat limited, since this is funded by the local branch.

Lots to learn here

I worked at Orange Business Services full-time

Pros

Cab facility is free. The best attraction.

Cons

- Ever since Management control got transferred from France to India, things went from Good, to Bad to worse. Managers openly favor their chosen guys, they're not scared of HR or any rules or policies. Thats because HR does not appreciate any comments or communication from employee. They always ask you to come through manager. And if you're brave enough to directly inform HR of any issue, they are very prompt in informing manager about your "behavior". And you can guess what that results into.
    - Managers like to be called "sir". Don't try and follow the culture of calling him by first name. He'll not say anything. But you'll realize your mistake later on.
    - You need to be good in certain skills involving smoking and drinking with "sir" if you really have ambitions of career growth or an increment of higher than 6%. If not, just be at peace with life as it is going, and stay invisible within the team.
    - The French management may be aware of these things, but they wouldn't mind as long as they are getting the results. So your world is ruled within a vicious circle of managers and hr. Performance is not judged based on your technical capabilities, skills or results. You may have worked wonders or done the impossible to ensure productivity. That doesn't matter. But if you're the little pet sitting at the feet of manager waiting for him to pat on your back, then the world is yours.

Management knows exactly what I'm talking about.
    The last thing they need is an advice from someone.

Technical Architect

I have been working at Orange Business Services full-time

Pros

International, Multicultural, financially stable, good management, excellent benefits

Cons

no much promotions, training yourself, average salary,

Great benefits and people, terrible leadership

I worked at Orange Business Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people at Orange are top notch and willing to go the extra mile to help you. The salary and benefits are among the best I have seen, although raises do not happen more than once every 4-5 years. The ability to work remotely is fantastic. Their PTO policy is beyond amazing. I left with 35 days of PTO/year.

Cons

Leadership is virtually non-existent. They are afraid to invest and are just trying to protect what they have today. It's a circling the drain mentality. There is nowhere to go in terms of advancement within the region. They do not invest in staff whether it is with training or mentorship. Reorganizations are painfully slow and cause the sales gears to grind to a halt for 6+ months. Products are half baked when they arrive, and they are very slow to adapt to the market. When trying to break into new areas, they do not invest in people, skills, or the business. They ask one or two people to take on the initiative on top of their existing roles, and they do not back them up by trying to buy a few references to jump start the initiative.

First and foremost, find a new full-time head of the region. Splitting time between France and the Americas is doing a disservice to both groups. Shake up your leadership team. It's virtually the same people from 6 years ago. New ideas are needed. Stand up for the region and truly rejuvenate the people and product mix. The past 2 reorgs did nothing other than shuffle deck chairs. Bring in a new breed of rep, specialist, etc., that understands and has succeeded in a services organization. Lose the emphasis on low margin gear and maintenance and focus on high margin services and consulting. Lead and evolve the region. Don't just manage it.

Orange Business Services Photos