OrangeSoda

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Todd Leeloy

Great Place To Work.

Enterprise Account Manager (Current Employee) American Fork, UT

ProsGreat people with great work ethic. I have have had great opportunity to grow here, and have a voice for change. Great health benefits and time off. You are rewarded for hard work.

ConsHonestly I don't feel there is anything worth mentioning. If you have a good attitude about working, and you take pride in your work you will be fine here.

I learned a lot about SEO and PPC and worked with a lot of great people.

ProsThe people and culture and satisfaction when recognized for a job well done.

ConsIt was hard to keep up with the latest Algorithms. Hard to keep up with what Google trends were.

Advice to Senior ManagementA company is only as good as it's people.

A Company on the Rise

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsI have worked at OrangeSoda for over two years now and can tell you it's all about the people! I really enjoy working for a company who really invests in there employees to help them grow. OrangeSoda has really stepped up this past year and I am so excited for where we are headed. The majority of the senior leadership team is on point and are doing all the right things to grow the business and engage with employees.

ConsI would say with all the transition that has taken place this last year, OrangeSoda has done an amazing job adapting, growing, and innovating to make things better. The one area that is still a concern is with one of the key leaders. No matter how many employees and managers bring up concerns or leave do issues with this individual, they seem to be untouchable. It has affected employee moral and has put a damper on the creative and cohesive environment there used to be. That being said every company has areas where they can improve and I am hopeful that we will things change.

Advice to Senior ManagementBesides what I mentioned above, keep doing what your doing. We are on the right track and I know the future looks really bright!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company went downhill after buyout

Content Specialist (Former Employee) American Fork, UT

ProsGood people, casual, flexible work schedule

ConsMicromanagement, distrust of employees, unclear objectives, unstable working environment, undervalued

Learned a lot, gave me great opportunities

Engineer (Former Employee) American Fork, UT

ProsI was on the development team, so my experiences at OS will be different from others who were in fulfillment or elsewhere.

I was given great opportunities to grow, learn new things, and worked with great people. I really liked my boss and the VP of the engineering. I was given generous raises and it seemed like leadership in engineering tried hard to retain employees and keep them happy. I left because I felt like a change and wanted a new set of challenges and opportunities.

There are also occasional team lunches, an over the top Halloween party, and a ping-pong table, if you're into that sort of stuff.

ConsLack of focus as a company and with its products. This means the development team was sometimes pulled in too many directions and not given enough time to focus on making great software. It also seemed like there wasn't quite enough communication within different teams in engineering, and it wasn't uncommon for one team to be doing something that affected what another team was working on, and no one to have any idea of that.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngineering management was great. I think it could be improved by adding someone with more design and user-experience background to the management team.

The senior management team (VPs and C-level people) seemed to have very high turnover, which may have contributed to issues with lack of a solid direction as a company. I'd recommend trying to keep people around for longer.

As noted by others, unpredictable emotional outbursts and strong profanity from the GM during company wide meetings is unacceptable and unprofessional. I was also once in a meeting with my team giving a presentation to him and he sat there glued to his phone the whole time and seemed to hardly pay attention. I hope he steps up to become a more mature leader.

It would also be nice if Deluxe stepped back a bit more and allowed OS to work things out without so much oversight.

Company Going Down Hill

ProsThe dress code is casual.

ConsThere are no promotions and the office culture sucks. Todd Leeloy could care less about his employees and is constantly thinking he is better than anybody else. He is NOT a good CEO, nor is he a professional person whatsoever.

The products are constantly changing and nobody ends up knowing what they are doing resulting in angry customers and constant cancellations.

I have never felt so under-appreciated for what I do in my job. I have worked at OrangeSoda for over a year now and I am appalled at how certain individuals in the company, ESPECIALLY the CEO treats me. I cannot wait to quite and move onto something bigger and better.

Don't bother even thinking about hiring OR working for OrangeSoda. Like me, you will soon see that it was a mistake.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Deluxe and Todd Leeloy.

Like escaping a burning building...

Account Manager (Former Employee) American Fork, UT

ProsUsed to be enjoyable, and a decent amount of the old, fun, hard-working employees are still there.
    Very understanding and empathetic managers in Service & Fulfillment.

ConsMorale is painfully low. Employees are leaving constantly.
    Lay-offs are the norm, even though management keeps saying 'last time'.
    Pay is low.
    Health benefits are expensive.
    Team-building activities and the like are now seen as 'distractions'.
    3rd party bid management software is crammed down your throat, regardless of performance impact.
    Product was sub-par and never improved for well over 2 years (which is what essentially started the whole mess...)
    Lack of transparency. You couldn't even know what your salary range was.

Advice to Senior ManagementRather than getting personal, I will say this:
    Motivation and creativity is stifled when the GM uses blanket statements like everyone at OrangeSoda wastes too much time on YouTube and Facebook...
    My advice is this: Motivate.

Does It Matter If I'm A Current Or Former Employee?

Account Manager (Current Employee) American Fork, UT

ProsStill has a lot of great people who to save the sinking ship.

ConsI completely agree with the other reviews that have been given in regards to poor business decisions and lack of communication. The only communication that we receive is when the leadership of the company wants to pull us into a meeting and scold all of us.

Leadership Fails To Motivate:
    When things started getting really bad and we were seeing lots of turnover, we were called into a mandatory meeting where we were told that we shouldn't expect to enjoy our jobs, but rather to look at Orangesoda as "a job". Well, that's obviously back-firing. Who would want to work in a job that they don't enjoy? Clearly Deluxe needs to step in with new leadership and get some people in there that know how to motivate and inspire rather than degrade and belittle.

Leadership Stifles innovation:
    There was a team of employees that created a new product for the company (they weren't even on the product team) that everyone was so excited about. This was going to be the "thing" that pulled Orangesoda out of the abyss. However, all but one has now left the company due to being treated poorly and told that they shouldn't have been working on it in the first place. What was the thought process there? Now we are stuck with a half-finished product that nobody else completely understands and it will never be launched.

These are just a few examples of things that I've seen happen at Orangesoda. I would advise anyone who is looking at hiring on at OS to look for employment elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementGlassdoor.com has already caused quite the drama for Orangesoda as we were all placed in a room, yelled and cursed at for someone having left a review that was marked as "current employee". Heaven forbid, on a site that is meant to provide anonymous honest feedback. In the future, I'd advise you take that feedback and see where you can improve rather than chastise those who work for you.

Disappointing

Fulfillment Team (Current Employee) American Fork, UT

ProsCausal dress code (but that's pretty standard for this industry).

Cons---Culture---

When I started working for OrangeSoda there was a fun, happy culture. It has since disappeared completely. There is no motivation from upper management. Instead, the company is constantly chastised for not being productive enough or "wasting" too much time. Fun things do not exist here anymore.

---Management---

The biggest problem is the lack of leadership. As mentioned in other reviews they don't really do anything. The ones that live in the state mostly come in late and leave early. The two people in the highest management positions don't even live in the same state, yet they control and make all company decisions. They have ruined company morale. Any innovation from within is met with statements like "Why are you working on that? You should only be focused on your day jobs."

The only thing that is consistent with upper management is their catered lunches. They constantly whine about how the company is bleeding money but they spend extravagant amounts on themselves.

Promotions and "Employee of the Month" awards are mostly handed out to friends. Nepotism and favoritism are alive here. There are too many people in positions they don't deserve.

There is no accountability for any upper management. If something goes wrong the blame is always placed on the "grunt" workers.

---Product---

You can't polish a turd. That's the best way to describe what has been OrangeSoda's product line for the last 2 years. They are slow to change and when new ideas and even fully fleshed out products are presented they are turned away and discarded.

2 years ago OrangeSoda's "Black-Hat" tactics worked. Then Google came out with their updates and the SEO world changed. Only OrangeSoda didn't change. They carried on using the same terrible tactics for the next 2 years. They knew the product wasn't working yet still sold it to clients by making impossible promises about keyword rankings.

OS also has a dishonest sales team that knows if the client lasts at least a month they still get their commission. Then when the client does cancel (usually within the first few months) the blame gets put on the fulfillment team - not the dishonest sales team, or the terrible product.

---Development Team---

OrangeSoda has poured millions of dollars into their development team and have basically nothing to show for it. OrangeSoda still uses an in-house CRM that doesn't work. Everyone on the fulfillment side complains about it, but nothing ever changes. Upper management never uses it so they don't understand that it doesn't work. Another respected company is literally right down the street and OrangeSoda could very easily outsource this work to them and solve so many problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey have plenty of people begging to help them out, but they are too dumb to listen.

Learn enough here to get a job elsewhere

SEO Analyst (Former Employee) American Fork, UT

ProsThey've started paying people better and they have reasonably good benefits

ConsThey have slaughtered the culture

Advice to Senior ManagementTake on fewer, higher paying customers and then hire people to do real work instead of churn out spam

Worked for OrangeSoda? Contribute to the Community!