Orbitz Worldwide

Orbitz Worldwide Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Orbitz Worldwide Chief Executive Officer Barney Harford

Barney Harford

Pros
  • Management emphasizes the work/life balance and encourages you to take vacation(in 58 reviews)

• Flexible work from home policy; good place to grow if you have the right manager(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not valued at Orbitz(in 10 reviews)

• It's very hard to achieve unrealistic goals when Senior Management doesn't value experienced employees(in 15 reviews)

Orbitz is the premier tech company of the Midwest

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou get to work with some of the smartest engineers in the country. I have never met a single person here that i wasn't proud to work alongside, and wouldn't reccommend for another job somewhere else.

ConsSometimes the blob of legacy code can make it hard to add features as fast as we'd like. Its getting better over time as we retire old systems though.

Great work environment and surrounded by smart people.

Software Engineer I (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWork/life balance
    true tech company
    smart co-worker
    casual dress code
    free sodas

Conseating too much fast food in citi group building

Great management and fun environment!

Inside Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros-Flat management
    -.com environment
    -opportunity to grow and change roles
    -challenges and additional tasks, so you won’t get bored

Fun Things
    -Free: espresso, pop, milk, oatmeal, fruit
    -Monthly Beer kegs!
    -12 Vacation days plus Holiday break from December 25-1

ConsNone at all! If anything since we are a travel company maybe more vacation time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Product Management (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI get to work on cutting edge initiatives. Teams are very collaborative. We are a global business which allows me to gain an understanding customer behavior from many different regions across the globe. Our office is very close to commuter rail.

ConsWhile we have a very strong work / life balance, we are also a very performance driven culture. Flexibility is required as we operate a business that is open 24/7 and you must have the commitment to jump in if necessary at night or on the weekend.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on our strategy.

Excellent place to work if you are willing to put in the effort.

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- Many opportunities
    - Rich data set and many analytics tools
    - Opportunities to develop and grow if you are self-motivated

Cons- Conflicting corporate strategies
    - Frequent turnover of employees

I absolutely LOVE working here. I never want to leave.. haha. Great people, open communication, plenty of opportunities!

Team Lead (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- Awesome people
    - Open sharing of ideas
    - Work life balance
    - Great pay
    - Perfect location
    - Thirsty Thursday
    - Casual dress code
    - Need I say more?

Cons- Free pop (not good for my diet)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep communicating openly with the company!

Fantastic learning environment with plenty of accountability

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat people and great culture. Everyone is super respectful and has a diverse range of backgrounds and opinions. People care about producing quality work and making our customers happy. It is a great place to work as a developer as there is a very healthy work-life balance as well as exciting problems. It is fun to not be the market leader as we constantly look for opportunities to disrupt and leapfrog the competition.

ConsThere is still a lot of work to do. Compensation isn't the highest, but is very fair considering the locale and work-life balance expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the focused strategy. It has paid off well. Continue focusing on the employees' concerns.

Fun place to work where you stay challenged and engaged

ProsOrbitz is incredibly fast paced where employees are continually challenged in their roles to push the limits and empowered to influence decisions. Opportunities to move around the organization to different areas exist and managers are supportive of helping individuals grow to assist in their career development. When it comes to celebrating and having fun, Orbitz has numerous company activities and events that keep our group refreshed and ready to take on the next new initiative.

ConsNothing really stands out as being a con in working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to empower your teams and continue to focus on the right things that will further improve our customer's shopping experience.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- Flexible times, great atmosphere, lot of freedom (as long as you are responsible).
    - Working in Chicago!
    - You can develop a career here.
    - Travel discount for employees
    - Good recruitment program

ConsI cannot think in downsides, there are like in any other place but just not a lost

A great (and recommended) place to work, but not without it's querks or politics.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere is a good culture running through Orbitz enabled by a diverse, intelligent and friendly workforce. There are plenty of opportunities to learn from those around you and to explore new ground. Benefits are pretty good and time-off is above average. The organization strives to apply Agile development practices, most evidently in its Technology groups so expect a lot of collaboration.

ConsThe layers of technology and attributes of the OTA (online travel agent) industry are complex, so expect a steep learning curve (but also count on support along the way). In some areas of the organization Waterfall style oversight and project management can lead to a control-and-direct mentality that can cause bottlenecks and stifle innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementAgile needs to be understood/embraced at an organizational (cultural) level and care needs to be taken to empower some disciplines below the top management tiers to have more autonomy around decision making and prioritization. To have ownership.

Worked for Orbitz Worldwide? Contribute to the Community!