Orbitz Worldwide Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Innovative organization, but not much room for growth.

I worked at Orbitz Worldwide

Pros

innovative, think tank, open door policy, there are a lot of smart people working here. Culture is very laid back and comfortable.

Cons

Not much room for growth within IT. There are no employee development programs. Employees don't seem valued and there is a high turn over rate.

2. A great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Manager Procurement in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Procurement in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great, there is great work-life balance and management genuinely cares about their people.

Cons

You still have the standard x number of days of PTO but that's not a huge deal.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Great career opportunities, great people!

Current Employee - Business Development in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Development in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love the fact that no two days (or two years) are the same. I have really enjoyed the variety of career options i have had. And love the fact that i work with such great people (smart, hard working, non-political) at a company that is at the intersection of two great areas...Internet and travel. Chicago is an awesome city.

Cons

We operate in a very competitive sector with large and small competitors. This keeps us on our toes, which makes for an exciting enviorment.

Advice to Management

Momentum is strong...keep it up. Keep up communications.

Great analytical environment

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As an analyst, I'm happy to be in a place with tons of data and a sound data structure. They are open to what ever software helps their employees produce the best results. Good leadership and happy teammates. Good benefits and a fair amount of free stuff.

Cons

Nice building, but I have had better views.

Advice to Management

Need to switch from greenplum to hadoop

6. Absolutely Great Place to Work and Grow

Current Employee - Technical Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging work to make complex transactions appear simple and easy. Have a global impact and at the end of the day the general public cares about what you do. Smart people who are hugely supportive and willing to drop what they are working on at any time to provide help. Open culture that encourages sharing with the greater tech community.

Cons

Very self-directed culture that gives you lot's of freedom but not always clear on the priorities. Very competitive industry makes it feel like there's always a zillion things to do.

Advice to Management

Clarify strategic goals and where we're going to focus to differentiate from the competition.

7. Very stimulating place to work, great opportunities for growth and development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Orbitz is remarkably unpolitical for a company of its size. There are so many opportunities to learn about the company, and about different functions within the organization. For a company that's at the cutting edge of many areas that translates into a very unusual opportunity to learn about at scale web technologies and e-commerce.

The company has been consistently focused on 3 strategic themes for several years now: loyalty, mobile and international expansion. The company's consumer brands have industry-leading loyalty offerings - Orbitz Rewards in the US and ebookers Bonus+ in Europe - and very successful mobile apps. Internationally the company is expanding into high growth markets through its own brands, private label and corporate (managed) travel. It's nice that there is consistency of these strategic themes, so we're able to invest against them and build meaningful technology to support each of them, versus flip flopping all the time like many companies seem to do.

The Orbitz tech platform is very strong. They went through a multi-year replatforming that finished early 2012, which sucked a significant amount of resources at the time. However now it's in place it means the cycle time is way reduced. New hires on the tech side now typically ship code to the live site by the end of their first week, which is pretty cool.

Cons

It's a super competitive industry so there is always a list of things to do that is way longer than what we can get done in any given time period, which means prioritization becomes really important, and not everyone's projects are going to get done.

The performance management process compares people across different parts of the company, and means the company is able to target rewards towards the highest performers. Some people don't love this approach but it has certainly increased the caliber of people at the company quite significantly over the last 5 years or so.

Advice to Management

Opportunties to get together informally with others in the company such as "Thirsty Thursdays" are great, find ways to increase the frequency and variety of these gatherings. Also do more of the "brown bag" educational sessions.

8. Great people and environment, ideal place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lack of bureaucracy, down to earth people, laid back yet fast paced environment

Cons

Needs better tuition reimbursement policy

9. Great people, great management, lots of fun working here!

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sufficient training, understanding and motivational managers. The compensation is fair and the work life balance is unbeatable. This is an absolutely amazing place to work. It's the perfect balance of technology and business. Orbitz is always on the fore-front of providing cutting edge web-technology.

Cons

Even though business and product are moving in the right direction, there is alot of new management that are just getting onboard and adjusting their teams.

Advice to Management

Be more selective with managers. Promote managers who are good at motivating teams, not because they are good "soldiers". Also, senior management overlooks alot of the work being done by junior managers. Please be cognizant of that.

10. Amazing people! Great culture!

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Our people are the BEST… they are smart, hard working, collaborative, professional and supportive of one another. They employees form the great culture that is Orbitz. I also highly value the work-life balance, and appreciate the additional four days off we receive between Christmas and New Year. It is an invaluable perk! It is a challenging yet rewarding work environment - I really love my job and my coworkers!

Cons

For a technology company, we have an inordinate number of issues with internal reporting tools and systems. It often is a challenge to access the data and resources we need to get our jobs done effectively. There also is room for internal process improvement - particularly as it relates to working with other areas of the company. Additionally as others have mentioned, some (not all) in senior leadership positions view people as expendable, and they easily overlook the needs of their people in favor of cutting costs.

Advice to Management

Value your people - they are your greatest asset. Don't focus on cost reduction at the expense of your people. Invest in a new server so that we can have reliable reporting tools and systems that allow us to do the jobs that you are paying us to do.

Orbitz Worldwide Response

Oct 30, 2014Dir. of Talent Development

Thank you for calling attention to the company’s most important asset – our people. We take great pride in assembling a team that is “smart, hard working, collaborative, professional and supportive ... More

11. Great place to be challenged and feel like your work matters

Current Employee - Senior Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, meritocracy, good company values, and strong leadership.

Cons

Although there are not a ton of barriers to getting work done, there are still a few here. Work-life balance is good but not great.

RSS Feed </> Embed