Orkin

Updated December 15, 2014
2.6

Orkin CEO, COO & President Gary Rollins
Gary Rollins

Pros
  • Good pay - advancement opprtunities are there - good training - good control of your business - fun if you find the right people to work with (in 6 reviews)

• Good pay and generally friendly management and coworkers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Ladies in the office are miserable and the managers are sales men who don't know anything about pest control (in 8 reviews)

• Long hours with no reward (no overtime) (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Much gained experience and never the same routine everyday.

Former Employee - Pest Control Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Pest Control Technician in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Orkin as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great experience that I will never forget.

Cons

Had to experience some very gross living conditions.

Providing customer service. Servicing a variety of clients. Producing not business

Current Employee - Tech in Rancho Dominguez, CA
    Current Employee - Tech in Rancho Dominguez, CA

I have been working at Orkin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Long history of providing customer service with great staff and support system

Cons

Large volume of clients at times support can be sparce

Be more personal with your employees

Hi

I have been working at Orkin

Pros

High school . the first one

Cons

Fortsmith national security deposit and

Fort

If you love stress and harassment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroe, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroe, LA

I have been working at Orkin full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I honestly can't think of any real pros. There are only a few people at my branch that are decent.

Cons

Management is constantly harassing people. Management does not work well with their employees. The pay is not worth what you go through on a daily basis

Honestly get new management. Both branch and service managers are horrible people.

Lead tech

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Orkin (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company truck freedom to work along

Cons

Underpaid for what you do

Make sure your worker are able to feed there family and not your pockets

Alot of promises that where never keeped

I have been working at Orkin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

training was great and the overall business is great

Cons

local management needs alot of help

get organised

Great opportunity to start in sales.

Former Employee - Sales Inspector in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Inspector in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Orkin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This was a good foot in the door to a sales career. There are some employees who make a lot of money as inspectors too.

Cons

Low salary and it can be hard, dirty work (if you actually do your job).

Listen to your Branch Managers. They know their staff and what they can and can't do.

Good job if you don't mind being married to them

Current Employee - Management Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Management Member in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Orkin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is very competitive. The work is consistent. They hire anyone as long as you pass drug test, have no criminal record and driving record isn't bad so you don't need experience to get the job.

Cons

Very, very long hours including nights after you've worked all day and weekends. Your responsibilities will be endless and they will have impossible expectations. More pressure than every job I have had and that's just them getting warmed up. They overcharge customers brutally.

No thanks.

I'm sure Orkin Corporate will not read this but have to get it off my chest.

Current Employee - Very Loyal Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Very Loyal Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Orkin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good pay compared to other companies in the same type of business.

Cons

Good ole boy mentality, lack of respect for customers and employees. If only upper management really knew how bad the service is and the fact that local management could care less. When trying to get a manager to assist in a customer concern and actually make them work you're put on a black list. I love when they hold meetings to talk about our customer rating scores because it is so hypocritical. Customers have to make 10 calls to finally have management call them back, by that time consider that customer gone and the 10 people they know never calling us because the bad word of mouth.

Wake up upper management! Your local branch management smiles in your face but once you're not around they do what they please and behave in a very unprofessional manner. Local management openly holds peoples jobs over there head if they don't play along with their unethical behavior which causes a very stressful work environment. I am there to make money not only for me but the company. I take pride in what I do and I expect management of all people to be the same. This is an awesome company to work for but it's time to clean house and stop allowing branch management to pull the wool over your eyes. There are things that go on and employees are afraid to speak up in fear that they will lose their jobs. Maybe I should just stop caring as well and my work life will become easier but that is not my type and I like to sleep at night. I'm very disappointed I had to write this poor review.

I worked for Orkin in the 'Call Center' for 5.5 years and 1yr as an 'Admin'.

Current Employee - New Customer Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - New Customer Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Orkin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Call Center--> Good wage. If you are in Charlotte and not Atlanta, you even get commission. Clean, climate controlled environment unless you word past five when the building closes and they auto turn the heat or air off, and the company will not pay extra to keep it on. Fixed schedule.
    Branch Admin--> Clean, climate controlled environment. Small staff, get to know one another well. The pay is a little over average.

Cons

Call Center--You are a number consisting of numbers. I lost my job because my number was never high enough, though I hardly ever had a customer to cancel a service plan early.
    Branch Admin--> state requires a lot of the paperwork I keep hearing about. There is no professionalism in the office. The termite techs, sales team, techs, come in and hang out in the office when you are trying to work. Very hard to concentrate.

FOCUS needs an overhaul, one that is actually going to get done, not one based on tickets submitted. One cannot run two FOCUS applications so that they can minimize one screen and go to the other waiting on a customer who needs a call back service or to pay a bill. I had been hearing the whole 6 years I was with Orkin that a whole new application was on it's way, instead a system to pin the Orkin man to the dash and set starts 20 mins from time he leaves the house he is servicing, blowing his route for the day. He'll have to push a few customers aside. What happened to start technicians? Stop busting the routes out of the seams before you open another route, stop busting branches out of the seams before you open a branch. Start spending a little ahead to give more quality to the employee's lives. Happy employees make happy customers. There are no buildings to maintain, the fleet is leased.