OrangeSoda

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
2.5

Todd Leeloy

Pros
  • Still has a lot of great people who to save the sinking ship (in 10 reviews)

• Orangesoda used to be a fun place to work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • OrangeSoda tries to help small businesses compete with online marketing (in 4 reviews)

• OrangeSoda has poured millions of dollars into their development team and have basically nothing to show for it (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Formerly an awesome company now going through growing pains.

Former Employee - Account Manager in American Fork, UT

I worked at OrangeSoda full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tuition reimbursement, great health benefits, 10 "holidays", fair time-off policies. There are some great corporate benefits at OrangeSoda. The people, particularly those from the early OrangeSoda days, are awesome to work with. The dress code is very casual, and overall a laid back office. Upper management seems very competent and have great vision.

Cons

The SEO products are not working as well as they hoped it would. When the product doesn't work as great, conversations with the customer become very uncomfortable and awkward. Where management excels in competency, they lack in execution making work for those who have to deal directly with the customer very stressful.

Continue working to find a way to make the product work and scalable, find a way to show employees more appreciation with fun (affordable/free) activities. The corporate world of Deluxe does not sit well with the young, bright, and extremely talented people in Utah County. Find a way to make the office fun again, even something as simple as bringing back the ping pong table.

Another victim of more layoffs

I worked at OrangeSoda full-time

Pros

Great coworkers, great benefits, lots of PTO, good location

Cons

Job insecurity, lack of corporate integration, lack of strategic focus

Stop with the constant layoffs...and be more sensitive to your hiring. This will prevent having to let a group go every 6 months. Also, I would scrap your inhouse development...the programs are buggy and a constant impediment to workflows. If you want to get costs under control, why not ask your employees on how instead of cutting payroll every time? You are getting to the point where there are no employees to run the business.

Terrible to the Employees

Current Employee - Account Management
    Current Employee - Account Management

I have been working at OrangeSoda full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

OrangeSoda was once an amazing place to work, with great management and caring, professional executives. The co-workers are great (well, what's left of them after the monthly layoffs).

Cons

The new management is horribly unprofessional. I can't begin to count how many times there were meetings where insults and swearing were the main points. Nobody ever feels secure in their job, as people are being laid-off literally monthly. After being acquired by Deluxe, they feel a great need to lay off numerous employees right before Christmas each year. OrangeSoda was once a great company to work for, now it's just an unprofessional, downhill mess, that's always on a "hiring freeze."

Maybe seek some management training.

Going Down-Hill

I have been working at OrangeSoda full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The healthcare benefits and PTO benefits are the only reason I stayed with the company.

Cons

The biggest con is that there are some teams that are extremely underpaid. There is no opportunity for growth. The culture has completely gone down-hill. Todd Leeloy, the current GM, doesn't care about his employees.

I worked at OrangeSoda for three years. The first two years were the best and the last year was definitely the worst. The company was recently acquired by Deluxe. Because of this, new salaries, rules, culture, and ethics were put into place. Since the company was acquired, all I can say is that the communication stopped, new tactics were put into place that nobody knew about, and OrangeSoda is just a mess! They underpay some of their employees and make it impossible to get a raise. Even after three years. Three years ago, I would highly recommend this company to anyone. Now, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

Not a company on the rise, nor a company going downhill...

Former Employee - Engineer in American Fork, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in American Fork, UT

I worked at OrangeSoda full-time

Pros

Most of the pros were in the past before Deluxe started meddling...

I will say that OrangeSoda consists of great people but if you want to be friends you better do it on your own time.

Todd is...new to Utah (which is it's own world in and of itself) but he's gone out of his way to modify his behavior to be more with the status-quo which I respect immensely.

Cons

Anyone who says that OrangeSoda is a 'company on the rise' is probably Deluxe sponsored. At the time of my leaving there wasn't a single person who would have said that with a straight face.

Todd isn't a bad guy... Utah people like Utah people. That's the only reason people give him a hard time >_>

However,

To be frank OrangeSodas Engineers aren't paid enough to deal with the mess management had made for us nor with the rapidly deteriorating work environment that favored robotic apathy over genuine humanity.

Projects and Products are pushed out the door far too quickly and buggy code is very common. I can't tell you how many times I wrote very poor code so that I could hit some unrealistic deadline someone else had made for me.

I also got the feeling that the Engineers were at the bottom of Deluxe's priority list. It seemed that we were constantly cutting corners financially and resorted to hiring somewhat competent overseas workers to save money. If we ever DID need anything it seemed like an act of congress to actually get something done (anyone remember how that went?).

The last straw for me was the sense of overwhelming favoritism towards some members of the organization. Several people were hired simply because the knew someone in management NOT because they were actually fit to be managers. There was one individual whose whole job seemed to be to give people a hard time about 'efficiency' which is laughable from a Software Development standpoint.

Simply put, there are too many companies in the area that pay far better and have a much better working environment for any competent Software Developer to consider working at OrangeSoda.

My advice to management would be to stop trying to make Valencia work. It does not.

Throw it all away and start over.

Stop treating your developers like expendable pieces in the machine, because unlike other workers under Deluxe we can find a new job within a week.

Fund the engineering team PROPERLY. Want to complain about how slow the software is? Do so ONLY after you've given us the technology to figure out how and why.

And stop the deadlines.

It'll get done when it gets done. At least then you'll know it was done well.

Good While It Lasted

Former Employee - Content Editor in American Fork, UT
    Former Employee - Content Editor in American Fork, UT

I worked at OrangeSoda full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, fun Company culture (for awhile), good Company values.

Cons

Lots of culture/atmosphere changes came with new GM. Salary and benefits were not great. No real chance to advance in career path.

Better than a Coal Mine

Former Employee - Account Manager in American Fork, UT

I worked at OrangeSoda full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent employees on the ground level. You're sure to meet new folks you'll stay in touch with for the rest of your life. Lower level management is also incredible. Computers are assigned to all employees, and in most cases will come with two monitors. The facility is well lit, there are ample bathrooms, there is a break room, and the water and air are clean. Perhaps the greatest "Pro" of this company is that it's located in the United States of America -so all laws, privileges, and infrastructure therein create a dignified yet reasonably casual working environment.

Cons

My opinion is that most employees at OrangeSoda were hired into a fun loving, seemingly successful company that managed with the needs of the employee in mind. With the advent of Deluxe and its management, the culture and management techniques became cold (albeit hardly calculated). Most employees saw a warm future with OrangeSoda, when it became clear that was unobtainable, people left. Not just a few either. In the last 14 months I would guess that at least 60-70% of client facing, and executive level, employees have left the company. This is in part as a result of a challenge from the new General Manager of the company who boldly (and colorfully) told employees that if they didn't like they way things are going, they can leave. This, in my peon opinion, was a serious falter from the new king. Past leadership would have taken negative employee feedback as an opportunity to connect with the proletariat, worked to improve the attitude and morale of the company, and take steps to make personal improvements. Instead we were told not to let the door hit us on the way out. So that's exactly what we did, and many of us packed up our boxes and set sail.

The internal software used for basically every task is slow, inconsistent, faulty, inefficient, and always less than promised. Outsourcing to a professional company would be the obvious remedy, but for reasons I'm still not quite sure of (probably budget), management has decided to stick with this internally created program. To create a better visual, picture the 2001 Pontiac Aztec. Quite possibly the worst car ever built, yet Pontiac loved it, told everybody it was great, and spent millions trying to convince everybody that the Pontiac Aztec was awesome. Unfortunately, facts will always remain as such, and the Aztec was an embarrassment. Let's hope OrangeSoda cuts their losses and moves on before they end up like Pontiac.

I hope this is not the sad ending to such a fantastic company. Two or three years ago the environment at OrangeSoda felt like what we see at Google, Adobe, Facebook, Apple, etc. Creativity and collaboration was encouraged. Individuality and bright ideas were fostered. And hope in OrangeSoda wasn't forced or told, it was felt and contributed to. With some leadership (real, positive, effective leadership), I don't doubt that OrangeSoda can again become a place of more than just profits for shareholders of Deluxe.

Perhaps read some books on leadership. Speak to the founders of OrangeSoda and ask them to return to the helm, or at least to boost morale by making cameos every few months. Consider smiling more often. Positive attitudes are contagious; give those a shot. Listen to the employees. After a year or so of morale degradation, there was an employee survey sent out. Although it took about 10 months longer than acceptable to be sent out, it was an encouraging step in the right direction.

Best people, changing industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in American Fork, UT

I have been working at OrangeSoda full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are what make this place great. Everyone is friendly, upbeat, and pretty laid back. People appreciate others' point of views and really try to improve the workplace.

Cons

This industry is constantly changing. It seems like the company is slow to react/change and then it ends up hurting our clients.

Change is annoying and hard to deal with, but it's something that we have to deal with constantly in the SEO space. What processes can we put into place so change is easier for us and our clients?

Definitely headed in the right direction. Still a lot of work to do, but heading in the right direction.

Current Employee - Products in American Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Products in American Fork, UT

I have been working at OrangeSoda full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company has a new vision of how to help companies market on the Internet. New focus on products, new excitement on direction. The GM (Todd Leeloy) has a compelling vision of what we can achieve, and he's leading the company in that direction.

Cons

The past and the perception that comes from it. OrangeSoda is a different company now, but it suffers from perceptions of the past.

Focus, focus, focus

It's a Hard Market to Be In

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasant Grove, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasant Grove, UT

I have been working at OrangeSoda full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like working with others at OrangeSoda. Everyone treats each other nicely. There is very little office politics. My managers are awesome, they listen when you have concerns about the direction of the company.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be much an individual can do here. OrangeSoda tries to help small businesses compete with online marketing. Unfortunately it seems there is a zero-sum game afoot (after all, Google can only have one winner per region). Unfortunately, people try to ignore this. The business also moves too slowly. We're still stuck competing with services when that will always be a low-margin business plan.

Don't ignore the market and the realities of our biggest competitor (Google). Work on creating software to sell rather than the low margin service-oriented plan we do now. Don't pretend you have a plan when you're making it up as you go. It's okay to only know a few steps ahead, but if you think we believe that you know what'll happen six months or a year from now you think we're much dumber than you should.
    Also, it's okay to have fun! Just because you enjoy the challenge of finding ways to become profitable (which seem to be slow in coming) doesn't mean that you shouldn't have fun day-to-day.

OrangeSoda Photos