Orion Real Estate

Updated Apr 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kirk H. Tate

Love my job not my manager

Leasing Agent (Former Employee) Corpus Christi, TX

ProsLove my job, enjoy working with the public & making a difference in someone's life the company is great... Just needed a better property manager

ConsMy manager was lazy, she was always mean to me personally and would sit around on her cell all day & pass around jobs while we were busy, then she would always take resident files home ( which has socials and confidential info in them) so I don't believe they should really be in and out if the office! Worked there for over five years and was told when I finally did get a raise that the ONLY reason I got a raise was to make sure I made as much as the other people doing my job ( which some I had trained & all had been there was less than myself) and when corp would come they all knew so our property looked good for show and my manager would put on a fake face & speak of how wonderful we are??? Seriously? It does not show

Advice to Senior ManagementSurprise visits when you go out of town! Or send people to speak to managers & see how they are treated for real!

I have been working with Orion as an independent contractor for 4 years and they are a top notch company to work with.

Public Relations (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI have found everyone at Orion from top level management to entry level employees to be professional and easy to work with. As an outside contractor they are my favorite client to work with and are always open to new ideas. Although I am not a full time employee, they treat me as though I am a critical member of their team.

ConsI have yet to experience any negative aspect of working with Orion.

I couldn't wait to get out of there!

Property Accountant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe owners and executives (surprisingly) seemed to be genuinely nice people if a bit disconnected from what's happening in the day-to-day operations that kept the company running. The location of the office was really convenient and every month they have a catered lunch and birthday celebration for the corporate employees.

ConsI do think that Orion would be a good company to work at for certain people... I just wasn't one of those people. The accounting department if filled with people who have been working there and doing the same job for 10+ years and seem perfectly happy to continue doing that for the next 10. I am someone who wants to be challenged so that I can learn and grow and move forward in my career. After I started working there it became apparent that Orion was not the place that I was going to be able to do that.

Also, they seemed to spend a lot of time and energy trying to track and monitor their employees...at least this was true in the accounting department. They have a ridiculously strict dress code (for example no open toed shoes for the women), made even salaried employees clock in and out every day and if you happened to work 37 hours instead of 40 one particular week you would hear about it. Also, every internet site except for a handful were blocked. I realize that isn't unheard of in the business world but for me it was disconcerting to realize that they seem to have so little trust in their employees. Personally, I eventually became almost paranoid that someone was watching everything I did and it was impossible for me to relax and enjoy coming to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that upper management does a great job. Orion is a company that is growing quickly and had the potential to be a major player in the Houston real estate market. I was proud to tell people that I worked there. The problems that I had were with the mid-level managers that I reported to directly. There seemed to be a bit of a power trip going on there and a desire to keep the property accountants toeing the line. I think that if they could relax and have a little bit more trust in their employees that the work environment would improve a lot.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor Work Environment

Leasing Agent & Compliance (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Pros20% off rent & walk to work

ConsHorrible management. The owners really are sweet people but they have some real scumbag management that are all out for their own. People will lie about you and sabotage you for their own gain. If your lucky enough to have a good manager and supervisor you'll be ok... if not run.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook deeper into what is really going on inside your company...

Don't work for supervisor Ludy Urvina- she is horrible, and not very bright

ProsCorporate is great, seem very organized

ConsLudy is the supervisor for properties they take over from bank. She will offer you a position just long enough to clear any issues and terminate you at month's end. She also will contest your claim to Unemployment, claiming you quit instead of her firing you.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck supervisor practices. She was not a pleasant person to work for.

Worked for Orion Real Estate? Contribute to the Community!