Orange Regional Medical Center

Updated Feb 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lead, Department Secretary

Lead, Department Secretary (Current Employee)

ProsState of the art service and beautiful environment.

ConsYou need to learn your way around because it's so big :-)

Decent place to work

ProsThey seem to be interested in making the community healthier. The facility is brand new and well equipped. They have committed mid-level management that really seem to want to make things better.

ConsThe use a lot of consultants to tell them what to do. Management has turned over a lot in recent years. The union can make change difficult and rewards tenure rather than merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork closely with workers and the community. Get the union on your side.

Great place to work. Beautiful new hospital.

ProsGood benefits, good pay, good people.

ConsUnion environment can lead to problems.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, poor pay.

PC Tech (Current Employee)
    Middletown, NY

ProsThe best reasons to work for ORMC are the close knit environment and the skills you can learn here. The people are absolutely great at ORMC, especially the Arden Hill campus. Its very easy to make friends and get to know people on a personal basis which helps take away the stress and rigours of the day. Since its a large multi facility hospital, there are always plenty of things to learn. As an IT worker, you have to learn lots of different systems that must integrate with each other yet are sometimes so disparate and specialized that no one knows them very well. Every day there is a chance to learn new things which also helps to stave off boredom and monotony.

ConsI would say that the biggest downside working at ORMC is the lack of pay. As the county's largest employer aside from the government, they really set the scales as to who gets paid what. For most job classes, especially in IT, its far below what the national average is. Going back to how you constantly learn new things at ORMC, this is also a curse. You learn so much and take on so much more responsibility that you quickly outpace your job title and pay level. This and the fact that raises and promotions are so hard to come by makes it a frustrating place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to senior management would be to stop penny pinching and give the people who bring in the patients, maintain the facilities and take care of all its intricacies some more money. There are FAR too many people effectively working multiple positions in one lousy pay grade and there are many more who are being crushed by the low pay grades. We, the employees of ORMC, are hurting financially and morally.

It is a mixed blessing.

ProsDecent pay close to home. Knowledgeable co-workers who really care about the job and work for the patient's best interests despite some of the working conditions. Excellent team players.

Consstaff is verbally abused and spoken down to. Staffing ratios are often ignored or deliberately broken and staff is berated and threatened with write-ups for protesting additional patient in unsafe ( highly acute) situations. Transfer of patients from floor to floor is timed and staff is harassed during transfer creating potentially unsafe conditions. Constantly told " ...we don't staff for what ifs..." when short staffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease respect that the staff has a commitment to excellence in patient care and wants absolute respect for our organization in our community. This is hard to accomplish when we are short staffed and are missing equipment and supplies. Our managers are too busy watching the budget to see if the staff is exhausted and stressed, and are themselves pushed to stress us further. Be aware that the patients and their families DO notice.
        Remember that we too are part of the community. Some us us are going elsewhere to have services done because we are too well aware of working conditions and shortages and wish to keep our families safe.
         We hear from other community members, who know that we work there, when they have had bad experiences. How do we hold our head up with pride when we know what's going on and can't justify it to our neighbors?
          Please help make us proud to be a part of the ORMC family again.

Worked for Orange Regional Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Orange Regional Medical Center reviews and ratings. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Orange Regional Medical Center employees.