Origins

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
3.5

Lynne Greene

Unique people, quality product, and pleasant environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Origins part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unique people, quality product, and pleasant environment to work in. The commission made could be really good. I typically worked alone or with one other person, so never had to compete for sales and my customers knew when I would be working. Gratis was a perk. Our training events were always enjoyable. It was really easy selling the product because they were so good. Great people that I had met while working for Origins.

Cons

Hourly wage could improve. Not a reliable source of income. Opportunities for growth within the company. I left after graduating from university for a better paying position at a law firm ( that I hated). I am not a fan of corporate culture, but I do prefer working in a small boutique/organization setting. A lot of turn over with employees. It seemed that I had stuck around the longest during my 3 years working there part-time.

Opportunities for growth outside of counter sales. I held the lead in sales in our region for a number of years and never received recognition. Real discussions on growth within the company need to happen so that you keep good employees that value your mission in the company. I was young and overlooked. I have now gone on to achieve much more, but still think about my days at Origins.

Some good and some not so good

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Origins part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great discount, 40% off for Origins, Aveda, MAC, Jo Malone
    Products are great and actually works
    Compensation was competitive
    Store Manager was nice and very accommodating
    Great store and looks very clean and modern

Cons

Unattainable sales goals for part time employees
    Full Time sales associates would sometimes take your sales

Because there is individual sales goals the environment has become really competitive and employees are becoming like used salesmen. Customers are turned off by the pushiness.

great experience

I have been working at Origins part-time

Pros

learn about natural skin care

Cons

performing facials is not my thing

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at Origins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Grreat company and leadership. Good benefits and people, excellent training for employees, standard time off for managers

Cons

As with any job the politics are not the best but better than most and they do follow thier open door policy.

Watch your Sales and Education Executives closer, they don't follow through and hide behind blaming the hard workiners in the store.

Working for Origins Natural Resources is great if you like product.

Former Employee - Guide in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Guide in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Origins part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good product. Nicely built space.

Cons

Typical retail hourly salary. If you need to make enough to live on, a part time job just is not going to cut it.

Loved my jb

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Origins full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The satisfaction of helping people see themselves more beautiful or handsome, Being the partner in their confidence

Cons

Worklife Balance, lack of recognition

Let the value you have be more than lip service

Great co workers, low pay

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Origins full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great experience in the beauty business

Cons

Crazy management, low pay, disorganized

Build better morale and team culture

A company that tips the support versus pay scale drastically to support.

I have been working at Origins

Pros

Great leaders, gratis, and training.

Cons

Limited growth, it may take you several years to accomplish your career goals here. Keep in mid however that once you're on "the radar" the executive works feverishly to groom you for your next move.

Take more time to learn from the salespeople.

rigid sales techniques, unresponsive management

Current Employee - Sales Guide
    Current Employee - Sales Guide

I have been working at Origins part-time

Pros

decent bonus for part-timers if the store meets monthly goals, gratis system for free products. Generous discount for company products.

Cons

monthly goals dependent solely on last year's revenue, management was mostly unresponsive and manipulative, management would change their own goals to put more sales weight on the employees. These issues were brought up to the district manager multiple times and short phone calls/meetings were requested and subsequently ignored. Bonus dependent on store success, not individual. The company conducts personality tests prior to employment (good), uses those metrics as reasons against promotion, but does not utilize the results to create higher quality performance in the workplace.

Use those expensive personality tests for a purpose. Stop using your sales technique as a hard script. When a store has high turnover and employees continue to request meetings with the DM about questionable leadership, at least acknowledge them or give them a few minutes to explain. Allow employees to submit their reason for quitting without being watched by their managers. Corporate culture is stifling, extremely hierarchical, and not a good environment for those who want development and relatable training.

Initially a very positive experience, but disappointing after upper management changes

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager

I worked at Origins full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Senior executive management is of great quality, as are the products. Client interactions are satisfying because you have the opportunity to make sales while truly helping people address problems that affect how they feel about themselves. Always new material to learn and new products to try.

Cons

Shifts in upper field management coincided with decline in retail sales and contributed to a stressful culture and an unfortunate disconnect between how field managers know to run the business and what upper management believes to be effective. The constant shifting of blame to the store level for poor performance and an apparent refusal to recognize obvious issues or to attempt creative solutions disappointed me and my peers, as did the culture of hiring externally for executive positions rather than considering qualified internal candidates.

Senior executive management in the home office should pay extremely close attention to the feedback coming out of retail stores and should encourage feedback to be given. I would also suggest that the company not be as keen to hire externally when it has the opportunity to grow viable internal candidates who already understand the business and the client base.