OrangeSoda Reviews

Updated September 21, 2014
Updated September 21, 2014
2.7

Todd Leeloy

Formerly an awesome company now going through growing pains.

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  American Fork, UT
    Former Employee - Account Manager in American Fork, UT

I worked at OrangeSoda full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Tuition reimbursement, great health benefits, 10 "holidays", fair time-off policies. There are some great corporate benefits at OrangeSoda. The people, particularly those from the early OrangeSoda days, are awesome to work with. The dress code is very casual, and overall a laid back office. Upper management seems very competent and have great vision.

Cons

The SEO products are not working as well as they hoped it would. When the product doesn't work as great, conversations with the customer become very uncomfortable and awkward. Where management excels in competency, they lack in execution making work for those who have to deal directly with the customer very stressful.

Continue working to find a way to make the product work and scalable, find a way to show employees more appreciation with fun (affordable/free) activities. The corporate world of Deluxe does not sit well with the young, bright, and extremely talented people in Utah County. Find a way to make the office fun again, even something as simple as bringing back the ping pong table.

Good While It Lasted

Former Employee - Content Editor  in  American Fork, UT
    Former Employee - Content Editor in American Fork, UT

I worked at OrangeSoda full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, fun Company culture (for awhile), good Company values.

Cons

Lots of culture/atmosphere changes came with new GM. Salary and benefits were not great. No real chance to advance in career path.

Better than a Coal Mine

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  American Fork, UT
    Former Employee - Account Manager in American Fork, UT

I worked at OrangeSoda full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent employees on the ground level. You're sure to meet new folks you'll stay in touch with for the rest of your life. Lower level management is also incredible. Computers are assigned to all employees, and in most cases will come with two monitors. The facility is well lit, there are ample bathrooms, there is a break room, and the water and air are clean. Perhaps the greatest "Pro" of this company is that it's located in the United States of America -so all laws, privileges, and infrastructure therein create a dignified yet reasonably casual working environment.

Cons

My opinion is that most employees at OrangeSoda were hired into a fun loving, seemingly successful company that managed with the needs of the employee in mind. With the advent of Deluxe and its management, the culture and management techniques became cold (albeit hardly calculated). Most employees saw a warm future with OrangeSoda, when it became clear that was unobtainable, people left. Not just a few either. In the last 14 months I would guess that at least 60-70% of client facing, and executive level, employees have left the company. This is in part as a result of a challenge from the new General Manager of the company who boldly (and colorfully) told employees that if they didn't like they way things are going, they can leave. This, in my peon opinion, was a serious falter from the new king. Past leadership would have taken negative employee feedback as an opportunity to connect with the proletariat, worked to improve the attitude and morale of the company, and take steps to make personal improvements. Instead we were told not to let the door hit us on the way out. So that's exactly what we did, and many of us packed up our boxes and set sail.

The internal software used for basically every task is slow, inconsistent, faulty, inefficient, and always less than promised. Outsourcing to a professional company would be the obvious remedy, but for reasons I'm still not quite sure of (probably budget), management has decided to stick with this internally created program. To create a better visual, picture the 2001 Pontiac Aztec. Quite possibly the worst car ever built, yet Pontiac loved it, told everybody it was great, and spent millions trying to convince everybody that the Pontiac Aztec was awesome. Unfortunately, facts will always remain as such, and the Aztec was an embarrassment. Let's hope OrangeSoda cuts their losses and moves on before they end up like Pontiac.

I hope this is not the sad ending to such a fantastic company. Two or three years ago the environment at OrangeSoda felt like what we see at Google, Adobe, Facebook, Apple, etc. Creativity and collaboration was encouraged. Individuality and bright ideas were fostered. And hope in OrangeSoda wasn't forced or told, it was felt and contributed to. With some leadership (real, positive, effective leadership), I don't doubt that OrangeSoda can again become a place of more than just profits for shareholders of Deluxe.

Perhaps read some books on leadership. Speak to the founders of OrangeSoda and ask them to return to the helm, or at least to boost morale by making cameos every few months. Consider smiling more often. Positive attitudes are contagious; give those a shot. Listen to the employees. After a year or so of morale degradation, there was an employee survey sent out. Although it took about 10 months longer than acceptable to be sent out, it was an encouraging step in the right direction.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best people, changing industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  American Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in American Fork, UT

I have been working at OrangeSoda full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are what make this place great. Everyone is friendly, upbeat, and pretty laid back. People appreciate others' point of views and really try to improve the workplace.

Cons

This industry is constantly changing. It seems like the company is slow to react/change and then it ends up hurting our clients.

Change is annoying and hard to deal with, but it's something that we have to deal with constantly in the SEO space. What processes can we put into place so change is easier for us and our clients?

Definitely headed in the right direction. Still a lot of work to do, but heading in the right direction.

Current Employee - Products  in  American Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Products in American Fork, UT

I have been working at OrangeSoda full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company has a new vision of how to help companies market on the Internet. New focus on products, new excitement on direction. The GM (Todd Leeloy) has a compelling vision of what we can achieve, and he's leading the company in that direction.

Cons

The past and the perception that comes from it. OrangeSoda is a different company now, but it suffers from perceptions of the past.

Focus, focus, focus

It's a Hard Market to Be In

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pleasant Grove, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasant Grove, UT

I have been working at OrangeSoda full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I like working with others at OrangeSoda. Everyone treats each other nicely. There is very little office politics. My managers are awesome, they listen when you have concerns about the direction of the company.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be much an individual can do here. OrangeSoda tries to help small businesses compete with online marketing. Unfortunately it seems there is a zero-sum game afoot (after all, Google can only have one winner per region). Unfortunately, people try to ignore this. The business also moves too slowly. We're still stuck competing with services when that will always be a low-margin business plan.

Don't ignore the market and the realities of our biggest competitor (Google). Work on creating software to sell rather than the low margin service-oriented plan we do now. Don't pretend you have a plan when you're making it up as you go. It's okay to only know a few steps ahead, but if you think we believe that you know what'll happen six months or a year from now you think we're much dumber than you should.
    Also, it's okay to have fun! Just because you enjoy the challenge of finding ways to become profitable (which seem to be slow in coming) doesn't mean that you shouldn't have fun day-to-day.

Great potential squandered

Current Employee - Copywriter  in  American Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Copywriter in American Fork, UT

I have been working at OrangeSoda full-time for more than a year

Pros

Worked with a great team. Executives we reported to were passionate about the brand and willing to take chances with it.

Cons

But some of the executives we *didn't* report to were dishonest and unethical. There was no unifying direction for the company--some days it was online marketing only, other days we only targeted medium-sized brick-and-mortar businesses, and yet other days we were focusing on white label clients--and minimal transparency, making it difficult to actually follow through on any particular goal.

Recuse yourself and hire someone whose goal is company growth, not just attracting a corporate buyout (which, to be fair, you accomplished right before I left).

Great Place To Work.

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager  in  American Fork, UT
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in American Fork, UT

I have been working at OrangeSoda full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people with great work ethic. I have have had great opportunity to grow here, and have a voice for change. Great health benefits and time off. You are rewarded for hard work.

Cons

Honestly I don't feel there is anything worth mentioning. If you have a good attitude about working, and you take pride in your work you will be fine here.

A Company on the Rise

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at OrangeSoda full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked at OrangeSoda for over two years now and can tell you it's all about the people! I really enjoy working for a company who really invests in there employees to help them grow. OrangeSoda has really stepped up this past year and I am so excited for where we are headed. The majority of the senior leadership team is on point and are doing all the right things to grow the business and engage with employees.

Cons

I would say with all the transition that has taken place this last year, OrangeSoda has done an amazing job adapting, growing, and innovating to make things better. The one area that is still a concern is with one of the key leaders. No matter how many employees and managers bring up concerns or leave do issues with this individual, they seem to be untouchable. It has affected employee moral and has put a damper on the creative and cohesive environment there used to be. That being said every company has areas where they can improve and I am hopeful that we will things change.

Besides what I mentioned above, keep doing what your doing. We are on the right track and I know the future looks really bright!

I learned a lot about SEO and PPC and worked with a lot of great people.

I have been working at OrangeSoda full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people and culture and satisfaction when recognized for a job well done.

Cons

It was hard to keep up with the latest Algorithms. Hard to keep up with what Google trends were.

A company is only as good as it's people.

OrangeSoda Photos

LazyMan IronMan Finishers
Company Photo
Employee Appreciation Breakfast

+ Add Photo

Worked for OrangeSoda? Contribute to the Community!