Orion's Mind

Orion's Mind Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Emily Paris

Challenging but rewarding experience; extremely well-run company

Chicago, IL

ProsOverall I would highly recommend and take advantage of working for this team -- today, tomorrow, or the next day.

Professionally, the challenges and opportunity available at Orion's Mind is surprising but rewarding. The ability to tackle any problem with the right amount of motivations drives the corporate culture and individual progression. Some may find the open and flexible work model as difficult, but those seeking a truly transformative experience will not be disappointment. Expect to be challenged.

Culturally, the firm is one family, dedicated to one another and truly vested in the interest of the individual and their place in the company. It's a great opportunity to work with a motivated set of individuals, invested leadership time, and family-like cultural firm. Any and everyone is always willing to lend a helping hand.

From a leader perspective, the senior leadership provides the right amount of flexibility but challenges and guides at the appropriate level. You have to recognize up-front that you will be challenged to work outside your comfort zone, but the resulting skill-set you'll gain on the back-end will be well-worth the ride.

ConsDespite the small company size, there are very few matters of redundancy or "waste" in the manner in which the company is run. Honestly.

If pushed to find an opportunity area, I would suggest that the leadership do more frequent one-on-one feedback sessions. Although done currently, a weekly feedback system or perhaps a formalized system for professional development could be worthwhile for the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the "small-company" and family feel strong as you expand -- it's a cornerstone to the firm.

Great place to grow, has its ups and downs.

Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsIf you prove that you can do something well you will be given with more responsibilities
    Company culture is great, senior management knows how to keep employees happy
    Laid back and relaxed
    Senior management is easily approachable

ConsI was working with a lot of people that did not seem to have it together and were not very professional but had different job titles than me so I can not speak to whether they were good at their jobs or not.
    Most employees are unorganized and technologically impaired to say the least, making my job difficult because I had to point out discrepancies in documents that were submitted (making me the bad guy).

There was also a lot of confusion on how long I would be working for and I would have liked a definite end date which I did not get until my last month

I was working with a couple people in my department that could not keep up accuracy standards, they seemed to cause more harm then good. It would have been better not to have those employees because we often found ourselves without enough work to go around.

Advice to Senior ManagementPLEASE train your staff better on submitting documents(
    Staff could also benefit from learning better organizational techniques, maybe OM binders or folders?
    OM is in desperate need of employee reviews

Great place to work

Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsFlexibility in doing work your own way, do some of it at home.
    Excellet team of people.
    Curriculum is fantastic and teachers love it.

ConsProgram manager and instructor jobs are seasonal and/or very part time.
    Have to attend weekly meetings in Chicago office most Fridays.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.
    Please sell the curriculum to schools. it is awesome.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for some extra money

Program Assistant (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe pay was above the average hourly wage

Consonly a couple hours a week

Advice to Senior Managementoffer some more hours to part timers

Growing quickly, but chaotic and not professional

Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat mission - provides after school tutoring programs with a multiple learning approach philosophy in public schools. Many very deciated employees.

ConsVery chaotic environment; rapid growth and seasonal spikes are not planned for or managed effectively. Occasionally hazardous work environment (definitely not good). Management not cognizant of legal requirements for running a business that size. Confidentiality of sensitive information (both employees and the business) is neither respected or maintained. Funding is at the whim of local,state and federal organizations who can alter or withdraw fundsing at any times, making employment prospects very unpredictable.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk around with others currently or previously in a similar role; they may have had a very different experience there. It can be an incrediubly stressful environment with little to no structure and immediate expectations of success. If you operate well in that type of environment, this may be a viable option for you. It was not for me.

A small growing company that has made an entrance to the educational industry.

Program Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsInformation is shared across all levels.
    Work hard/ Play hard enviroment.
    Friendly atmosphere.
    Potential for career advancement.

ConsCompensation is determined by enrollment/attendance.
    Mandatory meetings (several per week).
    Peak times require more than 50 - 60 hours worked per week.

Advice to Senior ManagementDue to the nature of the industry, managment must realize that school adminstrations are politically inclined and the numbers are often dependent on where adminstration would like to place students(i.e staff will pull/place students where they want to regardless of the ses "rules").

A major disappointment; although they succeeded in instilling confusion and doubt amongst there workforce.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosugh........i wish i had a few pros to draw upon from my time at Orions Mind, but there are none.

Conslack of structure,organization, direction
    constant doubt amongst management
    free flow of false information
    undermine the role of program managers

Advice to Senior ManagementIn all sincerity, pack up your bags and throw in the towel. You cannot continue on in other states without the proper research, funds, and a real acknowledgment of challenges that are ahead of you. Thus far you have proved you are incapable of doing so. You are doing a disservice to those who you hire and serve.

check this out

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proshey worked with kids and it was cool. if you like to help kids then work for them. It will be fun.

ConsThe pay was horrid. The hours were great but there gas reimbursement sucked. The company has no job security and that's not good.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people. Pay your people better. Help your people by providing them with all the tools they need.

Worked for Orion's Mind? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Orion's Mind reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Orion's Mind CEO Emily Paris. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Orion's Mind employees.