Organization of American States

Intern

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Organization of American States as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work.
    Very professional environment full of extremely interesting people.
    You learn from a very interdisciplinary perspective

Cons

Few job opportunities
    Sometimes the amount of work can be very overwhelming
    high pressure

Good addition to your resume

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Organization of American States full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- It was a great job right out of college, I attained some solid skills that have helped me get some great jobs.
    - My boss was amazing, although I've heard horror stories from coworkers in other departments about their supervisors.
    - The internship program is amazing (if you can afford to live in DC and work full-time without compensation of any kind). I learned a lot of wonderful things and, even better, met so many amazing people from across the world. It's a great way to network because many interns go on to do amazing things.

Cons

- You can't get hired unless you intern there first, and the internship is unpaid.
    - Because it relies mainly on donations from member states, the OAS has intense money issues. Since I left the organization, they've eliminated entire departments. The remaining employees are way overworked because they're not replacing the individuals who leave or are fired.
    - Almost all of their employees are hired as 1099 contractors with 3 month long contracts so they can terminate you at any time (mostly due to their money problems). This makes it stressful as every three months I had to job search because I didn't know if I would still have my job next week. One time they didn't tell me until 4 days before my last day that I was getting to stay another 3 months. When my job finally WAS eliminated due to lack of funding, I was actually relieved because at least whatever I got next would be stable.

- Manage your money better, put a cap on salaries and use the extra money to sufficiently staff your organization.

An international opportunity to broaden experience , but don't stake your career on it

Former Employee - Writer-Editor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Writer-Editor in Washington, DC

I worked at Organization of American States full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on the field and department, you can find great opportunities to tackle challenging assignments far above your pay grade. Because it's an international organization, you work with people from all over the Americas and you may even travel. Some of the staff are outstanding and dedicated. Aim for a 2-3 year term to build up your CV and contacts, and then move on.

Cons

Plenty of short-term contract work, but pay and benefits only fit for entry-level or non-US professionals looking for a chance to work in Washington. Extremely hard for an American to get on board. This is not the World Bank or IMF. The OAS is a dysfunctional organization caught between the political deadlock of 30-some countries and mediocre management that prizes survival over innovation and decent treatment of staff. Each year the option of a career track for staff declines. Getting hired as staff is essential to job security, and even then your supervisor or OAS management can take arbitrary actions. Also a kind of enclave environment cut off from US job market.

Where to begin? It's become a third-tier organization with only pockets of quality. Unless management can work out a long-term deal with the Latin American and Caribbean governments for survival, clear mission and better budget, this place will become a shell and perhaps even be dissolved.

Great place to work!

I worked at Organization of American States as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Diverse and engaging environment

Cons

- Sometimes the amount of work is overwhelming

Specialist

I have been working at Organization of American States full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you get a staff position, the benefist and salary are decent (if you are under a G4 visa). Depending on the Department, work schedules can be flexible at times.

Cons

Highly unprofessional work environment. I have been working here for over 10 years and I haven't seen a single hire that was based on professional reasons. More and more new hires are made through consultancies which do not guarantee any work stability. Scandals like work harassment are increasingly common and the Org does not provide any clarity on employees rights and regulations.

It would be great if the Management could sit down and reed the rules governing the Organization and implement them. Good work should be rewarded and heads of Department should work on motivating their teams instead of keeping them quiet.

Allowed me to see that this was not what I wanted to do

Former Employee - Political Affairs in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Political Affairs in Washington, DC

I worked at Organization of American States as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great working environment
    Location (blocks away from World Bank, IDB, IMF)
    Collaborations and projects with other governmental agencies

Cons

Slow paced
    Very bureaucratic
    Need to count with years of experience if looking for meaningful work
    Low budget, which means not so good salaries
    Limited influence in American affairs

Develop a bottom-up feedback system, people below have good and creative ideas to bring to the table

Good place to begin a career

Current Employee - Officer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Organization of American States full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great pay and benefits
    - Opportunity for travel
    - Opportunity to work directly with key actors in the region

Cons

- Little room for promotions or upward mobility
    - Organization is losing influence in the region
    - Organizational capacity for raising funds is dwindling

Prejudice around, sex discrimination, no equity job for woman and man

Current Employee - Administrative Officer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrative Officer in Washington, DC

Pros

Travel around the world, no control in perdiems, no control in experience and professional logistic, no control on international professional and purchasing bids.

Cons

waste money of the external ONG from Europe, too many bosses around, people walking and travel do nothing, too many double work, too much burocracy in HR, too many people with no experience only university and many degrees, no space for change of positions or move

change positions and move every 4 months, avoid travels, use internet, avoid meetings around the world with no results, control on bids, use inspector office, use control work no time on employees, change boss every one or two years, use age and time for control the management officers, check results with money.

marketing

I worked at Organization of American States as a contractor

Pros

Wonderful work / life balance

Cons

Not much advancement, however the atmosphere is enjoyable and he people wonderful to work with.

Take time to encourage growth in your employees to ensure they stagy longer than a couple of years.

Great experience in the nation's capital

I worked at Organization of American States as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You get to work with talented and passionate people from all over the world.
    OAS' location allows you to go to talks, workshops, and presentations all over DC.

Cons

Bureaucracy.
    Some interns get to do meaningful work, while others do not.

Organization of American States Photos