Orchard Supply Hardware

Updated September 17, 2014
2.6

Orchard Supply Hardware President Richard D. Maltsbarger
Richard D. Maltsbarger

Pros
  • Flexible hours and understanding of emergencies (in 5 reviews)

• More great people around me than those who don't measure up (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay for the amount of work that they expect you to do (in 7 reviews)

• The pay is minimum wage unless you know someone in the corporate office, then you can get more (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

New manager destroying what previous manager built.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great coworkers. Great customers. Now great stock levels and getting better. Not as much crappy merchandise as under previous leadership. Working towards getting more "Made in USA" products.

Cons

Previous manager spent about 2 years establishing a top end store. One that was awarded Store of the Year, top performer in Club Orchard sign ups. Following a complete transformation of the store Corporate transferred the manager to another store and brought in a manager from a poor performing store. The new manager came it Orchard with a group that came from another company that had all but destroyed the whole chain yet they are still in the mix doing the same things as before that ended with them filing bankruptcy. Hoping that the CEO opens his eyes and removes these guys and then brings in management that improves moral. The store has loss many good employees and sales are slumping in a time when we should be excelling.

This manager offered employees a promotion with responsibilities of over seeing other associates without fully investigating the employees current salaries and offered them less then what they were currently making. Then has cut these employees hours because they turned him down.

Educate your managers as to prevailing wages, how to write a proposed promotion include responsibilities and wages that meet employees new responsibilities and don't allow them to retaliate if turned down by cutting their hours. CEO needs to look at store performance and take a closer look at Store Managers and their backgrounds.

Culture is clique-ish, Teams work in silos. Outdated computer system.

Former Employee - Store Support Center (HQ)  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Store Support Center (HQ) in San Jose, CA

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware full-time

Pros

Top management portrayed a positive outlook after Lowe's acquired OSH as a subsidiary. A few friendly employees made coming into the office rewarding.

Cons

Communication can be muddled at times, with the same goal not being expressed throughout the organization. Teams work in silos and are not aware of what other teams have implemented (and vice-versa). OSH's main computer system is extremely outdated (circa early 1990s...think DOS), making it difficult to run reports and finish work efficiently. One has to re-learn to go backwards in time, which

Clear communication starts from the top-down, along with genuine positive leadership.

department manager

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware

Pros

none
    awful work environment for all
    with my whole heart
    never again
    hated vevery day

Cons

everything from managers to corporate are awfukl here the ystem is flawed and degrading rapidly. no growth and no one cares. this place is a mess

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful untrustworthy managers, favoritism

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Visalia, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Visalia, CA

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great hrs, wonderful customers, clean store, some employees are like a family.

Cons

Management, lack of follow through, favoritism, THE PAY SUCKS!!!!

Pay your people better, respect your employees, if you have a bad day at home, don't take it out on us. Respect that we have an open door policy, and we "try" to come to you first.

Poor Management

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chico, CA

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Access to good employee discounts to products storewide. 20% on top of sales items as well. Working Hours were not bad, never working later than 10PM.

Cons

I started as a Sales Associate and the pay was minimum wage. I was told I would have a review after three months and would receive a raise. I never received a review or raise, even after asking the management multiple times. I don't know if this was just at the location I worked or not, but the management was terrible. Very lazy and unmotivated individuals that literally drove me to quitting this job. Poor training.

Be enthusiastic, motivate your employees. Make them feel appreciated.

Great College Job

Current Employee - Pick-up Associate  in  Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Pick-up Associate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly Manager staff, Flexible hours, work very well with any scheduling conflicts

Cons

closes late and many times no one is in the store after 8:00pm. Some employees are unsure of what they are doing or don't seem to care about the job, just in it for the money

Past experience was not stellar but provided a few moments of personal growth.

Former Employee - Cashier At First, Nursery Associate/Sales  in  Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier At First, Nursery Associate/Sales in Newark, CA

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time for more than a year

Pros

If interested, can gain knowledge of various hardware, plants etc. Cashiers have potential to be moved to other parts of the store, increasing skill set, albeit marginally depending on the circumstances.

Cons

Employees don't seem to have much respect for one another, I felt more respected by the management at times.

Promote more workplace harmony

Worth it. Great place to work while at college!

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Older guys in the departments often know A LOT. Fun to learn from them on the job and hear their stories as you work.

Cons

Minimum wage. Morale at the store I worked at went downhill over time as I worked there.

low pay, low morale, dont expect miracles

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time for more than a year

Pros

flex scheduling is probably the only good thing about the job

Cons

communication between management and sales floor is a joke; might as well not have managers

managers more interested in getting their bonuses than helping the employees do their jobs

take care of the employees if you expect results

Female managers vs. male managers

Former Employee - Merchandise Manager
    Former Employee - Merchandise Manager

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If your a male and would like a career at OSH it's easy all that is required is that your male. It's a "Boys Club" type of enviroment,

Cons

There is ALOT of sexual harassment by the male managers to other female managers AND female associates. It seems that male managers who "slept around" with co-workers and even associates got promoted more than anyone else male or female.

They need to start holding male managers who make comments/jokes about female associates more accountable and punish them not reward them with a promotion and/or raise

Worked for Orchard Supply Hardware? Contribute to the Community!