Oregon Department of Transportation

Updated June 11, 2014
Updated June 11, 2014
2.9

CEO

Lots of bureaucracy, but that's what you get with a state job. Kept me busy and pay was fair.

I worked at Oregon Department of Transportation part-time

Pros

The other employees were great to work with. Some were life-long state employees, but others really wanted to move things forward.

Cons

Bureaucracy - plane and simple. If you want to grow in your career and gain more responsibility, look in the private sector.

Not the government agency it used to be...

Current Employee - Manager  in  Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Salem, OR

I have been working at Oregon Department of Transportation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Steady work, some very talented people to work with. Transportation is interesting.

Cons

Lack of career growth paths. The agency is not as innovative as it used to be. Too much top-down command and control stifles innovation.

Get over yourselves and your petty power trips. Realize that you have talented people working for you. Find a way to encourage them and let them flourish!

Good place to work

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Salem, OR

I have been working at Oregon Department of Transportation

Pros

Great leadership from the top management

Cons

A bit slow on some projects

Keep up the good work

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work/life balance.... management needs improvement

Former Employee - Senior Inspector  in  Troutdale, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Inspector in Troutdale, OR

I worked at Oregon Department of Transportation

Pros

If you are in a union position, you get paid by the hour and also get time and a half for any hours worked over 8 in a day, not 40 in a week. As an inspector there is a lot of "down" time during the day. You can make quite a bit as an inspector if there is a lot of overtime available. One guy I knew of made 110 grand last year because of all the overtime.

Cons

The management is hard to read and doesn't communicate very much with their workers. Also I felt like I wasn't respected by most of the contractors on the job.

Communicate with your staff more openly.

State Employment Changing

I have been working at Oregon Department of Transportation

Pros

Great benefits package: generous vacation, sick and personal time; Employer-Paid health benefits with nominal employee contribution. Number of on-site training options to keep employees current.

Cons

The budget has led to continued down-sizing across agencies.
    There have been no raises in at least three years and mandatory furlough days result in a reduction in overall salary.

Employees deserve to know when changes that directly impact their job function are being considered. Subject Matter Experts should be included in the decision making process to make sure the desired changes are practical and realistic.

Diversity is for sucker!!!

I worked at Oregon Department of Transportation

Pros

-Work life balance
    -Challenge of assignment
    - Freedom to express yourselves (wearing whatever you like to work)
    - Great boss

Cons

98% of people working in my department were white approaching the retirement age
    These people seem to have a very limited view about minority and it showed.
    Rumors going around were that some of us (minority) got the jobs because of affirmative action and such. It's 2010 and we still have to "put up or shut up". Go figure!

Management don't have to give any special treatments to the non-white population. However, more works have to be done to bring some of the folks here to the 21st century.

Worked for Oregon Department of Transportation? Contribute to the Community!