Orbital Sciences

Orbital Sciences Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Orbital Sciences Chairman and CEO David W. Thompson

David W. Thompson

Pros
  • Interesting Work, High Tech Environment(in 9 reviews)

• I've worked on multiple programs within Orbital, and worked with some great people(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It can sometimes be hard to maintain healthy work/life balance, it just depends on the number of active contracts (feast or famine)(in 9 reviews)

• Demanding company, long hours with no recognition(in 7 reviews)

Being involved in spacecraft manufacturing.

Configuration Management Data Analyst (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsIt was a great experience to work with a company that manufacture rockets, satellites and being involved in the sucseful

ConsCross training was not available.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more training for the employees

I enjoyed my 15 years employment At Orbital

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsChallenging and interesting work in a high tech environment

ConsDoes not promote its functional departments as centers of excellence

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen to you engineering staff

Rollercoaster Ride

ProsTalent is well appreciated. Many opportunities to advance. Professional atmosphere, driven individuals. Great deal of emphasis on doing things right. Flexible work hours and good benefits.

ConsObsession with processes without regard of their effectiveness. Management making decisions in tool selections without regard and understanding of their usefulness. This has cost the company a great deal of lost money and created a lot of resentment. Belief that managing can work without talking to your employees by using software to do that. Unfocused R&D projects started and stopped multiple times then upper management not understanding why these projects cost so much. Upper management completely out of touch with reality (only in the last 4 years) and scrambling to find market traction due to missed internal product development opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the entire Tech Ops top management. What you have done in the last 4 years proved to be disastrous to GEO business competitiveness. Also you have managed to alienate most of your engineers who really feel that they are just commodities. Understand that WALT will not generate the metrics you are looking for and adds extra overhead burden to operations. Empower your engineers when selecting new tools, do not leave that to your lower level managers. Most of them have no idea how much lost money that will cost the company. Admit if you made mistakes openly and do not be afraid of reversing bad decisions. Also understand that most project developments cost more than what you are willing to admit. Pressuring your employees to sign up to schedules that cannot be met further alienates you from them and you will not get an honest feedback.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointed

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Gilbert, AZ

ProsVery knowledgeable first-line employees and interesting, challenging work. Very bright engineers in several select groups.

ConsSince the division in Gilbert, AZ was purchased by Orbital, employee morale has steadily declined. This division is no longer the energetic, fast paced and cohesive team it used to be due to the extremely toxic culture forced upon it by remote upper management in Dulles.

Pay raises are poor and embarrassing, even for superior performers. NO technical training. Very tight overhead budgets make process improvement difficult. Even simple process improvement initiatives need to be authorized at extraordinarily high levels of management.

No sense of team or common goals between employees and upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management is unprofessional, not conducive to team building and focuses on negatives instead of accomplishments. There needs to be a significant cultural change for this company to attract and retain the best and brightest.

Best job of my life.

Master Engineer (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsGlobal Engineering leaders, high quality work.

ConsDemanding, heavy workload; pay for your own travel and reimbursed later.

Advice to Senior ManagementFewer top management, more worker bees.

The best experience

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Chandler, AZ

ProsFlexible time and great opportunitues

ConsLimited opportunities of growth for the employee

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide opportunities of growth to the productive employees

Unnerving

SPSE (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsLots of really neat projects that people are impressed by.

ConsFelt on pins and needles once management (APG in particular) eased up on Proposals and Business development.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways be closing.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

very happy

ProsGreat people and good work balance

ConsNot much room for growth

Advice to Senior Managementprovide better training or training options

EE

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsNone, very bad place to work

ConsLots, nothing good about the place

Advice to Senior Managementvery bad management

Bait and Switch

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsAbility to direct your own work

ConsLack of basic resources, lack of training, cannot tell the customer "no". The promises of training and mentorship that were made to me when I hired on were simply not true.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive engineers actual training and professional development opportunities!

Worked for Orbital Sciences? Contribute to the Community!