Oregon Department of Transportation

Updated December 23, 2014
7 reviews filtered by
2.6
CEO

1. Lots of bureaucracy, but that's what you get with a state job. Kept me busy and pay was fair.

I worked at Oregon Department of Transportation part-time

Pros

The other employees were great to work with. Some were life-long state employees, but others really wanted to move things forward.

Cons

Bureaucracy - plane and simple. If you want to grow in your career and gain more responsibility, look in the private sector.

2. ODOT stifles drive, ambition, and discourages talented people from staying.

Former Employee - Program Manager in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Salem, OR

I worked at Oregon Department of Transportation

Pros

You are guaranteed a step increase every year, unless there is a pay freeze.
    The benefits are decent and work is stable.

Cons

You are guaranteed a step increase every year regardless of how you perform, unless there is a pay freeze. Also, you are required to take furlough days (the more you make the more you take - unless you are management, then you are exempt). So basically, you actually lose money working there when you calculate the pay for parking situation (if you work downtown).

Nothing gets done quickly. Everyone must chime in on every project and give a history lesson on why it didn't work in the past and how things are done now are the most effective way to do it. Change is a bad word. So is accountability and automation.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be willing to do the work to get rid of the dead weight to make this agency productive and a place where talented people actually want to work. Quit re-hiring retirees to do the same job they retired from. That's double-dipping. As a tax payer I do not want to pay their pension AND their temp salary. Plan ahead better.
    Stop hiring from within. The ideas are stale and the culture is toxic (good old boys club).

3. Not the government agency it used to be...

Current Employee - Manager in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Salem, OR

I have been working at Oregon Department of Transportation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steady work, some very talented people to work with. Transportation is interesting.

Cons

Lack of career growth paths. The agency is not as innovative as it used to be. Too much top-down command and control stifles innovation.

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves and your petty power trips. Realize that you have talented people working for you. Find a way to encourage them and let them flourish!

5. Good place to work

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Salem, OR

I have been working at Oregon Department of Transportation

Pros

Great leadership from the top management

Cons

A bit slow on some projects

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

6. Great work/life balance.... management needs improvement

Former Employee - Senior Inspector in Troutdale, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Inspector in Troutdale, OR

I worked at Oregon Department of Transportation

Pros

If you are in a union position, you get paid by the hour and also get time and a half for any hours worked over 8 in a day, not 40 in a week. As an inspector there is a lot of "down" time during the day. You can make quite a bit as an inspector if there is a lot of overtime available. One guy I knew of made 110 grand last year because of all the overtime.

Cons

The management is hard to read and doesn't communicate very much with their workers. Also I felt like I wasn't respected by most of the contractors on the job.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your staff more openly.

7. State Employment Changing

I have been working at Oregon Department of Transportation

Pros

Great benefits package: generous vacation, sick and personal time; Employer-Paid health benefits with nominal employee contribution. Number of on-site training options to keep employees current.

Cons

The budget has led to continued down-sizing across agencies.
    There have been no raises in at least three years and mandatory furlough days result in a reduction in overall salary.

Advice to Management

Employees deserve to know when changes that directly impact their job function are being considered. Subject Matter Experts should be included in the decision making process to make sure the desired changes are practical and realistic.

8. Diversity is for sucker!!!

I worked at Oregon Department of Transportation

Pros

-Work life balance
    -Challenge of assignment
    - Freedom to express yourselves (wearing whatever you like to work)
    - Great boss

Cons

98% of people working in my department were white approaching the retirement age
    These people seem to have a very limited view about minority and it showed.
    Rumors going around were that some of us (minority) got the jobs because of affirmative action and such. It's 2010 and we still have to "put up or shut up". Go figure!

Advice to Management

Management don't have to give any special treatments to the non-white population. However, more works have to be done to bring some of the folks here to the 21st century.