Orion's Mind

1 Rating

SES Instructor

Current Employee - Instructor (SES Program) in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Instructor (SES Program) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orion's Mind part-time (more than an year)

Pros

$25/hour for SES After school tutoring; Small classroom size, Curriculum all ready in place and scripted/easy to follow, and allows adjustments to accommodate various learners

Cons

school after school program may not last longer than an hour so the pay may not make a substantial difference in monthly earnings

Lack of Communication

I have been working at Orion's Mind full-time

Pros

The idea of the job is great; working in schools and having the freedom to run tutoring programs the way you want to.

Cons

Pay is mediocre; false promises of bonuses and raises; lack of communication regarding anything and everything; insurance plans are too expensive

Start focusing on your employees; don't make false promises

Poor Communication and Over-promises

Former Employee - Instructor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Instructor in Denver, CO

I worked at Orion's Mind part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great concept - interactive learning and encouraging kids to love education is a wonderful pursuit. Even the curriculum is creative and well written (not to mention you don't have to design your own curriculum). All materials are supplied to you.

Cons

An absolute mess in terms of organization and communication. My individual experience as an Instructor was probably unique, but I do have notes about the general experience that most Instructors will go through below. I came on for the start of the winter semester to work as an after school Instructor with OM, and after about a week my manager met me to meet her at a charter school where they were conducting a special program in which they had the tutoring classes during the day and not after school. She communicated that there was no leadership or organization and that as a manager for OM, she had too many responsibilities with the after school programs to oversee this particular effort. This manager asked me to come on to lead the instructors and manage the program at this charter school. I was excited about the opportunity to come on full time as I have a good amount of teaching experience under my belt and liked the idea of leading a program for kids who really needed it. I said I would be happy to come on if I could see a job description and salary details beforehand. This manager said she would email them to me right away when she got back to her office. Two days went by, and I requested the job description again, and she said she was working on it. Another three days went by - I took the initiative to write up my own job description and salary proposal, sent it to her, and she said it looked great and she would get back to me. I never heard from her ever again, even after checking in with her several more times before giving up. She offered me a job because they were spread so thin and needed leadership, and then was too disorganized and frazzled to get back to me.

As a more general take on the experience as an Instructor with Orion's Mind, here's what happened with the rest of the team I started on. OM made it appear (verbally and in writing) that there would be 3-4 days of work a week in the application, interview, and training process. Most Instructors end up with one 3-hour session a week even though they're constantly spread too thin. When you're working part time, the difference between making $30/hr for 3 hours out of the week vs 12+ hours out of the week is enormous. After training, they wanted Instructors to start the next week and promised to send schedules out the next day, on a Sunday. They hired talent and then didn't get schedules out until the day before tutors were supposed to come teach their first lesson (so asked people to come in on a Friday on Thursday night). In addition, I was constantly being called 15 minutes - 1 hour before an after school session would start to fill in for someone who could not come. At the program itself, they were so disorganized they couldn't even keep track of which kids were showing up to the program and enforce attendance. I would not recommend falling for the scam of Orion's Mind.

This organization is based on a good premise but absolutely will not survive if they do not treat their tutors with the respect of being upfront about hours, staying organized enough to provide schedules with enough time, and keeping managers accountable for communicating with their employees and not overpromising every step of the way. After reading several similar reviews dating back to 2010, it seems like a deep seated upper level issue that has been going on for years and will not be fixed.

Challenging but rewarding experience; extremely well-run company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orion's Mind full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Overall I would highly recommend and take advantage of working for this team -- today, tomorrow, or the next day.

Professionally, the challenges and opportunity available at Orion's Mind is surprising but rewarding. The ability to tackle any problem with the right amount of motivations drives the corporate culture and individual progression. Some may find the open and flexible work model as difficult, but those seeking a truly transformative experience will not be disappointment. Expect to be challenged.

Culturally, the firm is one family, dedicated to one another and truly vested in the interest of the individual and their place in the company. It's a great opportunity to work with a motivated set of individuals, invested leadership time, and family-like cultural firm. Any and everyone is always willing to lend a helping hand.

From a leader perspective, the senior leadership provides the right amount of flexibility but challenges and guides at the appropriate level. You have to recognize up-front that you will be challenged to work outside your comfort zone, but the resulting skill-set you'll gain on the back-end will be well-worth the ride.

Cons

Despite the small company size, there are very few matters of redundancy or "waste" in the manner in which the company is run. Honestly.

If pushed to find an opportunity area, I would suggest that the leadership do more frequent one-on-one feedback sessions. Although done currently, a weekly feedback system or perhaps a formalized system for professional development could be worthwhile for the employees.

Keep the "small-company" and family feel strong as you expand -- it's a cornerstone to the firm.

Great place to grow, has its ups and downs.

Current Employee - Data Entry Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Data Entry Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orion's Mind part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you prove that you can do something well you will be given with more responsibilities
    Company culture is great, senior management knows how to keep employees happy
    Laid back and relaxed
    Senior management is easily approachable

Cons

I was working with a lot of people that did not seem to have it together and were not very professional but had different job titles than me so I can not speak to whether they were good at their jobs or not.
    Most employees are unorganized and technologically impaired to say the least, making my job difficult because I had to point out discrepancies in documents that were submitted (making me the bad guy).

There was also a lot of confusion on how long I would be working for and I would have liked a definite end date which I did not get until my last month

I was working with a couple people in my department that could not keep up accuracy standards, they seemed to cause more harm then good. It would have been better not to have those employees because we often found ourselves without enough work to go around.

PLEASE train your staff better on submitting documents(
    Staff could also benefit from learning better organizational techniques, maybe OM binders or folders?
    OM is in desperate need of employee reviews

Great place to work

Current Employee - Program Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orion's Mind full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility in doing work your own way, do some of it at home.
    Excellet team of people.
    Curriculum is fantastic and teachers love it.

Cons

Program manager and instructor jobs are seasonal and/or very part time.
    Have to attend weekly meetings in Chicago office most Fridays.

Keep up the good work.
    Please sell the curriculum to schools. it is awesome.

Good for some extra money

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orion's Mind part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay was above the average hourly wage

Cons

only a couple hours a week

offer some more hours to part timers

Growing quickly, but chaotic and not professional

Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orion's Mind

Pros

Great mission - provides after school tutoring programs with a multiple learning approach philosophy in public schools. Many very deciated employees.

Cons

Very chaotic environment; rapid growth and seasonal spikes are not planned for or managed effectively. Occasionally hazardous work environment (definitely not good). Management not cognizant of legal requirements for running a business that size. Confidentiality of sensitive information (both employees and the business) is neither respected or maintained. Funding is at the whim of local,state and federal organizations who can alter or withdraw fundsing at any times, making employment prospects very unpredictable.

Ask around with others currently or previously in a similar role; they may have had a very different experience there. It can be an incrediubly stressful environment with little to no structure and immediate expectations of success. If you operate well in that type of environment, this may be a viable option for you. It was not for me.

A small growing company that has made an entrance to the educational industry.

Former Employee - Program Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orion's Mind

Pros

Information is shared across all levels.
    Work hard/ Play hard enviroment.
    Friendly atmosphere.
    Potential for career advancement.

Cons

Compensation is determined by enrollment/attendance.
    Mandatory meetings (several per week).
    Peak times require more than 50 - 60 hours worked per week.

Due to the nature of the industry, managment must realize that school adminstrations are politically inclined and the numbers are often dependent on where adminstration would like to place students(i.e staff will pull/place students where they want to regardless of the ses "rules").

A major disappointment; although they succeeded in instilling confusion and doubt amongst there workforce.

I worked at Orion's Mind

Pros

ugh........i wish i had a few pros to draw upon from my time at Orions Mind, but there are none.

Cons

lack of structure,organization, direction
    constant doubt amongst management
    free flow of false information
    undermine the role of program managers

In all sincerity, pack up your bags and throw in the towel. You cannot continue on in other states without the proper research, funds, and a real acknowledgment of challenges that are ahead of you. Thus far you have proved you are incapable of doing so. You are doing a disservice to those who you hire and serve.