Orbitz Worldwide

Updated December 13, 2014
4.4

Orbitz Worldwide Chief Executive Officer Barney Harford
Barney Harford

Pros
  • Management emphasizes the work/life balance and encourages you to take vacation (in 75 reviews)

• Flexible work from home policy; good place to grow if you have the right manager (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on your department, work life balance can be tough at times (in 15 reviews)

• It's very hard to achieve unrealistic goals when Senior Management doesn't value experienced employees (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Micro Management is a big concern

Current Employee - Software Enineer_Business Intelligence Teams in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Enineer_Business Intelligence Teams in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1) Orbitz provides opportunities for personal growth.
    2) Daily Breakfast
    3) Adoption of latest technologies.
    4) Convenient to commute.

Cons

1) Work - life balance is a big joke. Working in agile model makes this place less fun.
    2) No employee appreciation
    3) Micro Management.

Encourage employee appreciation and eliminate micro management. Encourage team outings / lunches so there would be a good bond with in the team.

Orbitz Worldwide is an exciting place to start my post-MBA career

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time

Pros

The company is open to different opportunities and ideas, which I do appreciate a lot. Another thing impressed me is that the co-workers here are very diverse and open-minded. What is more, the location is great, Chicago is a great city which has a lot of cool things to offer.

Cons

The internal system is a little bit complicated, it takes longer time to set up everything and keep thing running efficiently.

Keep being bold and trying new ideas for further growth opportunities.

Jul 30, 2014Dir. of Talent Development

Thank you for your feedback, indeed we are proud to foster a corporate culture that encourages a diverse and open-minded exchange of ideas across all teams. And we couldn’t agree more that Chicago is ... More

Awesome

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide

Pros

Great place, smart, wonderful, great people, great product and fun industry

Cons

Too many excessive hours required and must live in Chicago

So far, so great...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (less than an year)

Pros

High caliber of individuals, commitment of teams to product excellence and work-life balance are tremendous.

Cons

Lot's of internal systems with limited formal training and education during the on-boarding process make navigation somewhat challenging at first. Additionally, BI systems are unreliable.

Invest in properly functioning and scalable tools that will allow your analyze and run the business seamlessly as you continue to grow

If you're looking for work-life balance, you've come to the right place...

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than an year)

Pros

--work-life balance is top-knotch
    --flexible
    --smart, friendly people
    --very convenient location in major train station
    --pay and benefits are competitive, not amazing but solid
    --high-tech culture is engaging
    --thirsty thursday keg parties and other events
    --global feel, many cultures represented
    --casual dress code
    --travel discounts

Cons

--senior leaders don't always seems to share the whole picture
    --long-term plan is kind of vague
    --internal growth only an option for certain career tracks
    --leadership development is so-so

--I realize it's a large company, so it's hard, but try to share your real thoughts about our future
    --improve benefits / other offerings (summer Fridays?) to make up for slight pay gap vs. other companies

Fun and exciting company with a lot of upward mobility.

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Outstanding work life balance, exposure to working with people passionate about the product, collaborative work environment.

Cons

Training has been a little light, other groups within technology have strong onboarding structures though.

Exciting, Collaborative, & Fast Paced Work Environment!

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time

Pros

Very positive work environment, filled with talented and friendly people. You have the ability to truly make a difference at Orbitz, and don't feel as though you are just a number. Work/Life balance is great and very flexible (work from home if needed). The pay and benefits are very competitive, plus travel perks!

Cons

Consider adding summer hours and offering a little more vacation time to new employees.

Be more accessible to the general employee population. It would be nice to see senior management interact more with everyone in the Chicago office.

Jun 27, 2014Dir. of Talent Development

Great to hear that you enjoy the work environment, people, work/life balance, pay and benefits – you hit on all the elements that set us apart as a fantastic place to work. Your observation about ... More

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, friendly co-works, nice environment. Cutting edge web-technology company. Management emphasizes the work/life balance and encourages you to take vacation.

Cons

Although management encourages professional growth, it doesn't happen in reality. Training is offered but very limited. It's very hard to achieve unrealistic goals when Senior Management doesn't value experienced employees.

Jun 27, 2014Dir. of Talent Development

Thanks for highlighting all the elements you enjoy about our culture, but in regards to your “Cons” … are you familiar with Orbitz University? Along with many other tools and resources, Orbitz ... More

Decent company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, professional. Understanding of work-life balance. Good benefits. Decent work culture. HQ located near train station, easy to commute.

Cons

The people are great for the most part, but I found it difficult to grow my career there. I'm sure there are stories of people growing there, and I'm not taking away from that. It just didn't happen to me.

First year was great, and then it just went downhill

Former Employee - Former Manager-level Employee
    Former Employee - Former Manager-level Employee

I worked at Orbitz Worldwide full-time

Pros

My first year at Orbitz was great. Loved the environment, learned about the travel industry, and worked with wonderful people. Also, this is the time HR asks you to comment on glassdoor.com, when you are fresh and everything seems perfect. Very smart.

Cons

After my first year, I learned the truth about Orbitz. Not much potential for growth. Investment in training and learning does not exist. I asked many times about going to training seminars, but was turned down because of "budget" reasons. Upper management is absolutely horrible, no backbone at all. After I left the company, I realized how much I did not learn at Orbitz. I felt I had gone backwards instead of forwards in my industry. Also, after I left the company, I found out I was blocked from an internal opportunity by upper management. And I was lied to about the reason why I didn't get the job. Makes me sick. HR is clueless. My exist interview was a joke.

Support the people who are on your team, and stand up for them. Do not think about only yourselves. Be honest. Do not take advantage of people. Provide growth potential.

Jun 12, 2014Dir. of Talent Development

Sorry to hear you did not personally witness much potential for growth during your time at the company, but Orbitz is committed to promoting individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the ... More