Orbit Irrigation Products

KC Ericksen

1. A+ Company Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Tough competitive industry, solid intuition from company ownership to produce industry leading designs within trending product categories. Privately held business with entrepreneurial roots.

Cons

Seasonal industry, consumer products, growth targets can be made or not made due to weather, tight make or break production schedules.

2. Worst job ever!

Former Employee - Production Worker in North Salt Lake, UT
    Former Employee - Production Worker in North Salt Lake, UT

I worked at Orbit Irrigation Products (Less than a year)

Pros

Only good thing is that this job is a Monday through Friday. Holidays off.

Cons

Production workers are underpaid, that's what makes your business. When I was there I was making $7.25 an hour. I was one of the very few that spoke english. They told us In a meeting that they will continue to use China for their products because cost of labor was cheaper! Are you kidding me!? I'm surprised that all these reviews are good, must be people in the office or upper management. Like I said not alot of English speakers working in the production area. If they knew about this "Glass Door" I'm sure Orbit would have a 1 star review. I moved out of UT in 2013 but I heard Orbit was raided later that year due to hiring illegal immigrants.

Advice to Management

Pay your production employees better! Without them you won't have product. Show them appreciation!

3. Marketing Department

I have been working at Orbit Irrigation Products full-time

Pros

Great if you have a family or enjoy a flexible schedule. They are a family owned business that has a moderate level of advancement opportunities.

Cons

The compensation is a little lower when compared to other places that I've researched. Leadership also has a tendancy to get trapped in a cycle of endless ideas and sometimes they have trouble pulling the trigger on things.

Positively focused people working to make the best products for customers.

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in North Salt Lake, UT

Pros

The company definately has an employee-oriented focus. Leadership is very much by example and management is fully engaged in growing the business.

Cons

Recent reorganization and a revenue shortfall have had a negative effect on 2014 performance. Employee benefits, while generous, costs continue to increase. Nothing new these days.

Advice to Management

Stay engaged in growing the business.

Good company with excellent people, and strong family atmosphere. Downsides are few and far between, but they're there.

Former Employee - IT PC Tech in North Salt Lake, UT
    Former Employee - IT PC Tech in North Salt Lake, UT

I worked at Orbit Irrigation Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They develop a strong team atmosphere, a genuine interest in the well being of employees, and provide relevant training, with good benefits, with decent amounts of PTO and company activities. Being a family owned company, there is a relaxed atmosphere, and you feel like a major contributor to the operation as opposed to a number in a corporation. They are also determined to deliver a solid product, solid support for the product, good value and a good experience to the customer.

Cons

Depending on your position and experience, they may pay you less than the going rate for that particular field, and their reliance on old, outdated tech can cause headaches if you work in IT. It's also mostly cubicle work, if you're averse to that. Although I enjoyed my time there, there were certain department directors that seemed more interested in their own personal gain than anything else, which causes severe strain on the employees below them who are actively good workers that want to help in making the company better. These same directors also seem to be very disposed to using office politics, backstabbing, and outright lies to look good in front of superiors, while demonizing their employees for their own mistakes or inadequacies, as they are severely unqualified to do the job they have.

Advice to Management

Looking from both a top-down and bottom-up overall assessment: Orbit is still a good company, but they are standing on a precipice of their own making. Too much middle management that is not necessary, some of which is obscenely unqualified, that are eating up too much of the budget (possibly not to higher management's knowledge). They keep going in cycles of downsizing every few years, when they should be either shifting the business to non seasonal product or expanding to those markets. Good times have left them stagnant and reliant on one type of business, but the cuts they make prevent them from breaking out of the rut. Also, office politics are unavoidable, but please keep an eye out for bad seeds in middle management. The more you get rid of, the more money you'll save, and the more employees will be happy.

Graphic Designer

Current Employee - Junior Graphic Designer in North Salt Lake, UT
    Current Employee - Junior Graphic Designer in North Salt Lake, UT

I have been working at Orbit Irrigation Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Orbit is a company that believes in their product. When they think about the future they think about a smarter and eco friendly home. They are always pushing themselves in producing the best irrigation system that is simple to use for their older and younger buyers. Even before their product the always put their workers first, they recently opened a in-house clinic that will provide service to their workers and depends. This is sure a great company to work for.

Cons

Beside the intersection right off the high-way. I can't really find anything that is wrong with Orbit. Orbit always put their workers first if they need a time off from work there really isn't any problems. They are more then happy to work with their employees.

Advice to Management

Since I've been at Orbit, I've seen 3 people movie up. My senior designer is now a Creative Director, I know 2 product Marketers movie up to product managers. People here are always happy to try working in new departments.

Great Company and Owners that are dedicated to employees

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in North Salt Lake, UT

I worked at Orbit Irrigation Products full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

First of all this is a family owned business in which the family is extremely generous to all their employees. They share in the profits through year end bonuses and matching 401Ks. They also have absorbed cost increases (not passing them on to the employees) that have come from insurance rates. They also take a personal interest in the welfare of their employees. The owners are one of the most honest people that I've worked for.

Cons

Some infighting among departments from conflicting departmental goals.

Advice to Management

Thanks you for the opportunity I had to work for you all.

RSS Feed </> Embed