Oriental Trading Company

Updated September 7, 2014
Updated September 7, 2014
2.4

Sam S. Taylor

Pros
  • Upper management has improved dramatically in the past 13 months (in 3 reviews)

• It was a fairly fun place to work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The middle management doesn't care about you, they just want their bonus (in 4 reviews)

• poor management, no job security, lack of respect from management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Easy job, I was a seasonal worker, good company to work for.

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Omaha, NE

I worked at Oriental Trading Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not stressful, supervisors let you do your job and help when needed. Decent pay for what you do.

Cons

Seasonal work was okay, Im not sure I could do it full time. I was in the call center.

NA

Sales

Former Employee - National Account Representative in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - National Account Representative in Omaha, NE

I worked at Oriental Trading Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent training. Over all the pay was ok. It was a fairly fun place to work. The CEO was amazing, he really cared about employee engagement. The management did not micro manage.

Cons

My manager was a jerk and never came out of his office. If you interrupted him he was irritated that majority of the time. Most people work there for a long time so moving up in the company was next to impossible.

Awful

Former Employee - CSA in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - CSA in Omaha, NE

I worked at Oriental Trading Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

nothing positive to say about the company

Cons

poor management, no job security, lack of respect from management

Great work experience until the last 3 months I was there.

Former Employee - Personalization Operator in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Personalization Operator in Omaha, NE

I worked at Oriental Trading Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay. Good benefits. Awesome work and home balance. Full-Time. Very clickish.

Cons

This job is OK but it had issues. First off the technology is very old and it hardly gets fixed. You can go into a work area with a broken machine and it will stay that way for days to weeks at a time. The bonus program is another problem. In some areas it is easy to make bonus and is amazing but in others its nearly impossible to make. And when you don't make it be prepared to get coached and talked to. When your fast at your job it doesn't end there either. Often times they will want you to go faster and faster. Sometimes it is much like a sweatshop environment. In the area I was in it was amazing because I could keep up but some of the others could not which lead to jealousy. Since they post your speed score for everyone to see sometimes there is grumbling. Also this place is very clickish, people will act like they are your friends and even want to hang out with you outside of work, until you do something that they don't like. Often times you will be unaware of this fact but make no mistake about it no one will come to you to talk to you like an adult. They will talk about you behind your back to anyone who is willing to listen and then go to the managers over and over again and have there friends do the same. Not everyone is like this but there are a lot of childish people there so get ready for the High School drama crap. Some of the managers are amazing to deal with and were some of the nicest that I have ever met. And then you had the incompetent ones who wouldn't walk around, wouldn't try to learn the jobs that you were doing. Wouldn't really even say hello or act like you were a person. In the Summer the warehouse is ungodly hot and despite there being water coolers and such and maybe a fan or two you still want to pass out. The same goes for Winter, its so cold you freeze. Around christmas they acquired a company and decided to locate it in an Omaha location. If you were upstairs in PZ it didn't matter and you didn't have a choice you were sent down to the new place anyway. They had not used this part of the warehouse for a long time. Needless to say it was very cold and dusty and it was no wonder that people were getting sick. They also didn't think ahead to much as to what was going to happen and became really behind even after pulling people from other locations and hiring on temp workers. They were so behind at one point that they had people working 20 days in a row with no days off. The only day you got off was if you got sick and had to call in. Also they always talk about how your opinion matters. They want to hear about your opinions, but when you tell them anything they act like they are interested. They will even go so far as to tell you that they will look into it. Then they will wait weeks and weeks and nothing will ever get fixed nor improve. And don't get me started on all the boxes of plastic crap they want to give you all the time. Sometimes its fun to see what you will get but who really needs 50 or so hacky sacks and bouncy balls. Also everything has to be decided by the La Vista location no matter if your at another location. They will ask what you want at the Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners but it doesn't matter because if La Vista wants pizza be prepared to have pizza. That goes back to them not listening. I get that La Vista is bigger but when it comes down to it they need to have a location by location decision of what the people want. Then again they do not have to give you any sort of dinner. Nothing is constant either. One week they will tell you how something should be done and the next week they change it. If your lucky it will stay that way for a while but most times everything just goes back to the way it was a week or two later.

Listen to your workers. When something needs to be fixed or changed they know what they are talking about. If your going to make speed scores such a big deal thats fine but realize that not everyone can go 100 miles an hour. For the love of god crack down on the childish behavior that goes on there. And if you tell someone how to do something make it consistent from month to month. Stop making things so confusing. If you want something done in a certain way then do it but stop changing your minds daily or weekly.

work like the good little monkey you are...

Current Employee - Equipment Operator in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Equipment Operator in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Oriental Trading Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

VTO(voluntary time off) trust me working here will drive you crazy and any reason to get away is good-even if it is without pay; only happens during the slow seasons

Cons

considering I'm just a low level blue collar employee it's still not fair to be hired as an equipment operator and then being shipped off to different departments as needed or only stuck on certain piece of equipment(some equipment demand more physical labor than others)for months if not years at a time. I blame this on the management team... they treat you like a number and with the XP(incentive program)it is quite obvious. They are looking for max profits at the expense of employee morale and engagement. Also if you are close buddies(drinking smoking pals) with the management you are more likely to get the easy job or not get shipped off to different departments. Company was fine when it was just located in Omaha and there was no XP program... once that started and the La Vista center opened everything went downhill. Looking to get out ASAP. Entry level blue collars do not come here unless you like repetitive menial work with little pay(and it gets hot during the summer and cold during the winter). White collar jobs might have a different outlook; considering they sit in their climate controlled cubicles all day.

none; wouldn't make a difference

This was a crazy work experience

Former Employee - IT Professional in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Omaha, NE

I worked at Oriental Trading Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work day perks, and was willing to listen to new ideas

Cons

Worked for this company for less than a year. During that time the Company went thru 2 layoffs. I had positive reviews after 3 months and 6 months. They aggressively advertise and offer tuition reimbursement, and soon as it was eligible I requested it. Then was let go 2 weeks later. Within the next 18 months they went through Bankruptcy. I guess I should have known better then to request tuition reimbursment at the time they were having cash crunch

I started a month after the CEO Taylor came onboard. The quarterly meetings he mentioned no layoffs. No Bankruptcy... and you wonder where the employee engagement was

horrible work experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Oriental Trading Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

paid training, always open postions

Cons

horrible management, co-workers refuse to help you if you're new, not welcoming. If you aren't up to par there is no coaching or guidance, you just get terminated. Also most coworkers either had someone take their drug-test for them or cleared the test through some sort of magic trick so you will work with some interesting people.

Be careful who you hire and try to retain employees for longer than 2 months

How is this company functioning?

Former Employee - Screen Printer - MC Ad Specialty Operator in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Screen Printer - MC Ad Specialty Operator in Omaha, NE

I worked at Oriental Trading Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

When the work day or week was finally over which felt like an eternity a heavy burden was lifted from you which was the only good thing to come of it. It was a sense of looming despair like I have never felt before or since. Oh and if you like cheap useless junk they'd give you box loads of it. I guess they can't give that stuff away fast enough.

Cons

Inhuman expectations, your a number not a person, micro management, they don't care about their employees, its a sweat shop, and they take advantage of everyone including the special needs people working for them just to name a few things. Don't expect advancement either its more difficult to advance within the company than it is just coming in off the street.

Revamp everything, it may be better at this point to just take it all down even the tarnished name and just start new than to fix this mess of a company. Your lucky to have employees and I don't know how you or places like this even do.

More Proof Mormons are No More Christian Than Anyone Else

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Omaha, NE

I worked at Oriental Trading Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very few educated people in leadership roles beyond Taylor and a handful of assistants, making it theoretically possible to make an impact with previous global experience and an assertive personality. But you would be mistaken and extremely naive to think so.

Cons

A complete lack of integrity in regards to their parasitic relationship with their own employees, sucking them dry until they finally quit or look for opportunities elsewhere.

Actually involve yourself in the day to day affairs of the company at the warehouse and call center sites instead of isolating yourself in Ralston.

Silos Built Up In IT Department

Current Employee - IT Department in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - IT Department in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Oriental Trading Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No good reason. Training is limited. Getting work done within other departments is limited.

Cons

Too much red tape for a small company. Silos within IT Department.

Get in the ditches with the staff and really perform the work they perform. This will draw a better understanding how each function works together within one another.