Orbitz Worldwide

www.orbitz.com
  www.orbitz.com

Orbitz Worldwide Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
1,000 Reviews
4.3
1,000 Reviews

Orbitz Worldwide Chief Executive Officer Barney Harford
Barney Harford

Pros
  • Management emphasizes the work/life balance and encourages you to take vacation (in 75 reviews)

• Flexible work from home policy; good place to grow if you have the right manager (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on your department, work life balance can be tough at times (in 15 reviews)

• It's very hard to achieve unrealistic goals when Senior Management doesn't value experienced employees (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Sr Orbitz manager - considerable career advancement opportunities

Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to evolve a career - i have had many unique roles and worked on some very cool projects. Orbitz plays at the intersection of two great areas - travel and Internet. Great, talented colleagues. Great collaborative culture. The culture and work environment may be the most important attribute to me. Best mobile offering in travel.

Cons

Workload can be intense (at times); Operates in a very competitive sector so needs to be scrappy; need to be scrappy to get financial resources.

Be aggressive and keep innovating. Play for the long ball!

Great opportunity to work with smart, motivated people in a very interesting industry.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time

Pros

1) Great diverse team with good access to leadership
    2) Innovative technology with a focus on mobile
    3) Opportunity to work on localizing products for customers across the globe

Cons

1) Would benefit from a more focused strategy
    2) Complicated technology sometimes slows progress in some areas

Learn how to pivot a bit faster. When we talk about change, it seems to take too long to put it into action.

tech company with strong cultural and marketing focus

Current Employee - Senior Manager of Analytics in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager of Analytics in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well balanced work and life. Strong leadership. Lots of programs for employee to learn and grow.

Cons

operate like a startup but without the startup perks: free lunch and other stuff.

Fun company with talented individuals

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work life balance is excellent. The people are all talented, bright, and supportive. Upper management encourages growth and originality in an atmosphere of fairness. The projects are interesting and challenging, and the product of these projects are heard, considered, and applied in some cases.

Cons

The organizationation is relatively flat so opportunities for advancement is limited. While Orbitz is constantly pursuing new ideas and enhancing its business model (which makes the work interesting), growth is uncertain.

Interesting technology and plenty of growth opportunity

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The open and collaborative working environment couldn't be better. Everyone looks to help each other succeed in their jobs and displays a positive attitude.

Orbitz has a heavy focus on technology and attract top talent. When you work with so many talented people, you can't help but constantly learn from them. There is a constant drive to innovate everything from website/customer features to small process improvements.

Cons

With so much focus on innovation and new features some projects get done halfway. This leads to unneeded complexity and long standing technical debt. Solving some of these complex problems can be very rewarding, but frustrating.

Continue to support the career growth in the way that you do today, it's great.
    Set clear goals for addressing technical debt and give them equal priority to product goals. This will ultimately help deliver products faster and more efficiently.
    Plot a path to more quickly pay down the company's debt. Available cash would give Orbitz the ability to make larger strategic moves and take market share from competitors.

Excited to work more

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome technologies here. There are really a lot of technologies that you can work in, you can be an expert in anything that you choose. Not a conservative company at all, will encourage new ideas. Very employee friendly. I didn't think online travel agency would be so technical until I joined here. Lots to learn here. I love that I get a chance to work with a group of very smart people.

Cons

Not a lot of cons that I can think of at the moment. However, I feel the pay is a bit less compared to the other companies in Chicago area.

It's all about the people.. and the technology... and the customers

Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Orbitz in a highly collaborative environment is just amazing. What keeps it interesting, besides the great people, are the interesting challenges, cutting edge technology, and the focus on delivering value to our customers as quickly as possible.

Cons

Sometimes it takes too long to get things done, but it's all relative. Each year we get better than the last and the desire to continuously improve is a good thing too.

Continue to keep the business focused. The more laser focused the company is, the better the results will be for both our customers and our employees.

Stimulating

Current Employee - Management in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Management in Remote, OR

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging and innvotative work. Intelligent and motivated people to work with. Performance oriented environment where what you do is rewarded over who you know. Innovative and creative culture that enjoys pushing the envelope

Cons

More meeting space at HQ as conference rooms are at a premium and are over-booked as a result of the cube-based floor plan

Communicate more frequently to your remote staff than the quarterly all-hands

Great place to be that keeps you motivated and challenged

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Always trying to be at the cutting edge, experimenting with new technologies
    - Lots of smart people that are always willing to help and share
    - You are allowed to take risks and try new things, even if you sometimes fail, as long as you learn something
    - Great work/life balance

Cons

- Can be hectic sometimes, not for people who like to take it easy
    - Benefits could be better

Keep the company focused

Excellent Place to Work

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time

Pros

Surronded by smart people, very interesting work. It is pretty much a java shop, but more and more teams are creating new applications in Grails (Groovy), which is cool.

The company uses the latest technologies, and definitely isn't afraid to upgrade their tools to better the company.

Awesome workplace environment. I've worked in several tech companies here in Chicago, and it doesn't get better than here.

Cons

Some of the legacy java code needs some serious refactoring.