Oregon Zoo Reviews

Tony Vecchio

Wonderful coworkers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Oregon Zoo as an intern (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were wonderful. I worked there for five years and am still in contact with the majority of the people I met. On one of your training days you get to go behind the scenes at one of the exhibits. I went to elephants, other people saw the giraffes and rhinos.

Cons

Five years and some of my supervisors didn't remember my name. You are in charge of making sure that you get your break because the supervisors and managers never seemed to check if you did or not.

Sexual abuse that is ignored by management

Former Employee - Admissions
    Former Employee - Admissions

I worked at Oregon Zoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun friends, get to know the animals, admission to special events, great people watching!
    Awesome warm costs in winter.
    Variety of jobs. Different every day.

Cons

Awful commute! Can't park there during summer months and they don't pay for max tickets. Shuttle vans/bus makes you late for work even tho you get there an hour before your shift.
    Creepy boss who on many occassions verbally/ sexually harassed my friend(s). Admission management looked the other way and fired the people who spoke out. And he still works there!
    Cold in winter. If you make the cut after the summer season that is.
    No drug testing or background checks = lots of questionable coworkers. Like, don't walk me to my car questionable...

Not worth the fight.... it was fun while it lasted.

Poor pay. Fun if you like standing in the rain or sub-freezing weather for hours

Former Employee - Guest Services in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Guest Services in Portland, OR

I worked at Oregon Zoo part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice employees, free zoo admission, working outside during nice weather, probably a good job for retirees, the animals, free soda

Cons

VERY bad pay- slightly above minimum. No benefits. Considered part-time/seasonal which translates to not enough hours and no benefits. Iffy schedule. $50-$200 bi-weekly paychecks...not enough to live on. Amazing amount of rude children and parents coming to the zoo!

More pay and benefits would be nice. Staying at poverty level and coming home drenched from rain or freezing is just not worth it. While we were sitting in the breakroom, someone found the salaries of management online (Government jobs are required to post salaries online) It's sad to compare what the foundation of the zoo and the ones who sit in comfortable offices make.

A superb place to work

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Portland, OR

I worked at Oregon Zoo

Pros

Delightful place where employees are ecstatic to be working. Senior management was always helpful; every colleague I encountered seemed committed to making the organization the best it could possibly be.

There may be lower compensation at OZ, but you get many intrinsic benefits -- nothing like working at a place where you often see thrilled, happy customers.

Cons

It is difficult to get a job at OZ since it is a highly desirable place to work. Therefore, much of the work available is seasonal, without benefits. If I had the opportunity to work at OZ full time, I would still be there.

Continue upgrading facilities... I believe our caretakers are first-class and can't wait for each of the animals to have an appropriate first-class facility.

Bleh

I worked at Oregon Zoo

Pros

Its a nice place to have on a resume, and it generally is a nice place to work, especially if you like to work with animals.

Cons

Working outside a lot leads to some bad times during the summer. Heat waves sometimes close down areas and you are "allowed" to leave but they don't like it.

Learn to treat people who work for you as humans, and remember what they have done for you. Impartial feedback is a good thing, let multiple people review someone rather than having one person do it, especially if the reviewer has it out for the reviewee.