Orion International

Updated January 5, 2015
Updated January 5, 2015
3.7

Mike Starich

Great company that takes care of its people while providing rewarding career opportunities to military veterans.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at Orion International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The recruiting industry is career most of us get into quite by accident. It is challenging, but extremely rewarding, especially when you find a company like Orion which takes pride in its Values: Excellence, Innovation, Commitment, Teamwork and Warrior Ethos. Every day we help companies to hire great talent - men and women who have served our country and proven themselves as leaders and technicians. We work very hard to provide our candidates with a variety of opportunities so that they can make a most informed transition and begin successful, long-term careers. Orion provides all of its employees with training, mentorship, professional development and a flexible teamwork environment which encourages creativity, innovation and personal success. Orion continues to grow as we expand our range of services for our customers, so there are definitely opportunities to grow to take on more responsibilities and leadership...it is really up to you to perform and achieve your goals.

Cons

Working for a smaller company is not for everyone. If you are looking for a large corporate structure and big company benefits, Orion may not be the place for you.

Recruiter - Career changing, satisfying work at it's finest.

Current Employee - Candidate Recruiter in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Candidate Recruiter in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Orion International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get to assist Veterans every day, while working in an atmosphere that fosters professional growth and teamwork. Nothing beats calling a candidate with a job offer, knowing that you are making a positive impact on not only their careers, but their lives as well. Being a recruiter with a true base salary allows us to operate within a realm of morale fortitude that our competitors don't have the luxury of operating within. I can help a candidate make a decision that's best for him/her, as opposed to feeling like I have to "hard close" them on an opportunity that benefits me/Orion.

Cons

There are not 8 days in the work week, nor more than 24hrs in a a day...which limits my ability to contribute even more to our Veterans. Seriously, there really isn't enough time in the day, which can be stressful at times; but not because it's forced, but more so because their is always more that can be accomplished.

A true work/life balance evaluation for the folks with "boots on the ground". We really do give 110% and run full throttle, to avoid burnout maybe look at retreat, time off rewards, group recreational type programs.

It is what you make of it. If you are good in sales, you will do well.

I worked at Orion International full-time

Pros

It is a creative environment where if you have a better way to do something, your idea is given a chance, able to make the job your own, friendly teams.

Cons

there is not enough training or support, the work environment is similar to a sales environment, unrealistic goals with limited support from management.

Spend more time training and offering more support to teams

Ethical company that does recruiting business the right way!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Orion International full-time

Pros

Orion is very focused around helping the best companies in America become better by hiring the best - America's Veterans. Orion is a unique recruiting company that both encourages a spirit of "developing your own business" while providing the resources, tools, and training to help people who want to work hard to be successful. Excellent work-life balance and excellent financial opportunities! Orion does business the right way, treats people with respect, and continues to pave the way for Veterans in the workplace!

Cons

I have no real complaints. Orion is a smaller company with a relatively flat structure, so people that come to work at Orion must understand that professional growth does not always come with a change in title. We work hard to become better at our craft and the results grow along with that. The longer I work at this job, the more job satisfaction that I have noticed!

My advice is to continue to lead, continue to fight to be the best! I believe in what we do and proud to tell people about the Orion story!

You can sure tell which reviews are written by upper management in an attempt to glass over reality. .. Pathetic

I worked at Orion International

Pros

Not to sure. I'll check back when i figure a few of them out. This 20 word minimum requirement is stupid.

Cons

Extremely slow moving. No coordination.of things slip between the cracks. There are much better recruiters out there. Roll the dice and take your chances

Jump start your sales career, get exposed to a variety of industries

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Orion International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Transitioning out of the military, Orion was a great place to start in sales. They offer very good compensation packages based on production output (and you can make great money right out of the gate). The exposure to a lot of different industries is a big plus, too - you quickly learn about a variety of jobs/companies/positions that are available in any field you can imagine.

Orion can be seen as an incubator on a lot of levels - you have metrics and targets to hit, but the way you hit those is up to you, so you have the opportunity to write your own check and (somewhat) be your own boss, as long as you're hitting the minimum thresholds. There are also opportunities for advancement within the organization - from management to entirely new business units.

The senior managers are solid - very strong business acumen, reliability and strategic thinking from the top down. The culture is consistently improving and moving in the right direction to push you to the next level.

Cons

As a sales position, the base salary is somewhat low, but the high side is uncapped - you're expected to hit targets and perform...if you don't hit those, it can be rough (but this is sales, after all). The technology used in the backend can be dated and there's sometimes a reluctance to adopt newer, more efficient technologies (but this is something that is ever-changing in a dynamic IT world).

Sometimes new employees may feel like they're on an island - it helps to reach out to interact with the rest of the office to build more synergy and feel like part of the family.

Senior managers need to share the vision and knowledge that they have with new employees - it would help them see the forest through the trees and drive retention higher.

Amazing career opportunity.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Orion International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Orion is a great company with an amazing culture. It has a strong sales training program and a teamwork approach to helping groom new AE's and Recruiters. It has the feeling of team that we enjoyed on active duty without the deployments. Hard work does pay off in terms of W2 and over time business relationships make cold calling less essential. The Strategic Accounts Program has made Orion more of a consulting firm with our clients and gives us an edge over others that work in this field. Travel can be balanced and it is not a "road warrior" job. Family considerations are always a focus for leadership. If you are performing well, flexibility is always available.

Cons

It is hard work and cold calling is a part of the job. Ensure sales is a career for you before considering.

Great improvements have been made in the past 5 years in terms of structuring the Strategic Accounts team and looking at new business opportunities such as temp to perm contracts. Things continue to go in the right direction.

Innovative Company, Great Culture

Current Employee - Account Executive in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Orion International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Innovative company that has multiple solutions to offer organizations in support of their goal to hire Veterans
    - Opportunity to assist Veterans in their transition into the coprorate sector.
    - Competitive Pay
    - Great office culture (all employees are Veterans)
    - Great work environment (all AE's and CR's in offices)
    - Opportunity to work with top level executives at different corporations
    - Company rewards hard work
    - Provides opportunity for good work/life balance

Cons

- There are natural challenges within the recruiting business that can lead to frustration.
    - Each division relies heavily on each other for success. Natural conflicts exist with this structure (ulitimately this structure does lead to the best success overall)

- Continue to be innovative in growing the business and work to create more opportunities for individual growth. Ensure we continue to be a solutions driven company.

unethical

I worked at Orion International

Pros

do what is necessary to make a buck which means will work to get someone a job as that is how they get paid

Cons

will say anything to get the person to accept the job

take an ethics class-the morals of this company come from top down

Good place to gain experience

Former Employee - Production Assistant
    Former Employee - Production Assistant

I worked at Orion International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun, casual work environment. You can help veterans. Pay for admins is good. Small company, so you can get to know everybody.

Cons

No room for advancement if you're not former military. Communication is not always the best. There can be a lot of placing the blame on somebody else instead of accepting responsibility.

Orion International Photos