Orchard Supply Hardware

Updated January 11, 2015
2.8

Orchard Supply Hardware President Richard D. Maltsbarger
Richard D. Maltsbarger

Pros
  • Flexible hours and lot of room for learning and improvement (in 7 reviews)

• More great people around me than those who don't measure up (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay for the amount of work that they expect you to do (in 8 reviews)

• The pay is minimum wage unless you know someone in the corporate office, then you can get more (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware

Pros

The people working at HQ are awesome yet not allowed to friendly. Any kindness between associates is seen as a threat to upper Management

Cons

compensation, work enviroment, recruiting team- mean spirited

get rid of Dir. of Recruiting- he is awful and places monetary bets on how long an employee will last.

Decent retail job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Lorenzo, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Lorenzo, CA

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros: you get to learn about home improvement and the people there are nice. And the hours are flexible. Good first job for people in school.

Cons

Like any retail job, customers play a big role in you having a good day or a bad day. The managers would also get transferred a lot so sometimes that led to inconsistencies with leadership.

Sad Story

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware

Pros

Dedicated and passionate associates, many of which are long term. Beautiful new store format which was created and developed by a leader who is no longer with the company.

Cons

Lowes, as predicted by many after purchasing Orchard, is already ruining this 80+ year old company that has been a California staple for generations. The best of Orchards upper level and field management was let go by the new President of Orchard (A Lowes Guy). Just another example of why Home Depot has been kicking Lowes behind for over 30 years......

Take a look in the mirror..... "The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the name on the back"! The sooner you figure this out the better.

Hard to get ahead.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pismo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pismo Beach, CA

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fairly flexible scheduling, good training for department programs, Company sponsored social events.

Cons

Very low pay and raise schedule: after working here for over two years I was making less than the new hires.

To be fair, it was a decent job but I just wasn't into the home improvement retail

Former Employee - Cashier in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware

Pros

If you like to be helpful, OSH has a great customer service philosophy. The team was good at both locations I worked. The managers worked with me and even helped out.

Cons

Pay is not good. I felt like sometimes they expected you to put forth effort that I don't find worthy of the paycheck.

Understand the limitations of the business plan. I understand the reliance on personal connection, and this is great in itself, however, I find that at time it falls short if other things aren't also accomplished. Examples: prices, software accessibility, etc.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time

Pros

Co-workers are knowledgeable and fun. The larger stores have a more relaxed atmosphere. The inventory mix is improving. Transferring is easy.

Cons

Hours vary. Very few Full-time unless you are a Dept. Lead . That is common with many companies.
    Turn over of employees is common.

Management runs according to Corporate.

going in the right direction

Current Employee - Supervisor in Tracy, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Tracy, CA

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good job security. fair pay

Cons

benefits could be a bit better

Good learning experience

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cool staffs and fun environment. Flexible hours and lot of room for learning and improvement.

Cons

Needs to improve their system. Minimum wage.

Short Term employment, Awesome manager's, friendly people. Struggling company looking to rebound after a tough recession

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fountain Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fountain Valley, CA

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome manager's and friendly people. No real opinion on over all company structure
    or upper management. I was only employed there for a short period of time, but enjoyed my time none the less.

Cons

I was hired, than informed that the store would be closing within a year. No real opinion on over all company structure

Love the people you work with, but get paid a fraction of your worth.

Current Employee - Certified Nursery Sales Associate in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Nursery Sales Associate in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee comradery and loyalty (4 of my coworkers have been with company at same location for 20+ years), genuinely respectful clientele, store management team is reasonably fair, accommodating, and usually shows gratitude for good work. Morning meetings keep crew updated on sales, changes, atta boys, and promotions.
    Management is accommodating with needs and scheduling, and I feel that they would do more than they can if they could.

Cons

PAY: Not even close to what it should be for the knowledge and physical labor needed for the position. Don't expect any cost of living raises or any raises or bonuses for that matter. And no consideration if you reside in an area with above-average cost of living.
    Overloaded Workload: Corporate driven payroll hours cut, leaving less bodies on the sales floor than needed. One person can be expected to cover 3 or more departments at any given time.
    Too much work to be done and not enough people to do it: gone are the days of an actual "STOCK CREW"
    Club Orchard: Enrollment is a customer choice, yet staff gets penalized when signup percentages are down.
    Benefits: Only for the minimal FULLTIME Employees, premiums were so high I had to decline them myself.

This is for the Corporate People: District Managers, Buyers, Marketing,etc. Not my Store Manager or Assistants:
    1. Club Orchard: Do not penalize our staff for lack of new memberships! Some stores are in smaller cities and have exhausted any new possible enrollments and/or there are just some customers who won't budge and are sick of us asking. We could get more enrollments if we didn't require email.
    2. If you want us to C.A.R.E. and provide "Legendary Customer Service", you need to stop taking payroll hours and dumping extra workload on already exhausted and underpaid staff. We can't C.A.R.E. and provide "Legendary Customer Service" to everyone if ONE PERSON is covering Hardware, Plumbing/Electrical, and carrying the Nursery Phone, which rings excessively.
    3. Districts: Focus on your problematic stores and stay out of the ones that are productive. Obviously, we are doing something right and you don't need to keep stopping by and stressing out my boss and nitpicking little things that cannot be fixed at the moment because the only staff capable of fixing it is "Providing Legendary Customer Service" and can't get to dusting a shelf.
    4. Before discontinuing a product, please research where product sells, and maybe ask a few employees who actually are on the sales floor selling it, before making a decision.
    5. Nursery: Please quit the push orders and then blame us for high markdowns! Markdowns would be significantly less if we had more control over what we get. Just because it's flying out the door in Visalia doesn't mean that it will be profitable in Napa.

Orchard Supply Hardware Photos