Orchard Supply Hardware

www.osh.com

Orchard Supply Hardware Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014
Orchard Supply Hardware – San Jose – “Princeton Plaza store”

Orchard Supply Hardware – San Jose – “Princeton Plaza store”

Orchard Supply Hardware President Richard D. Maltsbarger

Richard D. Maltsbarger

Pros
  • Flexible hours and understanding of emergencies (in 5 reviews)

• More great people around me than those who don't measure up (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay for the amount of work that they expect you to do (in 7 reviews)

• The pay is minimum wage unless you know someone in the corporate office, then you can get more (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

low pay, low morale, dont expect miracles

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

Prosflex scheduling is probably the only good thing about the job

Conscommunication between management and sales floor is a joke; might as well not have managers

managers more interested in getting their bonuses than helping the employees do their jobs

Advice to Senior Managementtake care of the employees if you expect results

Female managers vs. male managers

Merchandise Manager (Former Employee)

ProsIf your a male and would like a career at OSH it's easy all that is required is that your male. It's a "Boys Club" type of enviroment,

ConsThere is ALOT of sexual harassment by the male managers to other female managers AND female associates. It seems that male managers who "slept around" with co-workers and even associates got promoted more than anyone else male or female.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to start holding male managers who make comments/jokes about female associates more accountable and punish them not reward them with a promotion and/or raise

Worth it. Great place to work while at college!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOlder guys in the departments often know A LOT. Fun to learn from them on the job and hear their stories as you work.

ConsMinimum wage. Morale at the store I worked at went downhill over time as I worked there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Organization is constant change...but no real change

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsWork life balance was good although I know for others it was not.... so depends on your role and connection to Sr. Management

ConsEmployed before the bankruptcy sale to Lowe’s, but there was not a lot of growth in many of the stores, wasn’t a lot of career advancement opportunities due to lack of growth.

dead end no matter what you do

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

Prosclose to home
    friendly employees
    store BBQ maybe once a year

Cons-no raises no matter where you get promoted(ive been a cashier, worked nursery, and i am a CSR)
    -no yearly raise(been with orchard since January of last year)
    -inconsistent hours(some times 12 hours, off chance of getting 28 hours, most of the time around 20 though)
    -bad scheduling(sometimes working 3 days a week, some times working 7 days in a row, both with roughly the same amount of hours)
    -meetings always push the trickle down agenda. if we do better that means more hours and more pay for everyone, but it never really happens.
    -register computers are borderline ancient technology, sometimes making it extremely difficult to keep the customer happy.
    -no real delivery system in place, a 3rd party one can be used but they deliver once a week, its very expensive, and it takes about a half an hour just to get it all setup(mostly due to the slowness of the computers)
    -constant feeling of my work is unappreciated

My experience started out fine, but got worse with time

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThey are usually flexible with scheduling

ConsEmployees are simply treated like labor

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need better training & should have better care towards employees at all levels

Sixteen years of employment, closed my store and laid me off.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood working conditions, generally good store level management, generally good work life balance.

ConsUpper Management very closed minded to the needs of the store. They have their thoughts and tha'st all there is.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your ears to the needs of the stores...they are the ones that pay your excessive salaries.

Like others said, company has great potential.

ProsVery flexible, you get to work with really knowledgeable and great people. Great management.

ConsYou barely get any product knowledge, you have to learn everything on the fly (which is good in some ways). Pay is low compared to big chained hardware stores. No great bonus like what the others have based on how the store is doing. Bonus is basically get more hours if you reach budget, rather than bonus $ based on store performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

An awesome place for a retail career in hardware...

Management (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat staff, great customers, and a ingrained belief that customers are the most important. A company run by neighbors helping neighbors, not by a bunch of MBAs

ConsComing out of difficult times, change is alway scary, but change is better than the alternative. Work life balance is probably on the sideburner for a couple of years....

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing for greatness....

Employee for 9 years

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Clayton, CA

ProsThe store management can be great at times, will try the best to deliver for you. The acquisition by Lowes has shown great promise for the next three years. Nothing like under Sears Holdings. Recently completed a Career Growth Survey, just hope it works to deliver personal growth.

ConsLots of negativity by over half the line staff, they don't want to see the good coming from the Lowes purchase of the company. Whiners about the extra work now being required because we have shelves full of product and they can't send customers down the street. To Ace. Lack of respect for managers and staff that back them. Just a group of lazy paycheck collectors.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better wages comparable to Lowes for the employees who specialize and keep up on product line and industry changes. Deliver on the Career Growth, put the part time employees with great customer relations and sales skills to full time. Stop tying the store management team's hand on hours. Yes a $6,000,000 store can be run on 1200 hours a week, but imagine the results if every customer wqas helped add a few more hours and see better results. Looks like new CEO Richard Maltzberger is wanting to add 28 stores in the next three years and improve the older stores just don't hire from the outside for management, promote from within, every outside manager I've seen come to work has be terminated for everything from lying about experience to theft of high end products.

Worked for Orchard Supply Hardware? Contribute to the Community!