Orlando Regional Medical Center

Updated June 18, 2014
Updated June 18, 2014
3.6

CEO

Great place for new grad nurses

Former Employee - Nurse
    Former Employee - Nurse

I worked at Orlando Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

Lots of overtime. Weekend shifts

Cons

Health plan was the worst

A good 3 years, but time to move on

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orlando Regional Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love the people I work with, friendly and helpful employees in all departments, many opportunities for OT, great benefits, the ability to self-schedule, opportunities for learning, opportunities for advancement, ORMC is a teaching hospital so the opportunity to precept students

Cons

the say "patient first" but it feel like bottom line first, nurse to patient ratio (1:6 at night on a med-surg unit), inappropriate assignments based on patient acuity, understaffed, turnover, low morale, lack of managerial support, lack of communication between doctors/practices

I think that Orlando Health is a very good organization. If I needed to be hospitalized, ORMC is the first place I would go here in central FL - the quality of care is excellent. I am still a relatively new nurse, but I am already beginning to feel completely burned out. It's far too early in my career to feel this way. I have considered transferring units (I've been on the same unit for almost 3 years), but with management spread so thin, the unrest regarding union vs no union, and the circumstances that initiated such talks, I fear good change will not happen fast enough and I am reluctant to stay with the company.

I have had an amazing experience at ORMC, but I need a change. I miss looking forward to going to work, ready to face the challenges of the shift. One of my favorite thing about nursing is that face time getting to know about the patient and educating them in care and self advocacy. More often than not now, I feel ready to leave before I have really gotten started, and wonder how I will get through the shift. I'm running around so much, sometimes I feel more like a secretary than a nurse. I barely have the time for lunch for myself let alone the quality time I wish i could spend with all of my patients.

There is no other hospital I would rather work for in the central Florida area. That being said, I believe I'll be exploring other employment options outside of the region.

I will like to work here again and again

Former Employee - Cerner PathNet Advisor  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Cerner PathNet Advisor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Orlando Regional Medical Center as a contractor

Pros

The working environment is very nice and Orlando is a very beautiful city with always something to do when not at work

Cons

i dont really have anything to complain about, it was a very wonderful expirience

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ORMC

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at Orlando Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

Pretty good benefits, tuition reimbursement, they encourage promotions from within existing team members.

Cons

The company is under going a tumultuous time with the current economy, which has led to an increase in micro-managing. You are expected to get the same if not more work done with less employees and get no incentive or recognition for the hard work. The team moral is very low in my own department, I can't speak for any others.

I think the management should appreciate their team members that come to work and work hard, instead of focusing on writing them up for time/attendance or having a tattoo showing. I believe if you have to treat your employees as individuals and be understanding of personal circumstance instead of blindly adhering to a policy that will ultimately make you lose many great employees.

Overall good experience

Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orlando Regional Medical Center

Pros

The people, co-workers are great there. The best paying job in area, and nightshift diff is huge! Not much stress in job either. Very well staffed.

Cons

It is very difficult to move up the clinical ladder. Teaching hospital so don't expect to intubate, ever! Scheduling sucks unless you've been there 20 years!

Great place to work

Former Employee - Guest Services  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Guest Services in Orlando, FL

I worked at Orlando Regional Medical Center

Pros

Great team to work with. Managers are all very caring and willing to help you with scheduling. Great place to work if you're currently taking classes at college.

Cons

Dealing with angry guests and unhappy patients who want things done a certain way, even if it's against hospital policy. Doctors who think they own you.

Praise your employees more when they do good or amazing things. It's really easy to point out the flaws, but you should remember to praise the good too.

Worked for Orlando Regional Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!