Orion Health

Updated January 21, 2015
3.3

Orion Health CEO Ian McCrae
Ian McCrae

Pros
  • It is a great feeling to work on projects that make a difference in people's lives (in 6 reviews)

• Complete freedom to work from home whenever I need (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • This is a New Zealand company that is focused on promoting New Zealanders and (in 7 reviews)

• Senior management covers this up and blatantly lies to the customers (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Gotten Far Far Better

Current Employee - : -D in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - : -D in Boston, MA

I have been working at Orion Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Parking, environment, culture, teams. Work from home as is reasonable. Good salaries. Great culture. Newer management really turning things around. Headcounts are up.High turnover early in the year has settled down, People are happier.

Cons

"OK" medical benefits - 80/20 plan with high deductibles. High turnover early in 2014. Disconnect between Project managers and their reports.

Public transportation options. More US executives.

Management in US - troubling, bumbing individuals....

I have been working at Orion Health

Pros

Others have identified them as lost souls as well.....I seriously cant think of ONE! Troubled to find 20 works here to fill the space!

Cons

talk, talk, talk until they are blue in the face about how good they are doing YET you cant find a solid reference site in the US! You will be asked to go to New Zealand or Canada and told "it is just the same". Sr Sales leadership in Partnerships and NA in the US will talk circles around what the answer is....only for prospects to get frustrated and toss you out after months of work. The arrogance of the leadership in Partners and US Operations is quickly seen, yet tolerated by New Zealand....

Time to turn the page on these people, get a fresh new perspective of what is going on with our clients that cant go LIVE and the prospects who wont come your way...there is a reason for this! Rid yourself of the National Accts and now partners "Leadership" that is just giving your company a bad taste in the marketplace, open your eyes to what they are doing.....you have been warned!

NOC

I have been working at Orion Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent company, environment, team, management, and SUPER GREAT BENEFITS 100% you and family FREE!

Cons

None and dont foresee any

More training in general

Reader Beware

Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Orion Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are desperate and have no where else to turn, it may make sense to be here until you can find a fulfilling job.

Cons

You are probably seeing the reviews on this site as extremes - either over the top love or absolute loathing. I had a hard time figuring that out until I was recently in a meeting about recruitment and the specific issue of posts on Glassdoor was brought up as a concern. The folks from HR/recruiting said not to worry since we were executing a "flooding" strategy.

What's flooding, I asked?

Apparently it is the strategy of posting a large number of positive reviews on this site to 'offset' the honest reviews by employees who share a common (miserable) experience as an Orion employee. Yes, the company approaches employees and 'encourages' positive posts as a defensive strategy to cloud the truth. Sad but true.

Be honest. Tell the truth. Care about your employees and clients. In short change your whole management approach.

Incompetent and dishonest leadership, weak product line, no future

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Orion Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Low to mid-level staff are talented and hard-working. Rhapsody is a good product . Free coffee is good. Nice view to the outside.

Cons

Where do I start? Leadership from Principal Consultants on up are in way over their heads. They don't seem to have a clue about what they're doing. Communication is non-existent, as is career development or any sort of coaching and mentoring. They don't care about the staff and just throw people into roles and projects without any training. People are assigned to projects, then reassigned to whatever customer is screaming the loudest. Long-time customers are secondary to the latest customer that buys something from Orion. Predictably, staff turnover is very high.

SaaS operations is a complete mess. They are in breach of every hosting service contract they have and don't do basic things like back-ups, upgrades, security patches, etc. Customers are refusing to pay for services that they are not receiving. Senior management covers this up and blatantly lies to the customers.

Internal processes are so cumbersome that it can take weeks, even months, to get approval on the simplest things. If you've ever dealt with a third-world government, you get the idea. Clients are bewildered by the level of incompetence and are furious because their calls and emails are ignored by management. Implementation consultants and project managers are left facing the customers because management does not have the courage or integrity to tell customers the truth.

The only good product Orion has is Rhapsody. The HIE application stack and the other add-ons are very weak in terms of design and functionality. Virtually all development is done in New Zealand, who ignore the feedback coming in from the customers and the implementation teams. HIE sales have dropped off a cliff due to all of the unsatisfied customers.

Don't join this company... I'm leaving as soon as I can.

Stick to Rhapsody.

Great Leadership, Meaningful and Challenging Job, Rich Culture and Fun Environment

I have been working at Orion Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love working for a global company that has such a rich diversified culture. My trip to the corporate office in Auckland in May was fantastic, I met great teams and enjoyed the environment and culture of the New Zealand main office. We are all working on meaningful projects to tackle the global healthcare crisis. Our teams are creating and sustaining advanced technologies that are making communities healthier across the world. It is a great feeling to work on projects that make a difference in people's lives.

Dave Bennett, our Scottsdale leader, is bringing great expertise to the company and has proven record of successes in the industry. You can count on him to support initiatives.

We are also very well cared for with one of the best benefit package I have seen so far at no cost for me. I have a good base salary with bonus potential linked to company and personal performance. I saw internal promotion of talented people and our rapid growth generate a lot of opportunities to climb up. And to top it, the fridge is always full of good snacks and drinks, and we have the best coffee in the block.

Cons

We are experiencing the usual growth pains of a successful company going through a 30% annual growth rate for the past 5 years. We are recruiting heavily to fulfill our teams' need.

We could use better tools to facilitate collaboration and communication internally across all our locations around the globe.

The new leadership team you have put in place recently is excellent. Keep giving them support and resource and make sure all the Orion Health sites across the world reflect the great culture we have on the US west coast.

So much talent, but no direction and too many hurdles brought on by leadership

I have been working at Orion Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are fantastic, at least in my experience. I couldn't possibly have a better relationship with my direct manager. Complete freedom to work from home whenever I need. Some of the people I've met here are without a doubt the smartest and most capable people I've met during my career. Free food in the kitchen. Made some good friends and really enjoy their company.

Cons

Onboarding and training are really bad. New employees get thrown to the wolves, and help is hard to come by because the best resources are overworked and unavailable. The internal documentation system and the internal 'academy' are pretty good but at the same time get outdated pretty quickly. Many employees seem to fly by the seat of their pants for as long as they can until something clicks or they leave.

Having said that, you can imagine the state of many of the projects. I don't personally know of one satisfied customer in the US. Every project seems to be on the brink of falling apart. Project managers are either really good or really bad. One project manager told me of an experience where he/she requested skilled resources for a project, the resources were approved, and then the resources were taken away. The PM responded by saying that we couldn't throw in unskilled resources at the risk of not delivering a quality product and was told that he/she would have to make it work. I've seen this resource try to run things in the best possible manner only to be stopped at every step of the way by those above him/her. On the other end of the spectrum, I had a PM on a project that was seemingly out of sight/out of mind. No project plan updates, no checking in to see how things were going, no relay of information and updates. It was probably the most stressful experience I've ever had as a member of a project team.
    TL;DR: the people that want to try to get things done the right way are not allowed to and will be met with negativity, and the people that go with the flow and do as little as possible will probably not hear anything from their superiors.

If you're in, say, Boston or Raleigh and the rest of the project team is in Nashville, or vice versa, you're going to have a bad time. In 2014 there is no reason why teams spread out geographically can't be on the same page and all be updated with the same information. But there is a definite problem here with people at one location receiving updated information and sharing it amongst themselves while forgetting about resources in other locations. We have too many tools available for this to be a thing. Maybe that's just my personal experience, along with the PM experience I shared above.

There seems to be a recent influx of leadership made up of a network of old colleagues from other companies. From what I've picked up, they want to come in and do things the way they did at their old companies. It's like a 'good-ol boy' network that wants to be the new sheriff in town. That's fine as long as the goal is to deliver a good product, not to count the revenue. I'm not sure that's the case.

This should be a layup. Orion should be building quality HIEs across the country. Rhapsody is a great tool and garners a lot of respect in the market.

You have so much talent to utilize. Allow for new employees to learn and gain ability by working with and shadowing experienced resources. Don't put together a project team of untested new talent - always put an experienced resource on the team to help.

Support project leadership. If you have a good PM, listen to him/her. If a team member at any level has hesitations, look into them. You can't possibly have this many projects in such a bad state. It seems to me that other countries are doing much better than the US.

Don't chase the dollar, chase a good product.

My experience at Orion is extremely positive.

I have been working at Orion Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The Scottsdale office has a creative environment, a collaborative spirit and professionalism that surpass most organizations. We have an incredible leader in Dave Bennett, a person that leads by example. He listens to and engages all the employees. He is someone that you can support because you know he will support you. He expects you to manage your work and be accountable.

Cons

During the transition phase to the new office, there are always growing pains. Dave Bennett is addressing any and all issues.

Please look at the culture and the character of Dave Bennett and try to replicate that through the organization. We are lucky here in Scottsdale.

Positive and challenging experience at the Scottsdale location!

I have been working at Orion Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working at Orion in Scottsdale has been a breath of fresh air!

My co-workers are extremely talented and we are doing a great job of holding each other accountable...without any ego. There is an incredible amount of work to be completed and we are all excited to be part of this mission...and it shows! No one is breathing down our necks micro-managing us...instead...we hold great respect for Dave Bennett and, as a team, are doing what it takes to not let him down!

On top this fantastic "teaming" environment, work-life balance is practiced, the facilities are fabulous, and the location in north Scottsdale couldn't get any better. Additionally, the pay is super and the benefits are unheard of! Not many companies are paying 100% of benefits these days, let alone even offering a 401k plan...both of which Orion does!

It just doesn't get any better than Orion and I'm so grateful I've found a company that I can see myself working at for the rest of my career. I haven't been able to say that in years!

Cons

Honestly, I can't name a con! If you enjoy going to work every day and not doing much work or hate wearing more than one hat in any given day...this might not be the place for you.

Please keep doing what you are doing and help celebrate our successes in Scottsdale!

Opportunity knocks

I have been working at Orion Health full-time

Pros

Opportunity is a calling for those that want it.

Cons

Team to team communication is poor; Very silo.

Sales should not run the show. Services is not the be all end all. Allow room for technical growth, this is a software company.