Orange County Schools

Updated Jun 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

My experience with Orange County Schools was very rewarding

School Nurse (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsI was able to apply the nursing process in the school setting with medical fragile students. it was a very rewarding experience for me with lots of personal growth such as health fairs for the different schools. I also had tremendous impact with teacher and students.

ConsOrganize training to the para-professional, teachers, clerks and nurses

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain good communication, support with upper management

A good school district; very low pay for such a large urban district.

Middle School ESE Teacher (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsMost teachers and principals I've worked with have been great people who really care about students and education. Vacation days and summers off are a big plus.

ConsThe cons often vary from school to school. However, in every public school you'll find the maddening bureaucracy of a large government organization; expectations constantly changing at the whims of politicians and upper management; and pressure to show objective growth data in a very subjective field that deals with the psychology of human beings.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay teachers at a rate that is competitive with surrounding counties, including those in south Florida. Loosen up with the Orwellian expectations you have for teachers' use of technology.

Overall, a good school district to work for.

Orlando, FL

ProsSome good things include it's a big school district, well organized, with lots of opportunities. Employees receive standard benefits (although you do pay quite a bit for them if you have a family) and teachers follow the typical school calendar. Lots of opportunities for professional development.

ConsOne of the biggest drawbacks is low pay. If you're a retiree, you will have to be rehired each year. Evaluations are a little ridiculous with the new focus on Marzano. Teachers aren't very respected by anyone. There isn't much access to technology (especially for students).

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that teachers are the backbone of education and respect the effort that they put in. Getting input from teachers prior to implementing policies would be a good idea.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unprofessional

ProsPay is constant, and reliable.

ConsTakes forever to get anything done. Passing the buck is constant.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive advice, not just criticism.

Fantastic experience

ProsMy school is fantastic! Great support and multiple resources as well as resource teachers

ConsThe state is very involved, paras have been taken away so there isn't any extra help

Advice to Senior ManagementStay on top of things

Many hours, low pay, disrespect, and no acknowledgement.

ProsSummers are kind of time off but you spend so much time preparing for the next year and spending your measly salary on students who don't care.

ConsMany hours each day after school. Students who are disrespectful. Marzano. The fact that we aren't supposed to write referrals because we don't want to look like we have behavior problems at our school when the sad reality is the kids have started to run the place.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your teachers some genuine help and a pat on the back once in a while, and maybe a raise would be nice. If you see a child kicking a teacher or punching another student maybe you should help out instead of turning the other way.

OCPS Technology

Technology Support Representative (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsGreat co-workers that have become friends

Consupper management needs a drastic change

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the day to day employees

A great place to begin your teaching career!

Orlando, FL

ProsOCPS fosters a great learning environment for its professionals, offering numerous opportunities for professional development both formally and in professional learning communities.

ConsRecent changes in the educational landscape (shifting to Common Core, the new teacher evaluation system) have triggered stress for many teachers.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide authentic professional support to teachers, rather than rhetoric, and implement measures to support employee wellness, so they can achieve a work/personal life balance.

Amazing work environment.

Technology Support Specialist (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsGood hours, work environment, coworkers, and benefits package.
    Responsible for entire campus, sometimes two.

ConsPay is at the low end of national average.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour in the 10th largest school district in the country. The technology department shouldn't be some of the lowest paid techs.

Corrupt, in a long process of spiraling failure.

Orlando, FL

ProsThe only consolation for being a Teacher in orange county public schools is being able to help the students.

Cons- The school system prevents teachers from being able to adapt style and lessons to best fit each student.
    - Administration is extremely corrupt. Principles and school board members can get DUI's and be legally driving the following day.
    - Administration will hire people who they know, even if they are unfit for those positions.
    - Teachers are required to do so much additional paper work, you will spend most of your time not teaching.
    - The required work load will have you spending 60-80 hours a week just to keep up.
    - No pay raises or cost of living increases in you wages. Effectively you will get payed less to work each year.
    - A masters degree will give you a one time bonus of about 2k dollars.
    - Administration will guilt teachers into putting more time in and sponsoring events beyond what is reasonable. "Its for the good of the children, why aren't you doing this?"
    - Support staff are being let go. Teachers are 'encouraged' to make up for lack of base staff.

Worked for Orange County Schools? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Orange County Schools reviews and ratings. All 43 reviews posted anonymously by Orange County Schools employees.