Organic

Updated December 13, 2014
3.2

Organic CEO David Schulman
David Schulman

Pros
  • Fun people, collaborative environment, Great Location, Good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• The 'fringe' bits like Beer Bash on Fridays are great (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There's no clear, across-the-board vision of what the company should do at the crossroads of "digital vs (in 3 reviews)

• You can count on at least 6 months to go by (and probably more like a year) before upper management will approve the req to re-fill that position (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Manager, business development

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Organic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No egos, good people, great culture

Cons

Limited resources from time to time. There's also not much variety in accounts to choose from.

Spiral

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Organic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and the remnants of the first dot com perks are nice. Only thing missing is foosball. Also, the location can't be beat.

Cons

Always talking about new work and projects that would reinvigorate the company, but the reality is that their business model doesn't work anymore. Too small to be cost effective, too big to be nimble.

Time to hire some new management! Current management team don't actually know how the sausage gets made, so they are ineffective in managing projects. The era of working employees into the ground is over. Clients are bringing all this work in house and snap up anyone who is effective and tired of Organic.

Great team, very interesting projects

Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Organic as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The team is very receptive and very helpful. There's a healthy respect for Interaction Design and UX Design which translates in the team allowing UX Designers to do their job. Project managers are very receptive of new ideas and there's a crave for novelty that transcends the visual, permeating into the useful and the usable.

Cons

The UX team is very structured and makes it seem that there's much effort on making wireframes beautiful, which in my opinion hinders the process and puts most of the attention where it should not be (should be on the project and its implementation and the relationship with other teams like visual and devs, not so much on wireframes themselves)

Bring UX sooner in the process.

Disorganized mess.

I worked at Organic as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Nice office, and the people are sort of friendly. Free soda and coffee. Very cool facility.

Cons

I was there for four days before finding out who I reported to. I had to use my own laptop instead of the PowerMac they provided because I was asked to basically work around the clock.

Don't be so aloof. Seriously, I had no clue who was in charge.

Was wonderful until it wasn't. But it may yet be again.

I worked at Organic

Pros

Satisfying, beautiful work. Ability to travel based on project, which I was able to take advantage of. Mostly extremely friendly coworkers, willing to work and share. The sort of coworkers you stay friends with, because they hired very, very well, for the most part.

Cons

No promotions in sight, and no raises unless one threatens to leave. The C-level people were changed up, and the intangibles that made the place great went up in smoke. There is currently ageist myopia going around - and no, I'm not one of the aged, but I notice it, and it isn't right. Some people cost more because, frankly, they're worth more (and the ROI is better because they get it done faster) AND they teach us up and comers plenty.

Understand who you have better, and don't be afraid to pay them right. Don't ignore "auxiliary" disciplines - they are just as important as the flashier disciplines.

Great clients, fun people to work with

Former Employee - Art Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Art Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Organic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Awesome people
    - Fun environent

Cons

- Lower than average pay scale
    - Corporate leadership

Let the creative be the lead, not dollars.

An Excellent Team of Very Smart People doing Crazy Smart things

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Organic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Organic's teams are largely incredibly intelligent, innovative, and wonderful to work with. On a day in/day out basis teams are close knit and work in effective groups. Client work is fairly distributed and for the most part there is balance. Atmosphere is largely upbeat and there's a palpable sense of excitement.

Cons

Can sometimes be a bit repetitive in terms of what the work looks like. Within a highly competitive space turnover has been an issue. It can be difficult to innovate as many programs have solid boxes that can't be stepped out of. The location is suburban but appears to be in the middle of a non-stop traffic jam.

Keep doing 95% of what you're doing. I loved working at Organic - it was a great place to work. It was fun, it was quirky, it was innovative. Get people involved in pitching new business from across the organization. There are great minds throughout Organic and sometimes they're not getting their voice heard.

Organic can be the best in the business if given the right direction.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Organic as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful and friendly people to work with. The culture is great, the hours are reasonable, and office space is very different.

Cons

No clear communication at times on who handles what.

Clearer lines of communication

Grass is greener here

Current Employee - Creatively Happy in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Creatively Happy in Troy, MI

I have been working at Organic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been working for here for over 6 months and it's so refreshing to work at a place that really cares about their staff. People are really nice, quality of like is great, no crazy long hours like other places. Yes occasionally we have to put in the hours but it's client work and it's the industry. Upper management is pretty down to earth and approachable. They make a real effort to keep us informed. Not like my last company where we were never told anything and the management team was a bunch of egomaniacs.

Cons

They definitely have a lot of dead wood that needs to be pitched. It's been frustrating to have my "tenured" cronies complain about everything yet they don't do any work. There seems to be many here. Some of these people should see the grass is always greener but your in one hell of a green pasture at Organic.

Pitch the dead wood it's killing your morale and their ungrateful jerks

Fantastic culture and top industry talent

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Organic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Organic really encouraged development and provided ample opportunity for growth within the agency. The people were very personable and extremely talented. It was a culture of autonomy and there was a ton of flexibility in getting the work done.

Cons

As is the case with the industry overall, Organic had multiple layoffs during my time there; sometimes several within a calendar year.

There has been complete turnover in leadership over the last two years which has, from what I've heard, allowed for some very positive changes. No advice to give.

Organic Photos