OrangeSoda

OrangeSoda Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Todd Leeloy

Winners Needed

Account Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at OrangeSoda full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOrangeSoda knows what it needs to do and is doing it. OS culture has to change in my opinion. Has to grow up. I know some have been offended by this and I get it because change is hard and messy but we need a winning culture, not a chill culture. I know many more people here who appreciate the changes because we just want to win and we want our co-workers to want the same thing. The fact is our industry is ever changing and requires a positive attitude.

Also, things like compensation, PTO, tuition reimbursement, health benefits, stocks purchase have improved greatly!

ConsProduct is evolving as we speak. Processes are improving. Recent org realignment has been helpful (but was messier than it needed to be). Effective communication needs improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake to heart all feedback, good and bad because there are nuggets of good advice but hold firm on being fair and lead by example. Hold leaders and employees accountable. Never forget that leadership should serve the rank and file, then you will win the hearts of the employees which will produce the best results.

Learn enough here to get a job elsewhere

SEO Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at OrangeSoda full-time for more than a year

ProsThey've started paying people better and they have reasonably good benefits

ConsThey have slaughtered the culture

Advice to Senior ManagementTake on fewer, higher paying customers and then hire people to do real work instead of churn out spam

What Once Was

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at OrangeSoda full-time for more than a year

Pros• Prior to major changes, it was the greatest job I'd ever had.
• Being that Deluxe is as big as it is, the Benefits were good

Cons• Management is full of empty promises
• No Actual SEO knowledge
• Development team isn't needed
• Dishonest sales tactics
• Blame is placed on fulfillment when the issues clearly lie with a lack of product development
• Pay is laughable compared to competition
• We were specifcally told from the leadership that work shouldn't be looked as a place that's "enjoyable" and that's exactly what they've accomplished with the new leadership
• Leadership is fickle and unethical

Advice to Senior ManagementThough your "tears" that you seem to let flow every time you speak with us were believable and cute in the beginning, they are now simply laughable.

The purchasing/investing of and in companies that some of leadership has personally invested their own money in, even though they aren't the best option for Orangesoda, is unethical and immensely damaging to the company.

Get some real leadership in there or give everyone their severance and close up shop.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Really that's how you treat us?

N/A (Former Employee)

I worked at OrangeSoda full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFun place to work, good people for the most part.

ConsPay, lay off ate a drop of the hat,

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutives and directors need to watch what managers do cause the manager can let someone go and not even talk to execs/directors. very sad.

Winners Be Warned

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at OrangeSoda full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Great people on the ground level
- AdWords expertise
- Benefits
- Great opportunity to get into the field

ConsOnce the purchase from the Deluxe took place, the culture that was once so great, slowly started to take a turn for the worse. Where cross-training used to be part of the norm, people were now pigeonholed into specific roles with no real opportunity to advance.

Orangesoda lacks any real product offering in regards to SEO. Despite having been penalized by Google for their tactics, they never were able to adapt and learn from their mistakes. Instead, they continue down the same path time and time again.

There are typically 5 tell-tale signs of bad SEO. Orangesoda is currently guilty of all five.They are as follows:

1. The company doing your SEO is unwilling to show you the "actual" work they are completing for you.
2. They don't include Social Media as SEO.
3. Your content is being created for Search Engines and not people.
4. They don't work with/on your current blog.
5. There is no discussion on what content is actually being created for you.

There is a clear disconnect between management and those who are client-facing. Much of the blame for the company's failures fall on those that are client-facing; when the issue clearly lies with the lack of a real product. It's difficult to ask someone to do their job when they are worried that implementing what is required of them will cause damage to their client's website. Company morale is at an all time low.

It often seemed as though people were given/placed-in positions that they weren't deserving of. Politics rule the office.

Layoffs. After the first set of layoffs, we were told by our managers that we wouldn't be seeing any more. That's not true. They keep happening.

Salesmen are often directed to begin selling a product despite having actually ever fleshed it out. In turn, the client becomes a test dummy or battering ram of sorts and inevitably cancels. This is a dishonest and dirty tactic that has not only attributed to the loss of numerous clients, but also the loss of good, honest employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're looking for ways to save money, ditch the bid management software. You're paying a FORTUNE for it and the extra "perks" it offers are NOT worth the tremendous cost.

The Development Team is full of great people. However, as a company, are they a wise use of time and money? They are spread too thin and constantly have a log jam in their work flow. My belief is that it is unnecessary to employ an entire development team when you are using a software that can be purchased/managed by an agency for a much more affordable price.
Get back to the roots of Orangesoda. Obviously this new path you're headed in is a step in the wrong direction. Take a look at what made you profitable and get back to it.

Instead of stifling innovation, encourage it.

Develop an actual SEO product that your fulfillment team can rally around and quit blaming the people who have little-to-no say about the performance of your product.

Lastly, take to heart all feedback, good and bad because there are gold mines of good advice. You have very smart individuals who want to help the company, but are being shut down by management.

My experience with OrangeSoda has been positive largely because those I work with/for are accommodating and friendly.

Contract Writer (Current Employee)
American Fork, UT

I have been working at OrangeSoda as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIt's nice to be able to telecommute a contract job; the company does well at organization.

ConsThe pay could definitely be higher, and I wish that the management would tell their contractors more about what happens to the work they provide.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be worthwhile if the management could teach more SEO principles to their contract writers.

All good things come to an end.

SEO Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at OrangeSoda full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOrangesoda used to be great place to work. There was a fun culture, they gave you the tool and training you needed to be successful. If you where having trouble with something they would work with you and try to resolve the issue. This is no longer true.

ConsIt has become a corporate sink hole. They culture is dead and they keep scaring off or firing their hard working and talented employees. They used to have what was know as the six pack of values which they used to live by. They abandoned these ideas as well the idea of a good product to their clients, for the idea of squeezing as much work as they could out of an employee and trying to cut corners on their products.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrangesoda was a great place to work. They used to value employees and clients, now neither is true. I think that the downfall of Orangesoda was caused by a couple things. First off, they began to compromise on the quality of their products and began to practice bad SEO techniques. Second, a number of bad managers made their way up the lander and bad employees found a way in. Deluxe, the company that bought Orangesoda, just reacted to this situation, and began to take more control over an asset that had started to struggle. What Orangesoda needs to do is hit the reset button. They need to scrap their current products and reinvent the way they do SEO. They also need to preform a clean up, get rid of the all the bad employees and managers, and start looking for talented people once again.

Loved this company but its since failed its employees and customers

Account Management (Current Employee)
American Fork, UT

I have been working at OrangeSoda full-time for less than a year

ProsOnce had a great culture, including activities, competitions, PING PONG, parties, etc. After they were acquired by Deluxe their culture was stripped and their products stopped progressing. Everyone who made the company what it was has since left. There are a few remnants of the old OrangeSoda but they've since conformed or no longer care. Deluxe took everything that was good about this company and threw it away. The company is no longer profitable and is barely treading water, surviving off the money Deluxe gives them. The more money Deluxe gives them the more Deluxe feels that it needs to go in and change everything to "fix" the company, and everything they do only makes it worse. A year and a half ago I would have recommended this company to anyone, today, no one.

ConsLay offs, constant re-structuring, weak products, low appreciation for employees, constantly change and lowering pay due to lack of funds.

Advice to Senior Management......Give everyone a severance and dump the business, Its dead, everyone is leaving, no one is happy.

Great working environment, and a place to improve and grow your professional skills

Premium Account Manager (Current Employee)
American Fork, UT

I have been working at OrangeSoda full-time for more than a year

Prostraining, progress, and an environment to learn about the industry. A truck load of awesome people to work with. your voice is heard by management and can affect change. Monthly team activities if monthly team goals are met. If you like working on teams and challenged you will like working here.

ConsBack in the day there wasn't much training. That has since been fixed, they aid you in all ways possible to succeed at your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to your employees it makes all the difference. Also keeping the work hard play hard play hard mentality will also make all of the difference.

Good place, needs some changes

Account Management (Former Employee)
American Fork, UT

I worked at OrangeSoda full-time for less than a year

ProsGood environment, great people, low stress job.

Consweak products, no company vision, high churn rate (both customers and employees), low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare company vision with employees.

Worked for OrangeSoda? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OrangeSoda reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for OrangeSoda CEO Todd Leeloy. All 29 reviews posted anonymously by OrangeSoda employees.