Orbitz Worldwide
www.orbitz.com Chicago, IL 1000 to 5000 Employees

Orbitz Worldwide Reviews

Updated Nov 11, 2013

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Consistently rated as a top tech company and top work/life balance company in Chicago"
    in 51 reviews
  • "Work from home options (depending on group & manager)"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Those with a good work/life balance are not high performers"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Senior Management, but recently has been making changes for the better"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sr Orbitz manager - considerable career advancement opportunities

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat place to evolve a career - i have had many unique roles and worked on some very cool projects. Orbitz plays at the intersection of two great areas - travel and Internet. Great, talented colleagues. Great collaborative culture. The culture and work environment may be the most important attribute to me. Best mobile offering in travel.

ConsWorkload can be intense (at times); Operates in a very competitive sector so needs to be scrappy; need to be scrappy to get financial resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aggressive and keep innovating. Play for the long ball!

Play a role in changing the way the world buys travel!

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunity to work on meaningful projects that impact millions of consumers in a category - travel - that's really FUN. We're not selling dog food here :)

Orbitz is on the cutting edge of technology, marketing and analytics. Great opportunity to learn while working with highly talented and engaged team members.

Fun, flat, non-hierarchical culture where ideas and execution are what matters. People move around the global organization to broaden their experience set.

Nice HR benefits like a week off between Christmas and New Year on top of decent vacations, 401K w matching and frequent social events. Some cool travel industry discounts including access to some really spectacular industry rates at hotel chains including Fairmont, Starwood and Marriott, plus 20% off hotels booked on Orbitz!

Good work/life balance, and the Orbitz offices in Chicago are on top of a major train station, making commuting really easy. Similarly Sunnyvale offices are right next to the Caltrain, and London offices are very close to Barbican tube station.

ConsUltra-competitive industry, the pace is very fast, there's always a lot of stuff to be done, and often the need for some tough prioritization decisions.

Chicago can be cold in the winter. Offsetting that, it's a world-class city, with amazing restaurants, and loads of top-notch culture of all varieties, from classical music to blues, stand-up comedy to Shakespeare.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain the focus on measuring and rewarding strong performance, even if it can be uncomfortable at times. The caliber of the team has improved so much over the last few years as a result of this.

Keep up the broad sharing of information about what is going on across the company. There's a lot going on and it can be tough to keep track of everything. The weekly newsletter helps a lot, as do annual all-hands meetings and frequent town-halls.

Great opportunity to work with smart, motivated people in a very interesting industry.

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time

Pros1) Great diverse team with good access to leadership
2) Innovative technology with a focus on mobile
3) Opportunity to work on localizing products for customers across the globe

Cons1) Would benefit from a more focused strategy
2) Complicated technology sometimes slows progress in some areas

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to pivot a bit faster. When we talk about change, it seems to take too long to put it into action.

tech company with strong cultural and marketing focus

Senior Manager of Analytics (Current Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWell balanced work and life. Strong leadership. Lots of programs for employee to learn and grow.

Consoperate like a startup but without the startup perks: free lunch and other stuff.

Fun company with talented individuals

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time for less than a year

ProsWork life balance is excellent. The people are all talented, bright, and supportive. Upper management encourages growth and originality in an atmosphere of fairness. The projects are interesting and challenging, and the product of these projects are heard, considered, and applied in some cases.

ConsThe organizationation is relatively flat so opportunities for advancement is limited. While Orbitz is constantly pursuing new ideas and enhancing its business model (which makes the work interesting), growth is uncertain.

Stimulating

Management (Current Employee)
Remote, OR

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time for more than 8 years

ProsChallenging and innvotative work. Intelligent and motivated people to work with. Performance oriented environment where what you do is rewarded over who you know. Innovative and creative culture that enjoys pushing the envelope

ConsMore meeting space at HQ as conference rooms are at a premium and are over-booked as a result of the cube-based floor plan

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more frequently to your remote staff than the quarterly all-hands

Great place to be that keeps you motivated and challenged

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- Always trying to be at the cutting edge, experimenting with new technologies
- Lots of smart people that are always willing to help and share
- You are allowed to take risks and try new things, even if you sometimes fail, as long as you learn something
- Great work/life balance

Cons- Can be hectic sometimes, not for people who like to take it easy
- Benefits could be better

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the company focused

Excellent Place to Work

Software Engineer I (Current Employee)

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time

ProsSurronded by smart people, very interesting work. It is pretty much a java shop, but more and more teams are creating new applications in Grails (Groovy), which is cool.

The company uses the latest technologies, and definitely isn't afraid to upgrade their tools to better the company.

Awesome workplace environment. I've worked in several tech companies here in Chicago, and it doesn't get better than here.

ConsSome of the legacy java code needs some serious refactoring.

Interesting technology and plenty of growth opportunity

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe open and collaborative working environment couldn't be better. Everyone looks to help each other succeed in their jobs and displays a positive attitude.

Orbitz has a heavy focus on technology and attract top talent. When you work with so many talented people, you can't help but constantly learn from them. There is a constant drive to innovate everything from website/customer features to small process improvements.

ConsWith so much focus on innovation and new features some projects get done halfway. This leads to unneeded complexity and long standing technical debt. Solving some of these complex problems can be very rewarding, but frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to support the career growth in the way that you do today, it's great.
Set clear goals for addressing technical debt and give them equal priority to product goals. This will ultimately help deliver products faster and more efficiently.
Plot a path to more quickly pay down the company's debt. Available cash would give Orbitz the ability to make larger strategic moves and take market share from competitors.

Excited to work more

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time for less than a year

ProsAwesome technologies here. There are really a lot of technologies that you can work in, you can be an expert in anything that you choose. Not a conservative company at all, will encourage new ideas. Very employee friendly. I didn't think online travel agency would be so technical until I joined here. Lots to learn here. I love that I get a chance to work with a group of very smart people.

ConsNot a lot of cons that I can think of at the moment. However, I feel the pay is a bit less compared to the other companies in Chicago area.

Worked for Orbitz Worldwide? Contribute to the Community!

Orbitz Worldwide Videos

Orbitz Worldwide – Why Work for Us?

Orbitz Worldwide (NYSE:OWW) is a leading global online travel company using technology to transform the way consumers around the world plan and purchase travel. Orbitz Worldwide operates the consumer travel planning… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Orbitz Worldwide reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Orbitz Worldwide CEO Barney Harford . All 85 reviews posted anonymously by Orbitz Worldwide employees.