Oregon Department of Transportation

Oregon Department of Transportation Reviews

Updated Jun 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lots of bureaucracy, but that's what you get with a state job. Kept me busy and pay was fair.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe other employees were great to work with. Some were life-long state employees, but others really wanted to move things forward.

ConsBureaucracy - plane and simple. If you want to grow in your career and gain more responsibility, look in the private sector.

Not the government agency it used to be...

Manager (Current Employee) Salem, OR

ProsSteady work, some very talented people to work with. Transportation is interesting.

ConsLack of career growth paths. The agency is not as innovative as it used to be. Too much top-down command and control stifles innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourselves and your petty power trips. Realize that you have talented people working for you. Find a way to encourage them and let them flourish!

Good place to work

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Salem, OR

ProsGreat leadership from the top management

ConsA bit slow on some projects

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work/life balance.... management needs improvement

Senior Inspector (Former Employee) Troutdale, OR

ProsIf you are in a union position, you get paid by the hour and also get time and a half for any hours worked over 8 in a day, not 40 in a week. As an inspector there is a lot of "down" time during the day. You can make quite a bit as an inspector if there is a lot of overtime available. One guy I knew of made 110 grand last year because of all the overtime.

ConsThe management is hard to read and doesn't communicate very much with their workers. Also I felt like I wasn't respected by most of the contractors on the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with your staff more openly.

State Employment Changing

ProsGreat benefits package: generous vacation, sick and personal time; Employer-Paid health benefits with nominal employee contribution. Number of on-site training options to keep employees current.

ConsThe budget has led to continued down-sizing across agencies.
    There have been no raises in at least three years and mandatory furlough days result in a reduction in overall salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees deserve to know when changes that directly impact their job function are being considered. Subject Matter Experts should be included in the decision making process to make sure the desired changes are practical and realistic.

Diversity is for sucker!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Work life balance
    -Challenge of assignment
    - Freedom to express yourselves (wearing whatever you like to work)
    - Great boss

Cons98% of people working in my department were white approaching the retirement age
    These people seem to have a very limited view about minority and it showed.
    Rumors going around were that some of us (minority) got the jobs because of affirmative action and such. It's 2010 and we still have to "put up or shut up". Go figure!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement don't have to give any special treatments to the non-white population. However, more works have to be done to bring some of the folks here to the 21st century.

Worked for Oregon Department of Transportation? Contribute to the Community!