Organic

www.organic.com

Organic Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014
Organic – New York – “Organic NY Office”

Organic – New York – “Organic NY Office”

Organic CEO David Schulman

David Schulman

Pros
  • Fun people, collaborative environment, Great Location, Good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• The 'fringe' bits like Beer Bash on Fridays are great (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There's no clear, across-the-board vision of what the company should do at the crossroads of "digital vs (in 3 reviews)

• You can count on at least 6 months to go by (and probably more like a year) before upper management will approve the req to re-fill that position (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Spiral

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat people and the remnants of the first dot com perks are nice. Only thing missing is foosball. Also, the location can't be beat.

ConsAlways talking about new work and projects that would reinvigorate the company, but the reality is that their business model doesn't work anymore. Too small to be cost effective, too big to be nimble.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to hire some new management! Current management team don't actually know how the sausage gets made, so they are ineffective in managing projects. The era of working employees into the ground is over. Clients are bringing all this work in house and snap up anyone who is effective and tired of Organic.

Great team, very interesting projects

Senior User Experience Designer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe team is very receptive and very helpful. There's a healthy respect for Interaction Design and UX Design which translates in the team allowing UX Designers to do their job. Project managers are very receptive of new ideas and there's a crave for novelty that transcends the visual, permeating into the useful and the usable.

ConsThe UX team is very structured and makes it seem that there's much effort on making wireframes beautiful, which in my opinion hinders the process and puts most of the attention where it should not be (should be on the project and its implementation and the relationship with other teams like visual and devs, not so much on wireframes themselves)

Advice to Senior ManagementBring UX sooner in the process.

Disorganized mess.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice office, and the people are sort of friendly. Free soda and coffee. Very cool facility.

ConsI was there for four days before finding out who I reported to. I had to use my own laptop instead of the PowerMac they provided because I was asked to basically work around the clock.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so aloof. Seriously, I had no clue who was in charge.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was wonderful until it wasn't. But it may yet be again.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSatisfying, beautiful work. Ability to travel based on project, which I was able to take advantage of. Mostly extremely friendly coworkers, willing to work and share. The sort of coworkers you stay friends with, because they hired very, very well, for the most part.

ConsNo promotions in sight, and no raises unless one threatens to leave. The C-level people were changed up, and the intangibles that made the place great went up in smoke. There is currently ageist myopia going around - and no, I'm not one of the aged, but I notice it, and it isn't right. Some people cost more because, frankly, they're worth more (and the ROI is better because they get it done faster) AND they teach us up and comers plenty.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand who you have better, and don't be afraid to pay them right. Don't ignore "auxiliary" disciplines - they are just as important as the flashier disciplines.

Great clients, fun people to work with

Art Director (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Awesome people
    - Fun environent

Cons- Lower than average pay scale
    - Corporate leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the creative be the lead, not dollars.

An Excellent Team of Very Smart People doing Crazy Smart things

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsOrganic's teams are largely incredibly intelligent, innovative, and wonderful to work with. On a day in/day out basis teams are close knit and work in effective groups. Client work is fairly distributed and for the most part there is balance. Atmosphere is largely upbeat and there's a palpable sense of excitement.

ConsCan sometimes be a bit repetitive in terms of what the work looks like. Within a highly competitive space turnover has been an issue. It can be difficult to innovate as many programs have solid boxes that can't be stepped out of. The location is suburban but appears to be in the middle of a non-stop traffic jam.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing 95% of what you're doing. I loved working at Organic - it was a great place to work. It was fun, it was quirky, it was innovative. Get people involved in pitching new business from across the organization. There are great minds throughout Organic and sometimes they're not getting their voice heard.

Organic can be the best in the business if given the right direction.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWonderful and friendly people to work with. The culture is great, the hours are reasonable, and office space is very different.

ConsNo clear communication at times on who handles what.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearer lines of communication

Grass is greener here

Creatively Happy (Current Employee) Troy, MI

ProsI've been working for here for over 6 months and it's so refreshing to work at a place that really cares about their staff. People are really nice, quality of like is great, no crazy long hours like other places. Yes occasionally we have to put in the hours but it's client work and it's the industry. Upper management is pretty down to earth and approachable. They make a real effort to keep us informed. Not like my last company where we were never told anything and the management team was a bunch of egomaniacs.

ConsThey definitely have a lot of dead wood that needs to be pitched. It's been frustrating to have my "tenured" cronies complain about everything yet they don't do any work. There seems to be many here. Some of these people should see the grass is always greener but your in one hell of a green pasture at Organic.

Advice to Senior ManagementPitch the dead wood it's killing your morale and their ungrateful jerks

Fantastic culture and top industry talent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsOrganic really encouraged development and provided ample opportunity for growth within the agency. The people were very personable and extremely talented. It was a culture of autonomy and there was a ton of flexibility in getting the work done.

ConsAs is the case with the industry overall, Organic had multiple layoffs during my time there; sometimes several within a calendar year.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere has been complete turnover in leadership over the last two years which has, from what I've heard, allowed for some very positive changes. No advice to give.

At a tipping point

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work life balance, interesting clients and awesome co-workers. Perks are pretty standard for the industry, but the employees made the most of the opportunities (e.g. Department sponsored events).

ConsPromotions and raises are very far and few between. In the past 6 months, I feel that morale has dropped to an all time low but management doesn't really seem to be doing anything about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on the Talent as the CEO had laid out as TWF (Talent, Work and Finances)...Right now it's more like WTF.

Worked for Organic? Contribute to the Community!