Orchard Supply Hardware Reviews

107 reviews filtered by

1. going in the right direction

Current Employee - Supervisor in Tracy, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Tracy, CA

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good job security. fair pay

Cons

benefits could be a bit better

2. Good learning experience

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cool staffs and fun environment. Flexible hours and lot of room for learning and improvement.

Cons

Needs to improve their system. Minimum wage.

Love the people you work with, but get paid a fraction of your worth.

Current Employee - Certified Nursery Sales Associate in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Nursery Sales Associate in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee comradery and loyalty (4 of my coworkers have been with company at same location for 20+ years), genuinely respectful clientele, store management team is reasonably fair, accommodating, and usually shows gratitude for good work. Morning meetings keep crew updated on sales, changes, atta boys, and promotions.
    Management is accommodating with needs and scheduling, and I feel that they would do more than they can if they could.

Cons

PAY: Not even close to what it should be for the knowledge and physical labor needed for the position. Don't expect any cost of living raises or any raises or bonuses for that matter. And no consideration if you reside in an area with above-average cost of living.
    Overloaded Workload: Corporate driven payroll hours cut, leaving less bodies on the sales floor than needed. One person can be expected to cover 3 or more departments at any given time.
    Too much work to be done and not enough people to do it: gone are the days of an actual "STOCK CREW"
    Club Orchard: Enrollment is a customer choice, yet staff gets penalized when signup percentages are down.
    Benefits: Only for the minimal FULLTIME Employees, premiums were so high I had to decline them myself.

This is for the Corporate People: District Managers, Buyers, Marketing,etc. Not my Store Manager or Assistants:
    1. Club Orchard: Do not penalize our staff for lack of new memberships! Some stores are in smaller cities and have exhausted any new possible enrollments and/or there are just some customers who won't budge and are sick of us asking. We could get more enrollments if we didn't require email.
    2. If you want us to C.A.R.E. and provide "Legendary Customer Service", you need to stop taking payroll hours and dumping extra workload on already exhausted and underpaid staff. We can't C.A.R.E. and provide "Legendary Customer Service" to everyone if ONE PERSON is covering Hardware, Plumbing/Electrical, and carrying the Nursery Phone, which rings excessively.
    3. Districts: Focus on your problematic stores and stay out of the ones that are productive. Obviously, we are doing something right and you don't need to keep stopping by and stressing out my boss and nitpicking little things that cannot be fixed at the moment because the only staff capable of fixing it is "Providing Legendary Customer Service" and can't get to dusting a shelf.
    4. Before discontinuing a product, please research where product sells, and maybe ask a few employees who actually are on the sales floor selling it, before making a decision.
    5. Nursery: Please quit the push orders and then blame us for high markdowns! Markdowns would be significantly less if we had more control over what we get. Just because it's flying out the door in Visalia doesn't mean that it will be profitable in Napa.

5. Short Term employment, Awesome manager's, friendly people. Struggling company looking to rebound after a tough recession

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fountain Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fountain Valley, CA

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome manager's and friendly people. No real opinion on over all company structure
    or upper management. I was only employed there for a short period of time, but enjoyed my time none the less.

Cons

I was hired, than informed that the store would be closing within a year. No real opinion on over all company structure

Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Treats employees with respect
    Flexible hours
    Good Pay
    Advancement Opportunities
    Good Training Rallys

Cons

Employees with a bad attitude and resistance to change
    Favoritism and drama

Work with Lowes to get products at a more competitive price to customers.
    Open stores in better locations rather than ones that are tucked away

7. Decent job, better if you wear many hats.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/Sales Associate

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some flexibility in hours, great employee discount that compounds with sales for awesome deals, ability to learn cool hardware information from the more experienced employees, typically pretty relaxed environment.

Cons

Management will make or break your experience (I had a terrible first manager that everyone in the store disliked, and a wonderful second manager who kept everyone happy. Made a humungous difference). Pay isn't great, but I wasn't expecting it to be. Customers seem to be grumpier here than anywhere else. Constantly forced to ask customers to join a rewards club that barely nets them any rewards. The stores are constantly understaffed, but there are also not always enough hours. So folks are overworked and simultaneously not getting enough hours.

Less corporate oversight, and better information for employees on the timing of sales and how they work. Most associates don't know anything about upcoming sales, and some are rather complex (like drill trade-ins).

8. My experience at this job has been good. Ive learned a lot

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company is ok to work with. Theres not really to much to say.

Cons

compensation is ok. minimum wage

9. Great people who are experts in their departments.

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware (more than a year)

Pros

Super people in sales and customer service. They have extensive expertise to help customers with their projects.

Cons

Scheduling problems for employees. Under staffed on the sales floor and top heavy in management.

Identify, develop, promote and appreciate your topnotch employees before you lose them. Keep staff in the areas of their expertise with some cross training to help in other areas, but keep focus on what they know best. Staff the store to meet the customers needs. If sales are down and you react by cutting back on floor staff so the customers who do come in can't get the support they need and expect you will lose them too and we all know the sad end to that story.

10. Great environment but corporate personnel needs to be better trained.

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware

Pros

Most associates are friendly and helpful but there's never enough help.

Cons

There is never enough help.

Management needs to be involved more.

11. Decent entry level position to learn about the hardware business

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn about different aspects of a hardware store

Cons

Not enough employees to assist with the needs of the customers

Like most businesses, management never seeks the opinions of employees on how to make the operation run more efficiently.

Orchard Supply Hardware Photos