Oriental Trading Company

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sam S. Taylor

Worst work environment I've ever experienced

Warehouse Minion (Former Employee) La Vista, NE

Prosnone. it was the absolute worst time of my life.

Conspay is horrible. employees not treated as human beings. poor management.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the wage of these poor people so that they can actually make a living. I worked there for over a year and a half, and frankly, it was horrible. I dreaded coming to work. Am GRATEFUL to be gone. Oh, and those occasional employee meetings given by the CEO? A joke. The employees are cattle, or perhaps better, ants.

How is this company functioning?

Screen Printer - MC Ad Specialty Operator (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsWhen the work day or week was finally over which felt like an eternity a heavy burden was lifted from you which was the only good thing to come of it. It was a sense of looming despair like I have never felt before or since. Oh and if you like cheap useless junk they'd give you box loads of it. I guess they can't give that stuff away fast enough.

ConsInhuman expectations, your a number not a person, micro management, they don't care about their employees, its a sweat shop, and they take advantage of everyone including the special needs people working for them just to name a few things. Don't expect advancement either its more difficult to advance within the company than it is just coming in off the street.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp everything, it may be better at this point to just take it all down even the tarnished name and just start new than to fix this mess of a company. Your lucky to have employees and I don't know how you or places like this even do.

Great company to work for

ProsA great entrepreneurial environment. Strong executive leadership. As a Berkshire Hathaway Company, it has very bright future.

ConsThe biggest negative is that there is too much effort applied to being "team players" and not enough decision making. This produces an environment where there is sense of entitlement to play in someone else's "sandbox". Weak in communication between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many silos are not good, but you have to have some. Create an environment where teams respect each other to their jobs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

More Proof Mormons are No More Christian Than Anyone Else

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsVery few educated people in leadership roles beyond Taylor and a handful of assistants, making it theoretically possible to make an impact with previous global experience and an assertive personality. But you would be mistaken and extremely naive to think so.

ConsA complete lack of integrity in regards to their parasitic relationship with their own employees, sucking them dry until they finally quit or look for opportunities elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually involve yourself in the day to day affairs of the company at the warehouse and call center sites instead of isolating yourself in Ralston.

The executive staff do not appear to have a strategy for their organization.

ProsCasual business dress and in some areas there is a strong sense of teamwork make it a nice place to work.

ConsThe executive staff do not appear to have a long term strategy for the organization which leads to many projects that get abandoned after the major expenditures, but before the benefits of the project can be realized. The overall effect of this is a waste of resources and loss of morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementBegin to make decisions with less emotion and bias and listen to your employees.

Silos Built Up In IT Department

IT Department (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsNo good reason. Training is limited. Getting work done within other departments is limited.

ConsToo much red tape for a small company. Silos within IT Department.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in the ditches with the staff and really perform the work they perform. This will draw a better understanding how each function works together within one another.

Really great experience!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsFun place to work. My co-workers are great and really committed to supporting one another. My supervisor is really focused on providing me with growth opportunities.

ConsTechnology is old. We are upgrading things slowly but outside of the fulfillment center we use some dated things. IT Dept can also be frustrating to work with. I think they have so much on their plates that they can irritable and slow to respond

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in technology now that you have been purchased by Berkshire.

A company with no vision at all beyond short-term profits

Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsThe hiring process involves as little work as possible, they will hire anyone off the street.

ConsNo room for advancement. A dead-end as far as career opportunities and fulfilling advancement. If you are educated, avoid this company like the plague, you will save yourself the investment in time you sacrificed only to find out this company has no real vision or standards of professionalism beyond the corporate office.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to make smart decisions for the select few on top, continue to pay low and offer very little incentive for educated employees to stay on.

Assistant Category Buyer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

Proslaid back atmosphere, you can listen to your headphones all day, you can wear jeans everyday, good mix of people working there, energetic group

Conswork long hours (if salary employee), below average pay, senior management isn't willing to listen to your problems even though there is systems in place for us survey them frequently and discuss our issues to boost morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to all levels of employees-- and if you really want to know what is going on and why people are unhappy-- do not make them complain to their direct report-- you will not get an honest answer because nobody wants to discuss the issues you have about their boss directly to your boss.

Boring job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsMostly steady work. Lots of 'free' candy wink wink. They give you the extra junky junk they can't get rid of on holidays.

ConsTerrible management, just stay out of trouble and do as little as possible. They don't cut your hours or anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a REAL idea of what your employees do every day or shut up.

Worked for Oriental Trading Company? Contribute to the Community!