Orion Health Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
66 reviews filtered by
Orion Health CEO Ian McCrae
Ian McCrae

Pros
  • It is a great feeling to work on projects that make a difference in people's lives (in 6 reviews)

• Complete freedom to work from home whenever I need (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • This is a New Zealand company that is focused on promoting New Zealanders and (in 7 reviews)

• Senior management covers this up and blatantly lies to the customers (in 5 reviews)

1. Gotten Far Far Better

Current Employee - : -D in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - : -D in Boston, MA

I have been working at Orion Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Parking, environment, culture, teams. Work from home as is reasonable. Good salaries. Great culture. Newer management really turning things around. Headcounts are up.High turnover early in the year has settled down, People are happier.

Cons

"OK" medical benefits - 80/20 plan with high deductibles. High turnover early in 2014. Disconnect between Project managers and their reports.

Public transportation options. More US executives.

I'd give negative stars if I could

Former Employee - Professional Services
    Former Employee - Professional Services

I worked at Orion Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not too many that I can think of. Most of the People on the floor are hard working and care about doing a good job

Cons

The ELT does not care about their staff. Everything is NZ centric. There is absolutely 0 communication from executive leadership, the Professional Services VP from the central region only cares about the resources that he has hired everyone else is expendable. They hardly signed any new work in the US and every project is in jeopardy.

Believe all the negative reviews they are 100% factual. If you are going to work here don't plan on staying more than 1 year, you'll either go crazy or be laid off.

Care about your employees and provide some real leadership instead of finger pointing

Incompetent senior leadership, struggling product line, vaporware

I have been working at Orion Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Talented, hard-working and good people are trying to do the right thing. They are regularly blocked by Orion management.

Cons

So much potential - wasted. Management will talk and talk and talk. Nothing changes. The same approaches are applied and fail. Management operates in a vacuum and it must be an echo-chamber in the senior management meetings. The CEO is highly intelligent but is incompetent when it comes to running the company that Orion has become. If you disagree with him you are gone. I have spoken with him and it is impossible to get him to focus. His speeches are a disaster. Senior management positions and roles change regularly. I have truly wasted my time here and it is my worst experience to date.

Please do look critically at the positive reviews posted here, especially if it is from Scottsdale (they were likely asked to post positive reviews). The HIE customers are highly dissatisfied with good reason. Orion is moving to new product lines that are, in my opinion, vaporware.

Senior Technical people have left and will continue to leave. The entire US focus is on Scottsdale. The other regions have been abandoned and all new job postings are in Scottsdale. Orion has abandoned the other offices and is putting all their eggs in the Scottsdale basket.

Come down from the Ivory Tower and listen to your people. Show up to meetings with your line managers. Listen to your people - they really do know more than you.

Worst job experience of my life

Former Employee - Professional Services Group
    Former Employee - Professional Services Group

I worked at Orion Health

Pros

Talented and hard-working coworkers are trying to do right by the customers, but are foiled by Orion management at every turn.

Cons

Incompetent leadership that gets fired every few months while the New Zealand executives sit in their ivory towers and change direction at the latest whim of the CEO. If you hold people accountable for doing their jobs and are vocal about it, you will get fired! HR team don't care about the employees and don't follow through on complaints or issues. Do not join this company - life is too short to waste any time here.

Do everyone a favor - retreat to your little island of New Zealand and get out of the USA. You're in over your heads here and are screwing lots of staff and customers along the way.

All the good reviews are fake

I have been working at Orion Health

Pros

food, parking, food, parking, food. had to enter at least 5 words to submit

Cons

Management, salaries, gossip, sales promise clients so much when staff is not enough to deliver. Products always fail, downtime.

GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER! Management does not make you dictator or superior to anyone.

Management in US - troubling, bumbing individuals....

I have been working at Orion Health

Pros

Others have identified them as lost souls as well.....I seriously cant think of ONE! Troubled to find 20 works here to fill the space!

Cons

talk, talk, talk until they are blue in the face about how good they are doing YET you cant find a solid reference site in the US! You will be asked to go to New Zealand or Canada and told "it is just the same". Sr Sales leadership in Partnerships and NA in the US will talk circles around what the answer is....only for prospects to get frustrated and toss you out after months of work. The arrogance of the leadership in Partners and US Operations is quickly seen, yet tolerated by New Zealand....

Time to turn the page on these people, get a fresh new perspective of what is going on with our clients that cant go LIVE and the prospects who wont come your way...there is a reason for this! Rid yourself of the National Accts and now partners "Leadership" that is just giving your company a bad taste in the marketplace, open your eyes to what they are doing.....you have been warned!

NOC

I have been working at Orion Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent company, environment, team, management, and SUPER GREAT BENEFITS 100% you and family FREE!

Cons

None and dont foresee any

More training in general

Reader Beware

Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Orion Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are desperate and have no where else to turn, it may make sense to be here until you can find a fulfilling job.

Cons

You are probably seeing the reviews on this site as extremes - either over the top love or absolute loathing. I had a hard time figuring that out until I was recently in a meeting about recruitment and the specific issue of posts on Glassdoor was brought up as a concern. The folks from HR/recruiting said not to worry since we were executing a "flooding" strategy.

What's flooding, I asked?

Apparently it is the strategy of posting a large number of positive reviews on this site to 'offset' the honest reviews by employees who share a common (miserable) experience as an Orion employee. Yes, the company approaches employees and 'encourages' positive posts as a defensive strategy to cloud the truth. Sad but true.

Be honest. Tell the truth. Care about your employees and clients. In short change your whole management approach.

Incompetent and dishonest leadership, weak product line, no future

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Orion Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Low to mid-level staff are talented and hard-working. Rhapsody is a good product . Free coffee is good. Nice view to the outside.

Cons

Where do I start? Leadership from Principal Consultants on up are in way over their heads. They don't seem to have a clue about what they're doing. Communication is non-existent, as is career development or any sort of coaching and mentoring. They don't care about the staff and just throw people into roles and projects without any training. People are assigned to projects, then reassigned to whatever customer is screaming the loudest. Long-time customers are secondary to the latest customer that buys something from Orion. Predictably, staff turnover is very high.

SaaS operations is a complete mess. They are in breach of every hosting service contract they have and don't do basic things like back-ups, upgrades, security patches, etc. Customers are refusing to pay for services that they are not receiving. Senior management covers this up and blatantly lies to the customers.

Internal processes are so cumbersome that it can take weeks, even months, to get approval on the simplest things. If you've ever dealt with a third-world government, you get the idea. Clients are bewildered by the level of incompetence and are furious because their calls and emails are ignored by management. Implementation consultants and project managers are left facing the customers because management does not have the courage or integrity to tell customers the truth.

The only good product Orion has is Rhapsody. The HIE application stack and the other add-ons are very weak in terms of design and functionality. Virtually all development is done in New Zealand, who ignore the feedback coming in from the customers and the implementation teams. HIE sales have dropped off a cliff due to all of the unsatisfied customers.

Don't join this company... I'm leaving as soon as I can.

Stick to Rhapsody.

Great Leadership, Meaningful and Challenging Job, Rich Culture and Fun Environment

I have been working at Orion Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love working for a global company that has such a rich diversified culture. My trip to the corporate office in Auckland in May was fantastic, I met great teams and enjoyed the environment and culture of the New Zealand main office. We are all working on meaningful projects to tackle the global healthcare crisis. Our teams are creating and sustaining advanced technologies that are making communities healthier across the world. It is a great feeling to work on projects that make a difference in people's lives.

Dave Bennett, our Scottsdale leader, is bringing great expertise to the company and has proven record of successes in the industry. You can count on him to support initiatives.

We are also very well cared for with one of the best benefit package I have seen so far at no cost for me. I have a good base salary with bonus potential linked to company and personal performance. I saw internal promotion of talented people and our rapid growth generate a lot of opportunities to climb up. And to top it, the fridge is always full of good snacks and drinks, and we have the best coffee in the block.

Cons

We are experiencing the usual growth pains of a successful company going through a 30% annual growth rate for the past 5 years. We are recruiting heavily to fulfill our teams' need.

We could use better tools to facilitate collaboration and communication internally across all our locations around the globe.

The new leadership team you have put in place recently is excellent. Keep giving them support and resource and make sure all the Orion Health sites across the world reflect the great culture we have on the US west coast.