Orbital Sciences Reviews

Reset

Good place for a career

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Engineering in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Engineering in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Orbital Sciences full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I feel valued here, am given a great deal of latitude and trust, the company has a pretty strong benefits package, but perhaps most importantly the work is almost always challenging and cutting edge. I'm amazed at the projects I've been able to be involved in over my 10+ years here, and I expect more after the upcoming merger.

Cons

In many areas Orbital is still trying to find a balance between being a small company and competing with the big boys, while at the same time trying to adjust to new competition and cost challenges. This occasionally leads to unclear or conflicting direction from upper management.

2. Overall a great company to work for in the Space Industry.

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Orbital Sciences full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and vacation package. Able to work into new and upper positions. Get to work on the entire system and not just one aspect of the design.

Cons

Program management varies from Program to Program and can change the entire nature of the Project. No sick days, need to use your vacation days.

3. A midsized aerospace company

I worked at Orbital Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Orbital has traditionally compensated it's employees well. Technology is pretty good and campus life seems active.

Cons

Management structure too heavy for this size company limiting its ability to maneuver. Moves too slow to be effective in the market space.

Advice to Management

Ask, what is the value add to all the management layers?

5. Great company, interesting work

Former Employee - Scientist in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Scientist in Dulles, VA

I worked at Orbital Sciences full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Location, salary, benefits, interesting work.

Cons

Culture is tough, engineers tend to be narrow minded people, they need to think outside the box sometimes.

6. Good

Current Employee - Associate Financial Analyst in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Financial Analyst in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Orbital Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly relaxed atmosphere Good benefits Exciting work Mostly routine working hours (depending on the time of the year and your program) Good employees

Cons

Lots of middle management Could be leaner Can feel stuffy Engineer-oriented Little to none business training available

7. Nice experience

Current Employee - Anonymous in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Orbital Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of your peers are talented, challenging work, good food in the Orbiteria and great medical/dental benefits.

Cons

Overkill on some processes which are redundant, time consuming, waste of resources and repetitive.

Advice to Management

Streamline your processes to avoid overlaps.

Not the best experience you'll ever have, but ok.

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at Orbital Sciences full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was a Principal Electrical Engineer in SSG for many years until recent layoffs (2013-14). As far as I can tell over 200 employees were RIFed company-wide. Interesting work. A great experience to work with a company that manufactures communications satellites. Most MEs at my level had more fun in the highbay and get to work with cool CAD tools. Most EEs have a more boring secondary function of managing subcontracts. Flexible work hours and good benefits. Salary with overtime pay during some crunch periods. It’s a pleasant environment with nice landscaping, cafeteria, workout room, attractive offices/cubes with windows. Travel can be enjoyable to sites all over the world.

Cons

We were required to take lots self-training courses repeated over and over every year, some of which did not apply directly to what we were doing. It can sometimes be hard to maintain healthy work/life balance, it just depends on the number of active contracts (feast or famine). At times, middle management could be downright hostile to employees. I noticed this rubbing off between employees. At times there was some task offloading forced on one group, for example, the Mechanical group to the RF group in crunch periods. Orbital can be a stressful and sometimes toxic work environment. Hour by hour work task prediction and task progress with efficiency scoring is required by all employees using a daily tracking program (WALT). If you’re not so good at predicting your own work load, which can include a lot of unpredictable tasks due to the nature of the work, and your honest about your hours on each task, you could be putting yourself in jeopardy of being axed from your job. I observed employees fudging the numbers in protest. Don’t plan on doing much, if any, hands on work if you’re in the RF components group. There’s just no need for it. All build and test is done by the component subcontractors prior to shipment. Testing at spacecraft level is intentionally handled by others. Most recognition/awards seem to be limited to upper management. Contract wins are not guaranteed, lay-offs can happen. Orbital is now in the process of merging with ATK. Engineers need actual training and professional development opportunities to maintain interest. Slow salary growth and little potential for career development.

Advice to Management

Invest in the latest software technologies, training employees, and continue process improvement. Stay ahead of and contribute to the latest advances in payload flexibility as if your success depended on it. I think you know this already.

9. Interesting Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I worked at Orbital Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Clean and very pleasant campus.

Cons

Like everything in life they are not perfect.

10. This would be a good place for new engineers to become exposed to their career functions.

Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at Orbital Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mid level supervisors and employees pull together well to resolve critical issues. The personnel are friendly.

Cons

Often fail to think and respond to issues strategically. Should truly embrace constructive criticism. Often issues are responded to tactically rather resolve strategically.

Advice to Management

Embrace personnel who are concerned about continuous improvements.

Fantastic Internship Experience

Current Intern - Intern in Dulles, VA
    Current Intern - Intern in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Orbital Sciences as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Got my own office (not cubicle) and did real engineering work. I expected to be doing boring, worthless tasks that are normally associated with internships but instead found myself actually contributing to the project. Normally your boss can be flexible with your hours if you need to come in late one day or want to take some time off (after all you are hourly so they only have to pay you when you work).

Cons

As an intern I noticed many communication problems between employees and the management and while I did not have to deal with these issues directly they caused people to be frustrated, on edge and somewhat difficult to work with. Also on your first day the new hire process is not intern specific, so you end up sitting through some boring presentations that tend to not apply, or only partially apply to you.

RSS Feed </> Embed