Orbitz Worldwide

Updated October 31, 2014
4.4

Orbitz Worldwide Chief Executive Officer Barney Harford
Barney Harford

Pros
  • Management emphasizes the work/life balance and encourages you to take vacation (in 76 reviews)

• Flexible work from home policy; good place to grow if you have the right manager (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on your department, work life balance can be tough at times (in 14 reviews)

• It's very hard to achieve unrealistic goals when Senior Management doesn't value experienced employees (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing people! Great culture!

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Our people are the BEST… they are smart, hard working, collaborative, professional and supportive of one another. They employees form the great culture that is Orbitz. I also highly value the work-life balance, and appreciate the additional four days off we receive between Christmas and New Year. It is an invaluable perk! It is a challenging yet rewarding work environment - I really love my job and my coworkers!

Cons

For a technology company, we have an inordinate number of issues with internal reporting tools and systems. It often is a challenge to access the data and resources we need to get our jobs done effectively. There also is room for internal process improvement - particularly as it relates to working with other areas of the company. Additionally as others have mentioned, some (not all) in senior leadership positions view people as expendable, and they easily overlook the needs of their people in favor of cutting costs.

Value your people - they are your greatest asset. Don't focus on cost reduction at the expense of your people. Invest in a new server so that we can have reliable reporting tools and systems that allow us to do the jobs that you are paying us to do.

Orbitz Worldwide Response

Oct 30, 2014Dir. of Talent Development

Thank you for calling attention to the company’s most important asset – our people. We take great pride in assembling a team that is “smart, hard working, collaborative, professional and supportive ... More

Proved to be an important move in my career

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Orbitz is know for its tech savvy teams and the deployment of cutting edge technology. It is a great place to learn and share with the smartest bunch in town

Cons

The culture can get a little better with respect to make things a little light-hearted

Keep inspiring us as you always do. It is encouraging to be a part of the organization which always strives to become the best in the industry

Great place to be challenged and feel like your work matters

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, meritocracy, good company values, and strong leadership.

Cons

Although there are not a ton of barriers to getting work done, there are still a few here. Work-life balance is good but not great.

Great place to work with upward mobility

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Loads of flexibility, interesting projects, never the same day twice, good bonuses when the company is doing well (it is!), great vibe

Cons

space is getting tight, some more investment needed to address structural deficiencies in reporting and operational tools, projects now in flight to address these so should be resolved soon

In addition to new features, please make sure we continue to invest in technical debt, reporting, etc.

You find work and life balance here!

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company management is very good and friendly. No micromanaging here, they help you grow. You have golden opportunities if you work here.

Cons

Evaluation of candidates could get better.

Promoting talents takes little slow. They need to evaluate employees right and promote if needed faster than now.

Great place to work at!

Current Employee - Systems Administrator II in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator II in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

work life balance , diversity, benifits, and culture

Cons

Nothing at all, I enjoy working at Orbitz!

Productive and fun workplace with a great company culture.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator I in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator I in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are many perks working for Orbitz. The hours are flexible. There's free coffee, free pop, free oatmeal, free fruit, and multiple fridges on each floor to store your food. Foosball and pingpong tables.

Cons

Applying for internal job positions you must go through the same interview process as those outside the company.

Utilizing internal employees first should be the standard when a position opens in different departments.

Great place to work - tons of opportunities!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Orbitz has a great company culture, cross-functional opportunities, collaborative environment with very smart and friendly colleagues. I highly recommend the working environment here!

Cons

International exposure - Increase career opportunities within the OWW brands - aka international job swaps or temporary/permanent placement in other offices.

More PTO please!!

Exciting, Fun, and Open to change at all levels

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

ORBITZ WORLDWIDE (OWW) IS A DYNAMIC ORGANIZATION.
    A lot of companies say that they are a "dynamic organization", but few actually are. When a company says it is "dynamic", it usually means that you have to expect harsh, abrupt and sometimes senseless changes as the company responds to market conditions. "Dynamic", in the hands of bad leadership, can often be an excuse for bad management to constantly change the course of business which can adversely affect the employees. This is not the case with Orbitz. Orbitz is a dynamic organization in all of the best ways. They are constantly improving - constantly evolving. They are in a highly competitive environment, so it is important that they are always looking at ways to do things different and better. They are also in a generally challenging business (Travel), that literally changes with the weather. A company in this industry could not be successful without being truly dynamic and able to quickly respond to changing conditions. What sets Orbitz apart, is its ability to initiate strategic change while making every employee feel like they are agents of the change that is needed. Employees are not just "along for the ride" while management decides on a new course of action. If Orbitz is doing a push into a new market or product, we will hear about it... if not through regular meetings to discuss it, then through other communications. Very seldom is there anything that happens with OWW (unless its confidential information such as financials) that employees learn about by reading an article on CNN.com. We will generally know about it first.

OWW PAYS WELL FOR THE BEST TALENT
    In my opinion, Orbitz works hard to identify and source the best possible employees. They focus very hard on making sure that they are finding people that are the best possible mutual fit. I remember back when I was going through my interview process, the recruiter asked me "so, do you think that this seems like the type of place you would want to be?" It wasn't just about me winning them over. It was about them making sure that I would succeed. Am I a millionaire? No, but I know that OWW works hard to find the best people and make sure that the applicants know that the process is not about finding how to get the best person at the cheapest price. They pay fairly (if not better than fair), and you know that you will work hard for what you are paid.

OWW COMMUNICATES WELL
    OWW has regular employee meetings at which they discuss upcoming changes or new business. When OWW was making a major new push into a new country, they offered employees the opportunity to see what the plans were, and why the new business was going to be beneficial and positive to the entire company. In addition to these personal meetings, OWW communicates regularly through internal social networks and newsletters. They do a very good job of keeping everyone involved whenever possible. On top of all of that, the senior leadership team (SLT) is not in an ivory tower - inaccessible to the masses. You could walk into the office of the CEO if you wanted to. If they are free, the SLT are very accessible.

OWW IS ACTUALLY FUN!
    The company has regular social events, such as "Thisty Thursdays" where drinks are served and everyone comes together to meet and talk. It is very open. The atmosphere is generally casual; the idea being that what is important is the work and offering the best service to our customers. They have different employee networking groups that are very inclusive. Some of the things they offer are simple, but SO nice... like free vending machines and coffee, and being able to connect your wireless devices to the company network. They allow us to volunteer on company time, and have different events where they allow every employee the ability to push up big ideas to improve the company.

Cons

OWW is very loyal to its employees. While that normally is a wonderful attribute, it also means that they don't like taking things away from people who have been there for the company. This has lead to an organizational structure that is somewhat fragmented. Example: Person A is a director, and they have "always had" Department 1, so even if they build up an organizational structure around them, they will have the "legacy employees" in Department 1 reporting to Person A, but then other new people with the same functions may report to Person B, who is a Manager. This leads to an organizational structure that is zig-zaggy (in some departments). The global structure can also be challenging, with some people holding onto little fiefdoms even at the expense of efficiency. Some technology groups (as well as other areas) are outsourced, and even though they all would fall under the Global "OWW" umbrella, the individual companies will not allow the particular function to be centralized. In my time with the organization, this is something that is not unique in any part of the global company.

Don't ever stop communicating with the employees. Continue to keep everyone engaged and maintain the fun and hard working environment.

Consider evaluating the legacy organizational structure and see if some departments have org structures that have "just always been that way." Look to eliminate the fiefdoms that exist in some parts of the company.

Please keep looking at the benefits. The OWW from years ago had a very generous benefits program. As the company has "gone corporate", the company has moved towards a generally traditional benefits offering and cost structure. I would like to see OWW become a trailblazer and offer a more generous Educational Reimbursement program. The old Educational program OWW offered was WONDERFUL and second-to-none, and I wish that OWW would consider returning to that offering.

Otherwise, keep it up!

Fast paced, challenging and cutting edge - making me the best I can be!

Current Employee - Customer Experience in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Experience in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Personal growth with training, coaching and challenging projects; great benefits from health to vacation. I see investment in my team and encouragement of idea creation. There is also recognition for a job well done. My management give consistent feedback and recognition.

Cons

Some projects can make it difficult for work/life balance, but management is open to feedback and help adjust when feasible.

Keep up the perks, such as "bring your own device" reimbusement and the holiday vacation!