Orion International
www.orioninternational.com Raleigh, NC 150 to 499 Employees

Orion International Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
Orion International – “Orion Hiring Conference”

Mike Starich

Amazing career opportunity.

Virginia Beach, VA

ProsOrion is a great company with an amazing culture. It has a strong sales training program and a teamwork approach to helping groom new AE's and Recruiters. It has the feeling of team that we enjoyed on active duty without the deployments. Hard work does pay off in terms of W2 and over time business relationships make cold calling less essential. The Strategic Accounts Program has made Orion more of a consulting firm with our clients and gives us an edge over others that work in this field. Travel can be balanced and it is not a "road warrior" job. Family considerations are always a focus for leadership. If you are performing well, flexibility is always available.

ConsIt is hard work and cold calling is a part of the job. Ensure sales is a career for you before considering.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat improvements have been made in the past 5 years in terms of structuring the Strategic Accounts team and looking at new business opportunities such as temp to perm contracts. Things continue to go in the right direction.

Innovative Company, Great Culture

Virginia Beach, VA

Pros- Innovative company that has multiple solutions to offer organizations in support of their goal to hire Veterans
    - Opportunity to assist Veterans in their transition into the coprorate sector.
    - Competitive Pay
    - Great office culture (all employees are Veterans)
    - Great work environment (all AE's and CR's in offices)
    - Opportunity to work with top level executives at different corporations
    - Company rewards hard work
    - Provides opportunity for good work/life balance

Cons- There are natural challenges within the recruiting business that can lead to frustration.
    - Each division relies heavily on each other for success. Natural conflicts exist with this structure (ulitimately this structure does lead to the best success overall)

Advice to Senior Management- Continue to be innovative in growing the business and work to create more opportunities for individual growth. Ensure we continue to be a solutions driven company.

unethical

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosdo what is necessary to make a buck which means will work to get someone a job as that is how they get paid

Conswill say anything to get the person to accept the job

Advice to Senior Managementtake an ethics class-the morals of this company come from top down

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to gain experience

Production Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsFun, casual work environment. You can help veterans. Pay for admins is good. Small company, so you can get to know everybody.

ConsNo room for advancement if you're not former military. Communication is not always the best. There can be a lot of placing the blame on somebody else instead of accepting responsibility.

Good people to work with and very reasonable hours.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHard to beat ratio of pay to hours worked. Good team environment and excellent place for a veteran to transition to/from.

ConsThe industry is very dependent on the economy, so you will see ups and downs.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Awesome place to work! Where else can get military folks great paying jobs with FORTUNE 500 companies?

Military Candidate Recruiter (Current Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsIf you want to make a difference in the post military careers of our transitioning professionals this is the place to work! Goals driven, strong team ethic and performance oriented! Love it!

ConsIf you are a 9 to 5 punch the clock type, this is NOT the place for you. Improvement is the bottom line. Results not excuses type of workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that your employees get the opportunities to grow professionally & personally.

Overall, my time at the company, about 2 years was a positive experience...

IT Consultant (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsOpportunities to contribute to different projects; ability to learn and acquire new technology skills

ConsPrimarily, the somewhat limited opportunity for career advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up more projects for your employees

Great place to make a difference and make a living.

Partner (Current Employee)

ProsI have worked at Orion for over 5 years now. When I first started, it took a while to truly understand the recruiting business and how to be effective. After pushing through that learning curve, I found that there is great potential to earn a living doing something that makes a difference in an individuals life. Our company provides great room for growth, but in a different way than larger companies. You can definitely hone your skills in recruiting / sales and increase your compensation, but you can also become a Partner within the company and move into higher level sales roles. Being a Partner is all what you make of it. You can be a leader and difference maker, truly shaping the future of our company.

Some bullet point pro's:
    - Our Mission to help veterans find a career.
    - Great earning potential.
    - Partner program.
    - Diverse products to sell.
    - A family culture. You know your co-workers and rely on them.

ConsThere can be stress at Orion, primarily caused by relationships. Since both Recruiters and Account Executives rely on each other to generate revenue, and thus personal compensation, those two parties often run into conflict. Each side wants to run 'their business" as they see fit, and that can often result in an AE feeling like his positions aren't important and a Recruiter feeling like he is wasting his time. This is conflict that many organizations face between their sales and operations teams.

Our benefits are not the best. The healthcare burden can be high on the employee and there is no 401k match. That said, this is not something that most AE's / CR's are concerned with long term, because the earning potential is high (thus a trade off).

If you want to grow, Orion can help that, but typically not into a management role. We are a flat organization, so growth potential is typically laterally into specialty roles and into the Partner ranks.

Bullets:
    - AE CR relationship needs to be watched closely
    - Benefits are not as strong as a large company.
    - Growth potential is there, but not a lot of opportunity for those with a strong desire to be a manager.
    - Everyone is focused on day to day operations, leaving very little time for next level training and process improvement / project development.

Advice to Senior Management- Look for new ways to help your employees improve, in particular through outside training.
    - Be realistic in your expectations of our capabilities.
    - Make Orion a fun place to work from the top down.

Production Assistant

Administration (Current Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

Prosif you are in the military or once served you can make some good money

Consif you have never been in the military you are treated like a minority, you will not advance because they do not let cilivians Recruit or be a Account Executive.

Advice to Senior Managementcut throat work environment and career network side recruitement is very poor

Dysfunctional Workplace Drama Predominate

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsBase Salary...Helping Military personnel find careers..

ConsHow many times have you worked with your boss in the field and you wish he/she had kept his/her mouth shut while meeting with a client? In the Orion workplace, your boss is more of an administrator than a leader. He may have the big title, but lacks the real substance to see and seize opportunities. Title is everything to most every one in management positions here.

Management at Orion do not take the time to refine skills. They are complacent and do not invest in themselves to be a more effective leader, mentor and coach. This type of boss believes has all of the answers and will survive the most uncertain, difficult times. Management at Orion believe they are irreplaceable and thus they lack the desire to reinvent themselves.

Management within Orion are master delegators and like to keep their hands clean of what can potentially expose their ineffectiveness.
    They live in a world of power, greed and distrust. They are selfish and one sided.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou got out of the military for a reason. Stop trying to relive your glory days on the battlefield or at West Point the Naval Academy etc. People need to be inspired and not looked down upon.

Worked for Orion International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Orion International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Orion International CEO Mike Starich. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by Orion International employees.