Orlando Utilities Commission Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Ken Ksionek

1. Great Overall Place to Work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orlando Utilities Commission (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Clear expectations of job duties. - Great benefits. - Flexible and laid back managers. - Education assistance. - Laid back work environment.

Cons

- Could get higher pay in private sector. - Government employees...some people do not take work as serious as it should be. - Hard to get approval or change the set rules. If HR does it a certain way, that's the way it will be, no exceptions.

Advice to Management

Start to compensate employees on individual work performance. They do raises mainly across the board and if you are great at your job you will most likely get paid more but so will the other employees in your job position. There is nothing wrong with paying someone more than another based on their work. OUC has yet to learn this and needs to be ok with compensating some more intelligent hard working folks appropriately.

2. Customer Service

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ocoee, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ocoee, FL

I worked at Orlando Utilities Commission (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is good company to work because the benefits are good however, there is a lot of other companies in Orlando that have good benefits and better.

Cons

The worst experience ever had was working in the customer service department. Changes are made consistently, they have a very high turn around people come and go. they hired a lot of temp and work them without benefits. training suck and management need to know how to treat they staff.

3. Change is Good.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

Pros

Benefits, medical and dental benefits are wonderful

Cons

Customer Connections is horrible. Call queues of 90-100 callers, callers waiting over an hour on hold to speak with someone to assist. All collections have been farmed out to Atlanta, who cannot even keep enough staff to handle the calls. Staffing levels are horrible. 15 new hires not a single one a company employee all temps. Supervisors, Managers, even the Department Director has moved on. The department director is a TEMP. The few regular OUC employees left in Customer Connections are trying to survive. Everything from impossible metrics to degrading management style are driving what few employees left away. 100% of all current employees are actively attempting to locate different employment. We all assume this will make the Commission happy as it is very apparent if not will be driven out or managed out to transform entire department to contract outside of OUC. The public needs to be made aware of the direction the company is headed.

Advice to Management

Quit boasting how great you are. Get your hands dirty. Get out of the Ivory tower. Come to Customer Connections and spend a day on the phones listen to the customers that are paying your 6 figure incomes. Remember they do sign your paychecks.

5. Legendary customer service? Walk the talk.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orlando Utilities Commission full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Paid time off, medical is good considering the state of medical insurance, opportunity for overtime, paid training, retirement.

Cons

The customer service call center is horrid. The person that wrote the 6/4/14 commentary is absolutely correct. No matter what you do, in management's estimation, it's inadequate in one capacity or another. Management expects CSRs to take care of all customer concerns, perfectly adhereing to rigorous quality assurance monitoring, in three minutes or less and in one call resolution. It is completely unrealistic considering their complex and technology deficient systems and the arduous time consuming tasks that CSRs are expected to undertake. Management uses K.I.T.A. motivational psychology, most of the supervisors are bullies and upper management is aloof at best. OUC prides itself in being a family at work which seems to be the case for all departments EXCEPT customer service. The training for customer service is very extensive but why a company would spend so much time and money to train an employee and then beat them into the ground as fast as they can in incomprehensible. The dysfunctional culture and old school management style causes the employees to suffer and in turn the customers suffer.

Advice to Management

Read these comments from your current and past employees, open your minds and your ears. You have lost many talented employees by being rigid and uncompromising. This is not the way innovative companies treat their employees. Happy employees, happy customers.

6. Customer Service in name only

Current Employee - Customer Service in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orlando Utilities Commission full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, sick and vacation and retirement (if you can last that long)

Cons

In the call center it's all about your numbers, the human element is void when evaluating employees, management claims they want us to do whatever it takes to service the customer, but then penalizes you if you take too long doing (talking on the phone, calling other departments, not taking enough calls during the day, doing off the phone work) then they set unrealistic numbers to reach, no matter what you do, if you do well in one area, they fault you in another area-ALWAYS can find reasons for bad evaluations-you are set up for failure. Lack of continuity between departments, lots of favoritism, call monitoring standards are set so that no matter what you do or how hard you try, there will always be a reason to cut your score, which in turn affects your evaluation. Management is reactive and not proactive, too many fixes, patches, after the fact, too little too late, I feel bad for the customers.

Advice to Management

If you say you want true customer service and customer satisfaction, then let us do it and not have us stressing about how long it took to take care of the customer, look at the fact that we did what you asked us to do. It's like talking out of both sides of your mouth and sending conflicting messages, first you want us to move right then you tell us no, that was wrong we want you to move left. We are people not numbers, no other department is held to the same standards, we are the dumping ground. We take a lot of heat from every direction and are never rewarded. You elicit input from employees and then just discard what is said, nothing changes.

7. It's a job

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orlando Utilities Commission full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health insurance is great compared to what's offered by other companies. With prior approval very few appointments are declined. Parking is free. Non-Customer service departments treat employees well enough.

Cons

Next to impossible to move off the phones. Little to no co-operation between departments. Management makes bad decisions regarding customer service policies and technology. Upper management is reactionary and not innovative.

8. Customer Service

Current Employee - Customer Service in Orlando, FL

Pros

Everything, I love my job and have nothing bad to say about this company. I've heard a few employees grumbling but bottom line is, that is an issue with the employee them-self not the company. OUC is one of the best companies to work for in Florida.

Cons

Apart from the long wait time that contractors have to wait to be hired, I have no complaints about this company. Very proactive environment and as far as I can see, little bias with management. I look forward to going in to work in the mornings. Love my job and I haven't been able to say that in a very long time.

Advice to Management

If you have good employees, whether contract or not, HIRE/PROMOTE THEM before you lose them.

9. A great company to work for where if you put in the hard work you can move up.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orlando Utilities Commission full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For a utility, OUC is forward thinking. The majority of its employees have been at OUC for over 10 years. This creates a family like atmosphere. Great benefits package. OUC really does care for its employees and will do everything possible to work with them. It is a privilege to tell people that you are a part of the most reliable utility in the southeast.

Cons

As a utility worker you are always on call. This is to be expected however as you are told what the expectations are upfront when applying for a job.

Advice to Management

Keep the forward thinking.

10. Terrible

Current Employee - Call Center in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Call Center in Orlando, FL

Pros

Great benefits, sick time, vacation, 401 k

Cons

Closing service centers, not hiring, not giving raises, due to several million dollar budget deficit (so we are told). Everything is about the numbers not peopl

Advice to Management

Remember where you came from, you were on the bottom once in your life.

11. great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

It seems that salaries are better than in other utilities, and still they seem to be a financially sound company, without waste of resources

Cons

The company seems to look only at the bottom line when it come to promotions and hirings

Advice to Management

none

RSS Feed </> Embed