Orlans Associates PC

Be The First To
Add Photos

Linda Orlans

Good experience

Foreclosure Specialist (Former Employee)
    Troy, MI

ProsCompany cares about employees. They provide lunch or breakfast frequently.

ConsI felt i was underpaid and so did others.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more

Run for Your Life

(Current Employee)
    Troy, MI

ProsOutstanding benefits, location, and that's about it.

ConsNo promotions/pay increase, micro managing supervisors, poor office culture, always talking about layoffs hanging over our heads create poor office morale & uncertainty

Advice to Senior ManagementThe micro managing, spying, & favoritism needs to stop. If you ever plan on moving up or making more money, it will NEVER happen. There is always talk of layoffs so with this gloom hanging over everyone's head, it makes for poor office morale. Personal interaction is really not allowed & if you are caught, you'll get in trouble with a write up or job termination being held against you even if you're a really hard worker. There are no office parties, fun events, or bonuses. Most of the supervisors are real jerks. If I didn't need an income to survive, I wouldn't be working here. This place SUCKS & the only person that seems to care is the Alison Orlans. I would NOT RECOMMMEND Orlans to ANYONE.

Horrible work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou're pretty much on your own

ConsPay is lousy, benefits are ok, absolutely no place for personal growth

Advice to Senior ManagementActually listen to your employees

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Last resort job

FGoreclosure Specialist (Former Employee)
    Troy, MI

ProsFree bagel once a month. Front line employees are nice to work with and support each other.

ConsWhere to begin. Horrible pay and benefits. From top to bottom management is out of touch with the front line staff and incompetent. There is no solid training for new employees, you have to rely on your peers to help you as the supervisors are moved around so often and with no clear plan in mind. It's best to use this as a last resort kind of job while you're looking for a career. They have many employees with college degrees that they ignore as they are not part of the "inner circle", there is a lot of great talent being wasted.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome out of your office and see what's going on. You have an entire company that is over worked, underpaid and leaving as soon as they possibly can. Stop worrying about how pretty the office looks and focus on providing your employees with a living wage and respectable benefits.

WORST EMPLOYMENT EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE

Managerial (Current Employee)
    Troy, MI

ProsBagels once a month, and casual Friday. THATS ABOUT IT. If I could give less than one star I would certainly do so.

ConsEVERYTHING ELSE. Literally this is a jail sentence. Underpaid. There is so much favoritism going on, and if you sleep your way to the top with the married CEO, then you might get a few extra vacation days a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees, treat them as human beings

The Worst Experience of My Career - TOXIC Place to Work!!!!!

Troy, MI

ProsOccasional lunch provided to staff. Bagels provided once a month (would prefer a raise in lieu of getting either one of these perks!) There are many GREAT people working at Orlans which help to make it tolerable to stay while looking for something else.

ConsSenior management is so detached that they don't know how unhappy their empoyees are or simply just don't care! The CEO treats her staff terribly, often yelling, screamiing and demeaning them with harsh words. She cannot keep an assistant because of her unprofessional and unacceptable behavior. Have witnessed some even crying at their desk while trying to do their work, after the backlash received from their boss. Have seen several come and go like a revolving door. It appears that the competent ones are too smart to stick around for too long so they end up finding something else and leaving the company quickly! The only common thread/element to all of the "issues" is the CEO but she is in true denial and always points the finger at everyone else! Really - get a clue lady!! It's called self examination. This company has a huge employee turnover rate, wonder why?

Advice to Senior ManagementTry treating your employees with respect and modeling for them what a true leader/manager is. Lead your people by example, not lip service. It is hard for people to "drink the Kool-Aid" if you say one thing and then do another. Learn what it means to be professional in your actions, speach, practices, etc. Kindness goes a long way, much further than being rude or degrading to others. Stop sending mixed messages to your employees. Example: Telling your employees that you cannot afford to give them a raise while all along you spend all kinds of money on trips, outings, bagels, etc. Don't think that employees cannot hear what is going on. The employees would rather get money in their pocket/check than a bagel once a month.

Disorganized Mess

Foreclosure Specialist (Current Employee)
    Troy, MI

Pros-There are some pretty great people that do make working here more enjoyable.
    -Schedule is pretty flexible as far as normal work day schedule and vacation time

Cons-This place is completely disorganized; there really is no structure. They decided to restructure one huge area of the company with no game plan for the execution of said plan. That just doesn't work.
    -The lack of communication is atrocious. The "rules" and "guidelines" are not consistent and vary from team to team. Employees are not aware of what's expected of their role within the company. At times, it appears that we're supposed to read minds.
    -Favoritism runs rampant and plays an important part in determining promotions. Instead of looking at who actually knows what they're doing.
    -Management should be present, not constantly in "meetings" or at school.
    -The compensation plan has been changed numerous times as employees are told the goal is to be more competitive with similar companies. This is a joke. You can start at a similar company making dollars more per hour than you make working here for years. There have been many empty promises made stating that compensation is changing for the better.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the cons section and take a good look at what's happening around you. Stop ignoring issues; that really doesn't help anything.

Frustrated and Trapped...

Troy, MI

ProsFlexible schedule - really depends on your supervisor more so than company-wide

ConsFavoritism, favoritism, favoritism -- many people work from home, but when my daughter had to have her tonsils removed, I was told that I could not work from home unless it was a special circumstances (someone else in my "department" works from home quite often, even while she was on maternity leave)
    Very unorganized managerial staff - some say they grew so fast and now they don't know what to do or how to handle all of the growth/staff
    Low, low, LOW morale - no one expects a ticker-tape parade, but to show your employees a LITTLE appreciation wouldn't hurt
    Low pay - they supposedly revamped the pay scale over a year ago (summer 2012) to be comparable for similiar jobs/positions (they referred to it as a market increase); I am going on almost three years with the company and STILL do not not make a dollar more an hour!!!!!!
    Many supervisors and/or managers do not show the staff any respect - many talk down to you (condescending tone is prominent)

Advice to Senior ManagementSit in the "trenches" for one day and see what we do and how little we get paid to do it and then tell me if you would work for this company.

A DISORGANIZED and CHAOTIC MESS

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Troy, MI

ProsRegardless of the fact that the entire management team is a JOKE with their lack of knowledge, micro-managing tactics and everyday BS, there are some really great co-workers who take their jobs seriously, show they care about their respective job and what it means to the company's success. I've made some life long friends while working at this company and was lucky enough to actually move around and learn several different jobs during my time at the company. The flexibility with hours, paid time off and health insurance were decent however the flexibility in hours was based on your manager or supervisors discretion and was never a consistent 'work' standard. These are about the only good qualities this company has left. It's a great as a starter job; not career that will ever allow you to retire until your dead.

ConsWhere to begin because the list can go on forever. A few key points:

For starters almost the entire executive management team (aka EMTs) hired or promoted do not have a single clue about the industry or what the jobs within each department actually entail which makes it extremely difficult for them to manage effectively. Sure you don't have to have knowledge of every job position within the company to be a great manager or supervisor but let's be real......how can you effectively lead a team or the company into success if you have absolutely NO knowledge of the business to appropriately train your team members on their job duties you are responsible for overseeing as well as have absolutely no idea what processes directly affect your area and vise-versa?!?

Employees who had absolutely no prior experience were brought into the company and promoted to management positions within 6 months; either because they were favored by one of the EMTs or they had a friend within the management team who hired and promoted them with absolutely no merit whatsoever. Employees with several years of experience were never told about opportunities until a position had already been filled. That was until the HR Department was forced to post ALL positions available. Regardless of whether they are posted they still went through the motions of interviewing all applicants but it never stopped them from pre-filling the position before all interviews were conducted. Nobody cared about what job comes before or after them as long as their got their jobs done. Some specifically instructed their team members not to review the documents they prepared because the info should be correct in the system (as if no human errors can be made). This made employees clueless as to how their jobs impacted another area or whether they even completed it correctly. Within the span of a year the entire management team was promoted by friends and nobody else had a chance at moving up the ladder unless you were part of the 'group'.

Moving on...

Every employee is severely under paid. During the hiring process, they actually ask you what the lowest amount of pay you will take and give you that or something lower while trying to sway you by telling you bonuses are given throughout the year to make up for it (what a joke). When your salary exceeds a certain level they either 're-categorize' the position as salary so they no longer have to pay you overtime pay or tell you that you that you are capped & won't receive pay increases, What a way to win over the employees who are already ticked off because they are severely underpaid for their expertise and knowledge.

Errors? Instead of using the errors for training purposes receive a list at the end of the month of all the errors you've made, the majority of which could be prevented had they actually given some extra training and feedback. They actually thrive off errors you make (regardless of whether it was because of the crap training I know you received) so it can be used to justify why you won't get a raise in your review and a 'goal' for the upcoming year. The entire review process is a joke and mean nothing. No matter how hard you work, how many jobs you have cross-trained and learn or how much extra time you dedicate to the company, you still won't get a raise (unless you are favored by the management team, of course) and nobody really cares about your performance for that year.

The constant re-organization is unheard of. Clearly re-organizing your management team every 2 months causes confusion and a lack of confidence in entire company. Constant changing of responsibilities amongst the EMT team is because they lack the experience and knowledge required to lead the company to success. You are clearing running it into the ground.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you haven't noticed (which I'm sure you have and just don't care because of your constant 'everyone is replaceable' attitudes) all your key employees have left or are in the process of trying your leave the company because of the chaos. Your micro-managing ways, obvious favoritism and lack of experience or knowledge to run a company is less than to be desired.

If you want feedback from everyone who has left the company on what you can do to make it a better place to work LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!! LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES WHO STILL REMAIN AND READ THE EXIT INTERVIEWS OF THOSE WHO LEFT AND MAKE CHANGES before you lose those worth keeping otherwise stop wasting their time having them fill out your exit-interview form and let them make a quick and painless exit!

Unnerving and Degrading

Worker Drone (Current Employee)
    Troy, MI

Prosfriends/co-workers; bagel day 1x a month. There is SOME entertainment value in watching the disgusting practices of corporate bigotry come back to bite them in "you know what"

ConsEverything else: barely able to live paycheck to paycheck (many of us have to carpool at the end of a pay period because there isn't enough money for gas), yet, they expect an extensive amount of relatively important work be completed daily; MOST in upper managment positions have no business being in the position because they 1) don't understand the job their employees do, and 2) cannot communicate or get a long with others in a mature, adult-like manner. Based on the managers now, it appears they're only credentials are their willingness to throw someone else under the bus and their overbearing, micromanaging, "I'll report anyone who doesn't follow the ridiculous rules" mentality. We received (in error) an email communication between the managers that discussed new "rules" that they wanted to roll out- they should give you an idea of the type of atmosphere.

1) Limit and monitor bathroom breaks of your staff
    2) Staff must be in cubicle at all times unless punched out
    3) Monitor excessive trips to the kitchen
    4) There is no socializing with other employees unless punched out
      *(people have actually been fired for this one)*
    5) If an employee is going to be away from their cubicle, they must report to their supervisor where they're going- even bathroom breaks.

They treat their employees like children yet they expect the production and quality work of a professional who actually gets paid a respectable salary. You CANNOT trust anyone in upper management. HR is bffs with said upper management so any complaints will be treated as entertainment over lunch (this I know from experience).

I am not just a disgruntled employee- what you're reading here and what has been described in other's accounts of this place is 100% correct - I promise. This place will crash and burn because of the way it conducts business and treats the employees making them all their money and it appears to be headed that way now. (Thus my reasoning for taking time out of my day to give my two cents) Save yourself the time and stress - even if you think you have experience, it doesn't matter to them. We have people with higher degrees of education being told the degree doesn't matter. You're better off getting a job at McDonalds for the near the same amount until you've found something better.

Do not work for Orlans Associates. Unless of course your bored and find the sheer entertainment value in it all like me :)

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's no changing them, nor is there enough advice in the world.

Worked for Orlans Associates PC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Orlans Associates PC reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Orlans Associates PC CEO Linda Orlans . All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Orlans Associates PC employees.