Oregon Department of Revenue

3.7

CEO

Enjoy job

I have been working at Oregon Department of Revenue

Pros

Interesting work & usually ethical in dealing with taxpayers.

Cons

Union negotiates all job related pay & benefits.

Get rid of bad managers.

Great place for temporary work.

Current Employee - Intern in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Intern in Salem, OR

I have been working at Oregon Department of Revenue

Pros

This place was very laid back and everyone I ever worked with or met was very kind. I loved that almost every other day people would bring in their home baked goods. There are many great benefits to working here including the fact that there are many cool places within walking distance. I wasn't there long enough to know more.

Cons

This place is the complete opposite of a private competitive organization. This place can be a bit too laid back depending on your demeanor. If you want a place to hide all day that has good pay and benefits then this is definitely the place for you. I must disclose that I wasn't there during tax season, so maybe I was just there during a down time. Parking for people in all of the capital buildings is very expensive. Many people are dropped off.

Senior management comes up with good ideas but those ideas can easily go by the way side by the fact that so many things in most Departments of Revenue are dependent on politics and voting.

A goog place of learning

Current Employee - Research Analyst
    Current Employee - Research Analyst

I have been working at Oregon Department of Revenue

Pros

Before doing the job actually, I was expecting a typical government agency work environment in the DOR. But it was really opposite, very good working environment espeacially powered by IT. Seniors are really helpful to junior employees.

Cons

Sometimes, the scope of the work is not clearly outlined, therefore, an employee has to try to figure what should be done in the specific situation and what is the finest way the work should be done.

I believe managment may attract good people by offering flexible time schedule, providing specific work scope and being more open to the feedback from employees.