Origins Natural Resources

Updated May 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lynne Greene

Working for Origins Natural Resources is great if you like product.

Guide (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGood product. Nicely built space.

ConsTypical retail hourly salary. If you need to make enough to live on, a part time job just is not going to cut it.

A company that tips the support versus pay scale drastically to support.

ProsGreat leaders, gratis, and training.

ConsLimited growth, it may take you several years to accomplish your career goals here. Keep in mid however that once you're on "the radar" the executive works feverishly to groom you for your next move.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more time to learn from the salespeople.

rigid sales techniques, unresponsive management

Sales Guide (Current Employee)

Prosdecent bonus for part-timers if the store meets monthly goals, gratis system for free products. Generous discount for company products.

Consmonthly goals dependent solely on last year's revenue, management was mostly unresponsive and manipulative, management would change their own goals to put more sales weight on the employees. These issues were brought up to the district manager multiple times and short phone calls/meetings were requested and subsequently ignored. Bonus dependent on store success, not individual. The company conducts personality tests prior to employment (good), uses those metrics as reasons against promotion, but does not utilize the results to create higher quality performance in the workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse those expensive personality tests for a purpose. Stop using your sales technique as a hard script. When a store has high turnover and employees continue to request meetings with the DM about questionable leadership, at least acknowledge them or give them a few minutes to explain. Allow employees to submit their reason for quitting without being watched by their managers. Corporate culture is stifling, extremely hierarchical, and not a good environment for those who want development and relatable training.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Initially a very positive experience, but disappointing after upper management changes

Retail Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsSenior executive management is of great quality, as are the products. Client interactions are satisfying because you have the opportunity to make sales while truly helping people address problems that affect how they feel about themselves. Always new material to learn and new products to try.

ConsShifts in upper field management coincided with decline in retail sales and contributed to a stressful culture and an unfortunate disconnect between how field managers know to run the business and what upper management believes to be effective. The constant shifting of blame to the store level for poor performance and an apparent refusal to recognize obvious issues or to attempt creative solutions disappointed me and my peers, as did the culture of hiring externally for executive positions rather than considering qualified internal candidates.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior executive management in the home office should pay extremely close attention to the feedback coming out of retail stores and should encourage feedback to be given. I would also suggest that the company not be as keen to hire externally when it has the opportunity to grow viable internal candidates who already understand the business and the client base.

Nice place to work

Key Holder (Current Employee) Natick, MA

ProsThe job is fun and simple and the brand sells very nice products, making them easy to sell to all customers.

ConsSome days can be very slow, with only a few customers coming in. There are a lot of product descriptions to memorize.

Best job ever...

Keyholder (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSome pros were the culture of the company, the environment with co-workers and clients felt like family. I enjoyed meeting new people. There were several resources available to gain product knowledge and career development.

ConsI did not like cold calling clients I did no know, however mini facials made it easier to entice people into the store. And it sometimes help sales

Overall fulfilling yet frustrating.

Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGreat benefits
    previously excellent training
    Amazing products and mission

ConsHorrible pay
    Education was cut
    Unnecessary competition with online store
    Some decisions in corporate do not make sense

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to you sales guides they have great insight to the company and deserve better education to represent the brand wholey

Operations Manager

Operations Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFrom the beginning I thought it was a fantastic job and company. We were located in NYC so my store received a lot of visits from corporate. Overall I was very satisfied with how I was trained, the store location and quality of employees that were hired. I asked for a raise and received it no problem so it troubles me to see so many people complaining about pay rate in these reviews. You can't expect to get what you don't ask for. Annual raises for retail are never significant.

My DM and RM were the best people! Truly acknowledged my talents and let me expand outside of the store. I can't express how lovely they were. Generally, there is great deal of fear and stress involved when you know you're getting a visit, but it was never that case at this company.

The discounts were pretty great for all estee lauder companies as were the corporate memberships to museums were definitely worthwhile.

I also loved the time they spent in training employees on new products.

The attempts at being earth conscious was nice with their recycling program and tree planting.

ConsNothing major. I wish there had been more opportunities for advancement into corporate, but I also should have voiced it and made my own efforts in finding internships or positions within corporate as there was no where else for me to move to besides SM level.

My particular position became rather routine for me and easy, which is where my DM and RM saw opportunity for me to grow in training management. I would have appreciated more guidance on where to go from there and more offers of challenges to keep me growing within the company.

I would have appreciated more information about the recycling program and bigger efforts in changing the plastic and paper packaging if it is such a concern for the company to be earth friendly.

Ultimately I left due to personal differences between myself and the SM. I did not leave because of the company itself.

Great job to have if your in college

Sales (Former Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros- Gratis
    - Generous employee discount

Cons- Store management lacks professionalism
    - No educational training
    - You don't make your numbers for 2 consecutive months, they hand you your walking papers
    - Impossible to actually take vacation time

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain managers to handle employees in a professional manner, hire educated managers, train your employees properly

Great products, great District Managers, weak vision starting in 2010.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe District Managers and Regionals have always been thoughtful, hard working people. The products are spectacular, and the customer service is excellent. The benefits are great.

ConsOnce the company began going towards nothing but skincare, the vision started to die. We lost valuable clients who loved our body lines. While skincare is definitely a loyalty item, it weakened the company by losing clients and lessened the need for store overheads. Why not put them all to department stores?

Worked for Origins Natural Resources? Contribute to the Community!