Orbitz Worldwide

Updated January 28, 2015
4.4

Orbitz Worldwide Chief Executive Officer Barney Harford
Barney Harford

Pros
  • Management emphasizes the work/life balance and encourages you to take vacation (in 75 reviews)

• Flexible work from home policy; good place to grow if you have the right manager (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on your department, work life balance can be tough at times (in 15 reviews)

• It's very hard to achieve unrealistic goals when Senior Management doesn't value experienced employees (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work with upward mobility

Current Employee - Senior Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Loads of flexibility, interesting projects, never the same day twice, good bonuses when the company is doing well (it is!), great vibe

Cons

space is getting tight, some more investment needed to address structural deficiencies in reporting and operational tools, projects now in flight to address these so should be resolved soon

In addition to new features, please make sure we continue to invest in technical debt, reporting, etc.

Great place to work where opportunities are abundant

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great career opportunities including many lateral move opportunities, amazing culture of working together to solve problems, very collaborative work environment, flexible work scheule

Cons

Not enough market capitalization because of company's debt, but getting better. Was hamstringed by Travelport owning majority share, but that has also changed, so hopefully better things are in future for company.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart people; collaborative environment; management cares about/listens to employees; company allows for a lot of flexibility and freedom; management is open with employees

Cons

There are not too many cons - there could be more visibility into the development and promotions process. Some areas have below market compensation

Exciting, Fun, and Open to change at all levels

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

ORBITZ WORLDWIDE (OWW) IS A DYNAMIC ORGANIZATION.
    A lot of companies say that they are a "dynamic organization", but few actually are. When a company says it is "dynamic", it usually means that you have to expect harsh, abrupt and sometimes senseless changes as the company responds to market conditions. "Dynamic", in the hands of bad leadership, can often be an excuse for bad management to constantly change the course of business which can adversely affect the employees. This is not the case with Orbitz. Orbitz is a dynamic organization in all of the best ways. They are constantly improving - constantly evolving. They are in a highly competitive environment, so it is important that they are always looking at ways to do things different and better. They are also in a generally challenging business (Travel), that literally changes with the weather. A company in this industry could not be successful without being truly dynamic and able to quickly respond to changing conditions. What sets Orbitz apart, is its ability to initiate strategic change while making every employee feel like they are agents of the change that is needed. Employees are not just "along for the ride" while management decides on a new course of action. If Orbitz is doing a push into a new market or product, we will hear about it... if not through regular meetings to discuss it, then through other communications. Very seldom is there anything that happens with OWW (unless its confidential information such as financials) that employees learn about by reading an article on CNN.com. We will generally know about it first.

OWW PAYS WELL FOR THE BEST TALENT
    In my opinion, Orbitz works hard to identify and source the best possible employees. They focus very hard on making sure that they are finding people that are the best possible mutual fit. I remember back when I was going through my interview process, the recruiter asked me "so, do you think that this seems like the type of place you would want to be?" It wasn't just about me winning them over. It was about them making sure that I would succeed. Am I a millionaire? No, but I know that OWW works hard to find the best people and make sure that the applicants know that the process is not about finding how to get the best person at the cheapest price. They pay fairly (if not better than fair), and you know that you will work hard for what you are paid.

OWW COMMUNICATES WELL
    OWW has regular employee meetings at which they discuss upcoming changes or new business. When OWW was making a major new push into a new country, they offered employees the opportunity to see what the plans were, and why the new business was going to be beneficial and positive to the entire company. In addition to these personal meetings, OWW communicates regularly through internal social networks and newsletters. They do a very good job of keeping everyone involved whenever possible. On top of all of that, the senior leadership team (SLT) is not in an ivory tower - inaccessible to the masses. You could walk into the office of the CEO if you wanted to. If they are free, the SLT are very accessible.

OWW IS ACTUALLY FUN!
    The company has regular social events, such as "Thisty Thursdays" where drinks are served and everyone comes together to meet and talk. It is very open. The atmosphere is generally casual; the idea being that what is important is the work and offering the best service to our customers. They have different employee networking groups that are very inclusive. Some of the things they offer are simple, but SO nice... like free vending machines and coffee, and being able to connect your wireless devices to the company network. They allow us to volunteer on company time, and have different events where they allow every employee the ability to push up big ideas to improve the company.

Cons

OWW is very loyal to its employees. While that normally is a wonderful attribute, it also means that they don't like taking things away from people who have been there for the company. This has lead to an organizational structure that is somewhat fragmented. Example: Person A is a director, and they have "always had" Department 1, so even if they build up an organizational structure around them, they will have the "legacy employees" in Department 1 reporting to Person A, but then other new people with the same functions may report to Person B, who is a Manager. This leads to an organizational structure that is zig-zaggy (in some departments). The global structure can also be challenging, with some people holding onto little fiefdoms even at the expense of efficiency. Some technology groups (as well as other areas) are outsourced, and even though they all would fall under the Global "OWW" umbrella, the individual companies will not allow the particular function to be centralized. In my time with the organization, this is something that is not unique in any part of the global company.

Don't ever stop communicating with the employees. Continue to keep everyone engaged and maintain the fun and hard working environment.

Consider evaluating the legacy organizational structure and see if some departments have org structures that have "just always been that way." Look to eliminate the fiefdoms that exist in some parts of the company.

Please keep looking at the benefits. The OWW from years ago had a very generous benefits program. As the company has "gone corporate", the company has moved towards a generally traditional benefits offering and cost structure. I would like to see OWW become a trailblazer and offer a more generous Educational Reimbursement program. The old Educational program OWW offered was WONDERFUL and second-to-none, and I wish that OWW would consider returning to that offering.

Otherwise, keep it up!

Fast paced, challenging and cutting edge - making me the best I can be!

Current Employee - Customer Experience in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Experience in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Personal growth with training, coaching and challenging projects; great benefits from health to vacation. I see investment in my team and encouragement of idea creation. There is also recognition for a job well done. My management give consistent feedback and recognition.

Cons

Some projects can make it difficult for work/life balance, but management is open to feedback and help adjust when feasible.

Keep up the perks, such as "bring your own device" reimbusement and the holiday vacation!

Great Work life balance

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, great talented people, good benefits and perks.

Cons

I cant think of anything to complain about. Really awesome to work here and people and work culture is great.

One of the best company to work for

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people - always willing to help you out. Uses cutting edge technology and great learning experience, and never afraid to innovate technologically.

Cons

You can easily be pulled into the lull of working around the clock. They do say the timing is flexible, and it is even true to an extent; but still long way from making it as a truly flexi timing company

keep up the good work of being very transparent in your communication.

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very dynamic company. Still has a entrepreneurial spirit and always striving to develop new tools and products. The talent level is extremely high which leads to strong teams and strong projects.

Cons

Be will to quickly adjust to shifting projects.

Awesome company to work for!

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun and casual work environment. Great work-life balance, plus the company has volunteer opportunities and is all about Pride parades! Office surprise treats, thirsty Thursdays, brewstorms (brainstorm meetings with brew), and trivia days are regularly happening. Plus there's amazing travel perks and tons of opportunities to win flight vouchers!

Cons

The vacation-experts need more vacation days!

Very well managed, and organized. Even with employees coming and going management stays strong! Way to go senior leadership team!

Best move of my career!

Current Employee - Manager, Feature Team Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've been in the software development industry for about 18 years and never have I seen a company and culture like this before. I've only been with Orbitz for a short time, but you can just tell after the first day. The people are amazing and the company empowers you to be better at your job. I've waited to work at a company like this for a very long time.

Cons

I really haven't come across anything to complain about.

Keep up the great work. Keep following whatever instincts have brought you to this point. They're working!