Orbitz Worldwide Reviews

Reset
4.4
Orbitz Worldwide Chief Executive Officer Barney Harford
Barney Harford

Pros
  • work-life balance is top-knotch (in 75 reviews)

• Ability to work from home (in some departments) (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is good but not great (in 15 reviews)

• It's very hard to achieve unrealistic goals when Senior Management doesn't value experienced employees (in 15 reviews)

Sr Orbitz manager - considerable career advancement opportunities

Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to evolve a career - i have had many unique roles and worked on some very cool projects. Orbitz plays at the intersection of two great areas - travel and Internet. Great, talented colleagues. Great collaborative culture. The culture and work environment may be the most important attribute to me. Best mobile offering in travel.

Cons

Workload can be intense (at times); Operates in a very competitive sector so needs to be scrappy; need to be scrappy to get financial resources.

Advice to Management

Be aggressive and keep innovating. Play for the long ball!

2. Great opportunity to work with smart, motivated people in a very interesting industry.

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time

Pros

1) Great diverse team with good access to leadership 2) Innovative technology with a focus on mobile 3) Opportunity to work on localizing products for customers across the globe

Cons

1) Would benefit from a more focused strategy 2) Complicated technology sometimes slows progress in some areas

Advice to Management

Learn how to pivot a bit faster. When we talk about change, it seems to take too long to put it into action.

3. tech company with strong cultural and marketing focus

Current Employee - Senior Manager of Analytics in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager of Analytics in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well balanced work and life. Strong leadership. Lots of programs for employee to learn and grow.

Cons

operate like a startup but without the startup perks: free lunch and other stuff.

5. Interesting technology and plenty of growth opportunity

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The open and collaborative working environment couldn't be better. Everyone looks to help each other succeed in their jobs and displays a positive attitude. Orbitz has a heavy focus on technology and attract top talent. When you work with so many talented people, you can't help but constantly learn from them. There is a constant drive to innovate everything from website/customer features to small process improvements.

Cons

With so much focus on innovation and new features some projects get done halfway. This leads to unneeded complexity and long standing technical debt. Solving some of these complex problems can be very rewarding, but frustrating.

Advice to Management

Continue to support the career growth in the way that you do today, it's great. Set clear goals for addressing technical debt and give them equal priority to product goals. This will ultimately help deliver products faster and more efficiently. Plot a path to more quickly pay down the company's debt. Available cash would give Orbitz the ability to make larger strategic moves and take market share from competitors.

6. Fun place to work where you stay challenged and engaged

Pros

Orbitz is incredibly fast paced where employees are continually challenged in their roles to push the limits and empowered to influence decisions. Opportunities to move around the organization to different areas exist and managers are supportive of helping individuals grow to assist in their career development. When it comes to celebrating and having fun, Orbitz has numerous company activities and events that keep our group refreshed and ready to take on the next new initiative.

Cons

Nothing really stands out as being a con in working here.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower your teams and continue to focus on the right things that will further improve our customer's shopping experience.

7. Fantastic learning environment with plenty of accountability

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and great culture. Everyone is super respectful and has a diverse range of backgrounds and opinions. People care about producing quality work and making our customers happy. It is a great place to work as a developer as there is a very healthy work-life balance as well as exciting problems. It is fun to not be the market leader as we constantly look for opportunities to disrupt and leapfrog the competition.

Cons

There is still a lot of work to do. Compensation isn't the highest, but is very fair considering the locale and work-life balance expectations.

Advice to Management

Keep up the focused strategy. It has paid off well. Continue focusing on the employees' concerns.

8. Great place to work

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexible times, great atmosphere, lot of freedom (as long as you are responsible). - Working in Chicago! - You can develop a career here. - Travel discount for employees - Good recruitment program

Cons

I cannot think in downsides, there are like in any other place but just not a lost

9. Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging/interesting work, flip flops and jeans, relaxed schedule, good benefits, social events, working from home, ergonomic office, valuable people, strong company.

Cons

Twenty words, hmm... Not many complaints. Sometimes, people think Orbitz sells gum. The nearest baseball team hasn't won in 105 years.

10. It's all about the people.. and the technology... and the customers

Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Orbitz in a highly collaborative environment is just amazing. What keeps it interesting, besides the great people, are the interesting challenges, cutting edge technology, and the focus on delivering value to our customers as quickly as possible.

Cons

Sometimes it takes too long to get things done, but it's all relative. Each year we get better than the last and the desire to continuously improve is a good thing too.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the business focused. The more laser focused the company is, the better the results will be for both our customers and our employees.

11. Orbitz is the premier tech company of the Midwest

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with some of the smartest engineers in the country. I have never met a single person here that i wasn't proud to work alongside, and wouldn't reccommend for another job somewhere else.

Cons

Sometimes the blob of legacy code can make it hard to add features as fast as we'd like. Its getting better over time as we retire old systems though.

RSS Feed </> Embed