Orange County Government

Updated January 21, 2015
Updated January 21, 2015
3.3

CEO

Great Pay, Very Political Environment (as expected)

Current Employee - Business Development Intern in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Business Development Intern in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orange County Government as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay for interns
    Learn the services provided by your local government
    Ability to take training/professional development courses
    Access to meetings and budgets
    Network with local businesses

Cons

Political environment (watch what you say)
    Slow process for change
    Must compile proof of all work completed and communications (internal and external)

Invaluable Training & Preparation

Former Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Orlando, FL

I worked at Orange County Government full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefit of working in government is the invaluable experience and exposure to employee relations and working with unions. Because of the diversity of the County, working as an HR Analyst (basically a Generalist position) in a Service Center trained me in working in recruitment, employee relations, benefits, training, HRIS management systems, and federal and state mandates such as ADA and FMLA. Plus, the benefits are competitive, of the highest of quality, varied, and abundant.

Cons

No one can slave for two masters but in the Service Centers, we're expected to. We're caught in the middle between HR management and the Department and it became increasing hard to maintain a balance and a beneficial relationship between the two. If one was happy, 9 times out of 10, the other was not.

When making changes or improvements to processes and systems, get input from those on the front line. All too often, changes are incorporated and then filtered out to the service centers but the practicality of it makes the adjustment ineffective and/or cumbersome.

Love the job

I have been working at Orange County Government

Pros

Big Dept with opportunities to get promoted

Cons

Pay is not that great

Easy job

I worked at Orange County Government part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked for the OCPL system. The job was easy, and the people were nice. It was a very easygoing environment.

Cons

The wages were fairly low, but that's expected in a government job. I was mostly left to do my own thing, which, I enjoyed, but some of my coworkers slacked off a lot and didn't do much.

The training could be more thorough, and management could check in on workers and make sure they're actually working.

Correctional Officer for 4 Years

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orange County Government full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of working for Orange County Corrections is the job security. There is a good retirement plan, and plenty of overtime available for those who like to work a lot. Insurance is decent.

Cons

Insurance is steadily declining. Every year it seems they look for someone even cheaper. You tend to go a stretch without getting a raise unless you get promoted. The vacation time you accrue is absolutely horrible. They don't match other counties who work the same hours as us. It takes a month and a half to get enough time for one day off.

I have learned a great deal about public service and grown professionally during my time here

Current Employee - Public Administrator in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Public Administrator in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orange County Government full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Vast opportunities for entry-level to grow and learn. Great benefits for individual and families, discounts with partners and fair compensation

Cons

Not a lot of opportunitiy for educational advancement from employer financial support. There is still a bit of good old boy mentality and senses of entitlement occurring.

Incorporate diversity and see the need to offer some scholarship programs to get our seasoned talent to further their education. The county needs to be more progressive to compete with the private sector for emerging talent.

Great people...but VERY LOW PAY

Former Employee - OPS Clerical Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - OPS Clerical Specialist in Orlando, FL

I worked at Orange County Government part-time (less than a year)

Pros

People, Workload, and the Lifestyle & environment we great. If they actually had reasonable above walmart salary...it would be one of the best places to work.

Cons

The pay made a job at Walmart look great. It is kind of ironic that working at the Department of Revenue has no money to pay you. Yet these people hold sensitive information on a large amount of Florida's citizens yet get paid pennies to manage it.

You all need at LEAST a 20k raise (management included) for the great work you do. I am surprised you work for the little you do get paid.

I will suggest, you can't keep new hires that are well qualified employees with the salary that low. I left for a career job because I couldn't live on that salary.

Benefits are terrible

I worked at Orange County Government full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the people you work with are great.

Cons

The pay and benefits are definitely sub-par.

Take care of your people and they will take care of you,

it was a great place to work

Former Employee - Industrial Mechanic II in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Industrial Mechanic II in Orlando, FL

I worked at Orange County Government full-time (more than a year)

Pros

my hours of work , lots of overtime , you work at your own pace , most of my co-workers where very friendly , my boss was one of the best bosses you could have.

Cons

upper management don't believe every thing you hear.

upper management don't believe every thing you hear.

Lab Employee

I have been working at Orange County Government full-time

Pros

-Job Security
    -Management doesn't bother you because management doesn't know you exist.

Cons

Lack of communication from superiors. Majority of employees are not made aware of changes or given consistent information. Management is poor and has little concern for workers. Management doesn't seem aware of who is working hard and who isn't. No one seems to be making sure people are actually doing their job correctly or in a timely manner. Poor/incapable employees routinely get promotions based on social position not ability or effort.

The value of the employee should be based on merit not race. Some form of merit pay should be instituted. Inquiry for Regular employee feed back would be productive.