Orlando Science Center Reviews

Reset
3.1
Joann Newman

1. Great Experience

Pros

Positive, interesting environment and great coworkers.

Cons

Can be boring, but most jobs are.

Advice to Management

None.

2. Birthday Party Host

Former Employee - Birthday Party Host in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Birthday Party Host in Orlando, FL

I worked at Orlando Science Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

working with kids, free cake and ice cream, weekends only

Cons

limited hours, uniform was plain, not very modern building, bugs and pests

Upper Management Sucks

I have been working at Orlando Science Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that work are wonderful. I like coming to work just to hang out with them. Membership after 90 days. Work incentives.

Cons

Constantly reminding managers to do their job; Guest complaints about how marketing doesn't advertise proper information.

Advice to Management

I don't like upper management. They're retarded.

Educator

Former Employee - Educator in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Educator in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Orlando Science Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work at Freedom to do as you please without people nagging you Lots of friendly people Friendly Guests/Most staff

Cons

Unorganized Everyones part time No Benefits Only pays minimum wage... No higher Really unorganized, doesn't like quality and won't spend money to get it Frequently out of everything Horrible management No discounts on anything but parking

Advice to Management

Get your act together... Invest in the programs, spend a little money, actually have supplies. Everyone i know complains about how you are constantly out of supplies and have to make due with crap. Yea Good luck, good thing ya'll get a bunch of donations

Coordinator

Current Employee - Coordinator in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orlando Science Center (Less than a year)

Pros

Constant growth and a great mission. The coworkers make the experience. The new look is also awesome. Membership after 90 days.

Cons

Constant turn over. Disconnect between upper management and entry level employees. While guest satisfaction is a priority, employee needs need to be addressed

Advice to Management

Bridge the gap between employees and upper management me. Hire better qualified upper level staff. Address problems head on, instead of beating around the bush.

part-time

I have been working at Orlando Science Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

co-workers are great, most of the employees are nice, pay is alright-- slightly above minimum wage, non-profit company, guest are nice.

Cons

Old Management Styles, Cameras are always on you, high turnover, communication is not on point, distance (only applies to me)

Advice to Management

Open Communication

Poor management, and low worker morale

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Orlando Science Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers are the only pro. That and a free membership if you survive there long enough to earn it. Decent hours, because a 40 hour work week is heavily regulated (the OSC is too cheap to pay overtime).

Cons

The healthcare option is incredibly expensive. Your experience is undervalued, and your work, no matter how hard, will never be appreciated. The pay is atrocious; this was the least I ever made working for a non-profit, and I have worked for them for several years. The management is some of the worst I have ever experienced - there is a severe lack of communication and under-qualified people promoted beyond their skill set. The upper echelon is completely out of touch. The HR department is practically non-existent, inefficient, and incompetent. The opportunities for advancement, unless you are a favorite or have worked there for several years, are few and far between. Going to work everyday felt like going to elementary school with the amount of rules placed on staff.

Advice to Management

Communicate better with yourselves and your employees. Gain a better perspective of your employees, and perhaps learn how to have some tact. 20% of the management knows what they're doing, perhaps try and improve that percentage.

Some days I feel like a glorified babysitter

I have been working at Orlando Science Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to work with some fun people and the managers are very nice.

Cons

Pay is awful and they hide behind the non-profit label. Most days I just feel like a glorified babysitter and that my work is not appreciated, especially since I get paid so little. The managers are nice however as a whole seem very disorganized and inept at their jobs at times. They also throw you into situations you are utterly unprepared for; they give you one day of "training" and assume you are therefore ready to teach all curriculum under any circumstance.

Advice to Management

Give more training! It would help alleviate stress immensely and would make me feel so much more comfortable (and possibly even happier) in my job.

Seems as if your work is unappreciated.

I have been working at Orlando Science Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely love the kids, and the environment, good atmosphere. House managers are great and very helpful!

Cons

Education managers talks down on people who's below them. Very low pay for the stress & work load! An excuse as to why we're not getting any raises is "we're nonprofit, we're on a strict budget." Then have all staff meetings explaining how much money we've made in such a short period of time.

Advice to Management

You have to start somewhere, just because I'm not where you are doesn't mean I'm beneath you or that you can talk to me however.

Felt as though I was taken advantage of with the empty promises of advancement

Former Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Orlando Science Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you really work the political system ( go out and drink with the exec's weekly) can be a cushy job

Cons

Really low pay, very disorganized. Hides behind "we're nonprofit" constantly. Then has all staff meeting explaining how much money is coming in.

Advice to Management

Quit

RSS Feed </> Embed