www.orbitz.com

Updated December 20, 2014
4.4

Orbitz Worldwide Chief Executive Officer Barney Harford
Barney Harford

Pros
  • Management emphasizes the work/life balance and encourages you to take vacation (in 75 reviews)

• Flexible work from home policy; good place to grow if you have the right manager (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on your department, work life balance can be tough at times (in 15 reviews)

• It's very hard to achieve unrealistic goals when Senior Management doesn't value experienced employees (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Exciting, Fun, and Open to change at all levels

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

ORBITZ WORLDWIDE (OWW) IS A DYNAMIC ORGANIZATION.
    A lot of companies say that they are a "dynamic organization", but few actually are. When a company says it is "dynamic", it usually means that you have to expect harsh, abrupt and sometimes senseless changes as the company responds to market conditions. "Dynamic", in the hands of bad leadership, can often be an excuse for bad management to constantly change the course of business which can adversely affect the employees. This is not the case with Orbitz. Orbitz is a dynamic organization in all of the best ways. They are constantly improving - constantly evolving. They are in a highly competitive environment, so it is important that they are always looking at ways to do things different and better. They are also in a generally challenging business (Travel), that literally changes with the weather. A company in this industry could not be successful without being truly dynamic and able to quickly respond to changing conditions. What sets Orbitz apart, is its ability to initiate strategic change while making every employee feel like they are agents of the change that is needed. Employees are not just "along for the ride" while management decides on a new course of action. If Orbitz is doing a push into a new market or product, we will hear about it... if not through regular meetings to discuss it, then through other communications. Very seldom is there anything that happens with OWW (unless its confidential information such as financials) that employees learn about by reading an article on CNN.com. We will generally know about it first.

OWW PAYS WELL FOR THE BEST TALENT
    In my opinion, Orbitz works hard to identify and source the best possible employees. They focus very hard on making sure that they are finding people that are the best possible mutual fit. I remember back when I was going through my interview process, the recruiter asked me "so, do you think that this seems like the type of place you would want to be?" It wasn't just about me winning them over. It was about them making sure that I would succeed. Am I a millionaire? No, but I know that OWW works hard to find the best people and make sure that the applicants know that the process is not about finding how to get the best person at the cheapest price. They pay fairly (if not better than fair), and you know that you will work hard for what you are paid.

OWW COMMUNICATES WELL
    OWW has regular employee meetings at which they discuss upcoming changes or new business. When OWW was making a major new push into a new country, they offered employees the opportunity to see what the plans were, and why the new business was going to be beneficial and positive to the entire company. In addition to these personal meetings, OWW communicates regularly through internal social networks and newsletters. They do a very good job of keeping everyone involved whenever possible. On top of all of that, the senior leadership team (SLT) is not in an ivory tower - inaccessible to the masses. You could walk into the office of the CEO if you wanted to. If they are free, the SLT are very accessible.

OWW IS ACTUALLY FUN!
    The company has regular social events, such as "Thisty Thursdays" where drinks are served and everyone comes together to meet and talk. It is very open. The atmosphere is generally casual; the idea being that what is important is the work and offering the best service to our customers. They have different employee networking groups that are very inclusive. Some of the things they offer are simple, but SO nice... like free vending machines and coffee, and being able to connect your wireless devices to the company network. They allow us to volunteer on company time, and have different events where they allow every employee the ability to push up big ideas to improve the company.

Cons

OWW is very loyal to its employees. While that normally is a wonderful attribute, it also means that they don't like taking things away from people who have been there for the company. This has lead to an organizational structure that is somewhat fragmented. Example: Person A is a director, and they have "always had" Department 1, so even if they build up an organizational structure around them, they will have the "legacy employees" in Department 1 reporting to Person A, but then other new people with the same functions may report to Person B, who is a Manager. This leads to an organizational structure that is zig-zaggy (in some departments). The global structure can also be challenging, with some people holding onto little fiefdoms even at the expense of efficiency. Some technology groups (as well as other areas) are outsourced, and even though they all would fall under the Global "OWW" umbrella, the individual companies will not allow the particular function to be centralized. In my time with the organization, this is something that is not unique in any part of the global company.

Don't ever stop communicating with the employees. Continue to keep everyone engaged and maintain the fun and hard working environment.

Consider evaluating the legacy organizational structure and see if some departments have org structures that have "just always been that way." Look to eliminate the fiefdoms that exist in some parts of the company.

Please keep looking at the benefits. The OWW from years ago had a very generous benefits program. As the company has "gone corporate", the company has moved towards a generally traditional benefits offering and cost structure. I would like to see OWW become a trailblazer and offer a more generous Educational Reimbursement program. The old Educational program OWW offered was WONDERFUL and second-to-none, and I wish that OWW would consider returning to that offering.

Otherwise, keep it up!

Fast paced, challenging and cutting edge - making me the best I can be!

Current Employee - Customer Experience in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Experience in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Personal growth with training, coaching and challenging projects; great benefits from health to vacation. I see investment in my team and encouragement of idea creation. There is also recognition for a job well done. My management give consistent feedback and recognition.

Cons

Some projects can make it difficult for work/life balance, but management is open to feedback and help adjust when feasible.

Keep up the perks, such as "bring your own device" reimbusement and the holiday vacation!

So far, so good!

Current Employee - Senior Product Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Product Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of smart people doing work that really matters. Great opportunities for growth - moving over to other teams and new internal opportunities is not only acceptable, it's encouraged. Management is realistic about goals/deadlines, down to earth, and truly understand the travel industry. Training isn't an after-thought here, there are lunch and learns or some kind of learning sessions happening every week on a variety of subjects. Benefits are awesome.

Cons

Only been around for about 2 months, still reveling in the pros! The only thing I can think of is my team happens to be completely offshore, so timing of meetings and such can be challenging, but, I'm not losing sleep over it.

Keep on keepin' on.

Great place to work where opportunities are abundant

Current Employee - Manager, Feature Team Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager, Feature Team Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great career opportunities including many lateral move opportunities, amazing culture of working together to solve problems, very collaborative work environment, flexible work scheule

Cons

Not enough market capitalization because of company's debt, but getting better. Was hamstringed by Travelport owning majority share, but that has also changed, so hopefully better things are in future for company.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Team Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The time off is very good with a week off during the holidays. Coworkers are very friendly and helpful and the culture is laid back and upbeat. Work life balance is encouraged and opportunities are found everywhere to help take small breaks during work with small perks here and there.

Cons

Head leadership can flip flop on what is communicated to what actually happens. Feels l like managers manager does not take the time to get to know people below direct reports

Be more visible and open with communications and would be great if CEO showed more interest in the people that work for him

Good place to start your career

Current Employee - Technology Leader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technology Leader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

* Freedom to try new technologies
    * Had the benefit of some great mentors early on in my career
    * Fun culture and peer group
    * Hard work mostly pays off
    * Work life balance & vacation policy

Cons

* Coordination across groups can be better
    * Sometimes one has to be "insider" to be recognized and grow

* Provide a clear product strategy & goals given the age of mobile cross devices / new payment types / internationalization / personalization

Satisfied

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Freedom to try out new things, work life balance, Smart colleagues

Cons

Compensation is around average, nothing else

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Greant Work/Life Balance and Great co-workers

Cons

Orbitz is growing and with growth there are some growing pains especially with changes in Managerment and sometime directions of company goals. But still a great place

Great People, Interesting Problems, Challenging Market.

Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time

Pros

People are great to work with, nice, easy to get along with. Company invests in training it's people. Good performance is rewarded. Hard working culture (before 530 pm).

Cons

Stingy vacation policy for new hires, stack ranking for employees, lack of clear expectations and goals from management.

Continue to invest in people. Tighten up organization goals so it's clear where we are heading.

Been part of Orbitz over 2 years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast pace industry
    Get to work with latest industry technology and tools
    Casual attire
    Breakfast, fruits and soda free

Cons

The performance evaluation system is very long and not appropriate
    Commute from suburbs can be tough at times

Look into the The performance evaluation system