Orbital Sciences

Orbital Sciences Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Orbital Sciences Chairman and CEO David W. Thompson

David W. Thompson

Pros
  • Interesting Work, High Tech Environment(in 9 reviews)

• I've worked on multiple programs within Orbital, and worked with some great people(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It can sometimes be hard to maintain healthy work/life balance, it just depends on the number of active contracts (feast or famine)(in 9 reviews)

• Demanding company, long hours with no recognition(in 7 reviews)

Great Experience

ProsThe atmosphere is great, most of the people I worked with were very young and easy to get along with. The hours are flexible which is a nice bonus. The work I did was actually important and helpful to the company.

ConsThere's not a whole lot of "Engineering" work that I was able to work on. It was mostly 3D modeling, but there was a little design/analysis. Have to ask for things to work on most of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Too much internal bureaucracy

Supervisor, Supplier Quality (Former Employee) Chandler, AZ

ProsChallenging work and very exciting industry.

ConsTough to make process improvements. Functional silos and difficult to work cross-functionally.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the people you hire. Communicate the challenges and let them figure out how to solve it.

interesting and challenging works

Scientist (Current Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsYou can learn a lot from working with talented peoples around you. Flexible work environment.

ConsLimited career growth opportunity. You can get a good review every year, but salary increase may be independent of that.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

By most measures, the worst job I have ever held

Senior Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsThere is much to make the environment pleasant: cafeteria, work out room, beautiful landscaping, attractive offices, many windows. Pay is above average.

ConsPoor levels of cooperation, lack of teamwork, no thank you's, no appreciation. Employees are rewarded and promoted for getting the job done strictly. If one abuses others, does not help others, well that's of no concern - did you get the job done as fast as possible? In fact, it's a decision structure that is set up to operate based on conflict. So, in a sense, being pushy, overbearing, even antisocial, gets rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's been a lot of RIF's this year. Apply the RIF's to management.

Seek opportunities elsewhere or limit exposure period

Senior Principal Engineer (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsGood people at the working level. Excellent benefits for younger employees. Suggest gaining a few years of corporate experience while taking advantage of the tuition reimbursement program. Move on to bigger and better things afterward.

ConsLong hours. Little to no recognition for achievements. Limited opportunities for advancement. Company always trails its competition with technology advancements. Management (Director level and above) is too concerned about their share of the bonus pool, which results in political backstabbing, dishonesty, and poor corporate morale for the working level people.

Advice to Senior ManagementRather than RIF workers you should look at the management structure for efficiencies and cost savings. Suggest looking beyond Orbital and the failed companies Orbital has acquired for new management blood.

Working at Orbital Sciences was the best job I ever had.

Scientist (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsExciting, fast paced high level team.

ConsRocket science is demanding work!

Advice to Senior ManagementFewer metrics.

Good

Director (Current Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsGood opportunity.in this company Orbital.

ConsNone at this time for Orbital located in Dulles, VA.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time.

Small company with great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work, unfortunately I had to move for growth opportunities, a little top heavy, not much room for growth. I've worked on multiple programs within Orbital, and worked with some great people.

ConsNot much room for growth, too little opportunities for advancement.

I left for less money

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsSome great people put into difficult situations by management who only seem to care about bonuses and short term profits.

ConsThere is definatley a good old boy network of nepotism runing the company. You even get snubbed for what college you didn't go to. If you don't have a degree forget going there.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the Peter Principle

Good to Employees, Tight on Overhead

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsGood employee benefits, 401K investment matching, stock benefits, & insurance coverage. Good opportunities for growth.

ConsUpper level management is tight on budgets, never want to invest in tools or resources to make engineering jobs more efficient.

Worked for Orbital Sciences? Contribute to the Community!