Orbital Sciences

www.orbital.com
Employer Engaged

62 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Not the best experience you'll ever have, but ok.

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at Orbital Sciences full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I was a Principal Electrical Engineer in SSG for many years until recent layoffs (2013-14). As far as I can tell over 200 employees were RIFed company-wide.

Interesting work. A great experience to work with a company that manufactures communications satellites.

Most MEs at my level had more fun in the highbay and get to work with cool CAD tools. Most EEs have a more boring secondary function of managing subcontracts.

Flexible work hours and good benefits. Salary with overtime pay during some crunch periods.

It’s a pleasant environment with nice landscaping, cafeteria, workout room, attractive offices/cubes with windows.

Travel can be enjoyable to sites all over the world.

Cons

We were required to take lots self-training courses repeated over and over every year, some of which did not apply directly to what we were doing.

It can sometimes be hard to maintain healthy work/life balance, it just depends on the number of active contracts (feast or famine).

At times, middle management could be downright hostile to employees. I noticed this rubbing off between employees. At times there was some task offloading forced on one group, for example, the Mechanical group to the RF group in crunch periods.

Orbital can be a stressful and sometimes toxic work environment. Hour by hour work task prediction and task progress with efficiency scoring is required by all employees using a daily tracking program (WALT). If you’re not so good at predicting your own work load, which can include a lot of unpredictable tasks due to the nature of the work, and your honest about your hours on each task, you could be putting yourself in jeopardy of being axed from your job. I observed employees fudging the numbers in protest.

Don’t plan on doing much, if any, hands on work if you’re in the RF components group. There’s just no need for it. All build and test is done by the component subcontractors prior to shipment. Testing at spacecraft level is intentionally handled by others.

Most recognition/awards seem to be limited to upper management.

Contract wins are not guaranteed, lay-offs can happen. Orbital is now in the process of merging with ATK.

Engineers need actual training and professional development opportunities to maintain interest.

Slow salary growth and little potential for career development.

Invest in the latest software technologies, training employees, and continue process improvement. Stay ahead of and contribute to the latest advances in payload flexibility as if your success depended on it. I think you know this already.

Great place to work if that's all you want to do

Current Employee - Senior Technician in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Technician in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Orbital Sciences full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is pretty good. I think the management is fairly honest with their employees.

Cons

I can sum this up in one phrase. Work-life balance. Essentially, there is none. You work rotating shifts, weekends, holidays. Now I'm sure that there are jobs in this company where you get to go home on weekends, and holidays, and you don't bounce back and forth from days to nights and back to days like a ping-pong ball. But if you work in Building 5 at Dulles, there's a good chance you don't have one of those jobs. I have no sleep cycle anymore. I take pills to sleep and pills to wake up. My doctor has advised quitting for my health.

Work-life balance needs to be more than a buzz-word.

Interesting Work

I worked at Orbital Sciences full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Clean and very pleasant campus.

Cons

Like everything in life they are not perfect.

Fantastic Internship Experience

Current Intern - Intern in Dulles, VA
    Current Intern - Intern in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Orbital Sciences as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Got my own office (not cubicle) and did real engineering work. I expected to be doing boring, worthless tasks that are normally associated with internships but instead found myself actually contributing to the project.

Normally your boss can be flexible with your hours if you need to come in late one day or want to take some time off (after all you are hourly so they only have to pay you when you work).

Cons

As an intern I noticed many communication problems between employees and the management and while I did not have to deal with these issues directly they caused people to be frustrated, on edge and somewhat difficult to work with.

Also on your first day the new hire process is not intern specific, so you end up sitting through some boring presentations that tend to not apply, or only partially apply to you.

This would be a good place for new engineers to become exposed to their career functions.

Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at Orbital Sciences full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mid level supervisors and employees pull together well to resolve critical issues. The personnel are friendly.

Cons

Often fail to think and respond to issues strategically. Should truly embrace constructive criticism. Often issues are responded to tactically rather resolve strategically.

Embrace personnel who are concerned about continuous improvements.

Great Place, Awesome Stuff

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Orbital Sciences full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work on some pretty neat things with a team that's usually full of very smart people.

Cons

Contract wins are not constant, so lay-offs do happen.

Win, Win, Win. Contracts that is.

SMF Middle Management

Former Employee - Principal Manufacturing Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Manufacturing Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at Orbital Sciences full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits and most of my co-workers. Not all of them.

Cons

Things change on an hourly basis. Middle management is terrible and I am being kind.

The SMF middle management needs to grow some balls and let the employees know who is in charge.The convicts are running the prison. The place is like club med. Everyone just coming and going as they d%*n well please. On their cell phones at their work locations. Too many breaks, long lunches, smoke breaks, etc. No set start and finish times. No set standard for an operation or anything. Whenever you get it done is fine. That is crap. No discipline or accountability. If you make a mistake several times that's okay. More crap. These people would never make it in the real world.

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I worked at Orbital Sciences full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Orbital does awesome work in the space industry. I worked on their Geostationary Satellites for 10yrs. They have a niche is about every area of the space industry and lots of opportunities for growth.

Cons

Satellite industry goes in cycles. The ups are up and the downs are down.

Keep up the good work and more business will come your way!

Being involved in spacecraft manufacturing.

Former Employee - Configuration Management Data Analyst in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Configuration Management Data Analyst in Dulles, VA

I worked at Orbital Sciences full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was a great experience to work with a company that manufacture rockets, satellites and being involved in the sucseful

Cons

Cross training was not available.

Need more training for the employees

Best job of my life.

Former Employee - Master Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Master Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at Orbital Sciences full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Global Engineering leaders, high quality work.

Cons

Demanding, heavy workload; pay for your own travel and reimbursed later.

Fewer top management, more worker bees.