Orica Reviews

Ian K Smith

1. SAP Analyst

Current Employee - SAP Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - SAP Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Orica full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great work environment, good people, training opportunities are ok, good vacation or time-off policies.

Cons

Global work, so have to attend late night meetings or early morning meetings.

Retain good talent.

2. "It's Orica....what do you expect!"

I worked at Orica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay and 401K match that is offset by an unacceptable time-off policy, tuition reimbursement program that is routinely denied by local management for job related studies, comical yearly merit increases, inconsistent yearly performance bonuses, expensive health insurance, increased travel costs due to E470, and broken car windshields from unacceptable road conditions around the office.

Cons

Regional and global management are entirely disconnected; vision, ideas and objectives to sustain and move the business forward are not aligned. Structure, process and systems are nonexistent. Excessive amounts of global and regionally directed layoffs, turnover and demotions. Certain areas within the business may add value from a professional development perspective, other areas provide a paycheck and wasted time and effort due to managements inability to change their ways and support/listen to their employees.

Improve communication within the local office, align yourselves with corporate, and start investing in employee development rather than investing in non-value adding activities. Continued efforts to restructure the business has provided no value and eliminates all data transparency that is critical to run the business.

Tumultuous

I worked at Orica full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great global experience draws exceptional talent. Employees who demonstrate the willingness and ability to ascend will often be afforded the opportunity.

Cons

Unfortunately, most good talent leave once they realize that local management has no voice into global administration and employees are considered disposable. Orica practices "what not to do" regarding employees healthy work-life balance. Innovative thought leadership does not cascade down through the ranks.

5. Not a good place to work, orica driver

Former Employee - DRIVER/TECH in Gold Hill, NC
    Former Employee - DRIVER/TECH in Gold Hill, NC

I worked at Orica

Pros

You came home ever night.

Cons

Work you 15-16 hrs a day and the next day they would let you off to loose your overtime. Mgmt. was terrible. I worked a little over 10 years with no advancement and no recognition of the job I did.

Get better mgmt.

6. Was a great company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watkins, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watkins, CO

I have been working at Orica full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is a great group of people at the Watkins office. Trying hard to make the most of a challenging time.

Cons

Upper management micromanages people and this, along with other factors, contributes to very poor morale. Lots of conflicting goals between departments makes it hard to get things done.

7. Interesting business, good people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watkins, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watkins, CO

I worked at Orica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to work with some very smart interesting people. Working for a company headquartered in another country was a great experience too

Cons

Pay wasn't great. Little chance for advancement unless they are willing to move you to Melbourne Australia, Leaders we're prepared for roles so they didn't manage well.

Can we survive this CEO?

Current Employee - "manager" in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - "manager" in Denver, CO

I have been working at Orica full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best thing about Orica is the expertise and professionalism of the people. With the exception of this current CEO's tenure, benefits were great and the company had opportunities to take you wherever you had the guts to go. The products and services are best in the market and we have a privileged position in our peer group.

Cons

Under the new CEO, employees have been marginalized. Decisions are top down. Top leadership wants/ needs everything simple whether or not it reflects reality or makes sense. Strategy is non-existent or not communicated. The CEO is trying to run a complicated company like a mine rather than a sophisticated services and high-tech products company. Top management was hired from the outside and anyone with prior Orica experience demoted to fit an arbitrary level model. The rules change as leadership sees fit and so there is no stability, alignment, organization or motivation.

Hurry up and move on to the next CEO before we fall too much behind, lose too many good people and make unrecoverable mistakes in the market.

9. Too many internal changes to get any work done.

I have been working at Orica full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits for the position.

Cons

management and organizational changes present a constant changing work environment. Currently downsizing personnel and facilities.

CEO is reshaping company

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Orica full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Completely different reporting structure each 6 months makes for endless surprises
    Company should be completely ruined shortly

Cons

Trying to figure out why anyone would invest in this banana outfit
    Missing the day someone wakes up an fires CEO.

Is there a board of directors?

A Company in Decline

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Orica full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. I think the thing I miss most are my co-workers.

Cons

Management. Upper Management in Australia not in tune with the issues happening in the US. The new structure doesn't work and they are doing their best to force a square peg into a round hole.

When I started with Orica - it had a great culture. Employee focused and a desire to develop internal talent. That focus was lost ... changes being made to save money were to the detriment of the employees and to the business.

Ability to manage was stripped from the Managers and certain departments were becoming the focus of everyone's frustration and dislike for the new structure, procedures, etc.

I saw the way loyal employees were being treated and realized - I didn't want to be one of them. You should treat the pepole who have worked hard for you and proven themselves as well if not better then the new blood coming in the door.

As a result of the recent changes there are more people looking to make exits then wanting to work through and see if things can change.

Vacation policy is archaic for incoming experienced employees.