Orlans Associates PC

Linda Orlans

Learned a Great Deal

Former Employee - Foreclosure Assistant in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Foreclosure Assistant in Troy, MI

I worked at Orlans Associates PC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

--Learned a great deal, was a great job to have preceding law school.
    --Pay was fair, and higher than the same job at other offices
    --Office is BEAUTIFUL and SO CLEAN. I usually get really sick working in a room with a ton of cubicles; however, Orlans has an intensive cleaning crew come through the office every night. So great. Also, there is a fresh farmers market that comes to the office 2 days a week.
    --If you're full time, Orlans offers great benefits.

Cons

--Some people who work there are pretty sour
    --Work can be monotonous
    --If you get stuck on a team with debbie-downers, you probably wont have the good experience I did.

Team leaders need to be excited and encouraging to their team! It really promotes a good work environment.

Miserable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at Orlans Associates PC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only good reason to work here is to collect a paycheck while looking for another job and a free bagel on Friday. Also beware that this company owns E-Title and rededocs.

Cons

If you like being micromanaged to death you'll love it here. Management is in a constant state of flux; people leaving, people coming on that don't have management experience. And they all like to have meetings all day long about what...nobody knows. Maybe what flavor bagels to get the rest of the sheep. I've never seen hard working loyal people treated with such arrogance and disdain. They spend so much time talking about training, and cross-training and by the time they start implementing their "new" ideas they've changed their minds and don't bother telling anyone.

You have terrible, inexperienced management. When you have to hire an outside marketing rep for your company you should know something is wrong. When you have a HUGE turnover rate in employees, that's actually a bad thing. Learn to listen and respect the people that are working their butts off for you.

Run for Your Life

I have been working at Orlans Associates PC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding benefits, location, and that's about it.

Cons

No promotions/pay increase, micro managing supervisors, poor office culture, always talking about layoffs hanging over our heads create poor office morale & uncertainty

The micro managing, spying, & favoritism needs to stop. If you ever plan on moving up or making more money, it will NEVER happen. There is always talk of layoffs so with this gloom hanging over everyone's head, it makes for poor office morale. Personal interaction is really not allowed & if you are caught, you'll get in trouble with a write up or job termination being held against you even if you're a really hard worker. There are no office parties, fun events, or bonuses. Most of the supervisors are real jerks. If I didn't need an income to survive, I wouldn't be working here. This place SUCKS & the only person that seems to care is the Alison Orlans. I would NOT RECOMMMEND Orlans to ANYONE.

Horrible work environment

I worked at Orlans Associates PC

Pros

You're pretty much on your own

Cons

Pay is lousy, benefits are ok, absolutely no place for personal growth

Actually listen to your employees

Last resort job

Former Employee - FGoreclosure Specialist in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - FGoreclosure Specialist in Troy, MI

I worked at Orlans Associates PC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free bagel once a month. Front line employees are nice to work with and support each other.

Cons

Where to begin. Horrible pay and benefits. From top to bottom management is out of touch with the front line staff and incompetent. There is no solid training for new employees, you have to rely on your peers to help you as the supervisors are moved around so often and with no clear plan in mind. It's best to use this as a last resort kind of job while you're looking for a career. They have many employees with college degrees that they ignore as they are not part of the "inner circle", there is a lot of great talent being wasted.

Come out of your office and see what's going on. You have an entire company that is over worked, underpaid and leaving as soon as they possibly can. Stop worrying about how pretty the office looks and focus on providing your employees with a living wage and respectable benefits.

WORST EMPLOYMENT EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE

Current Employee - Managerial in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Managerial in Troy, MI

I have been working at Orlans Associates PC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bagels once a month, and casual Friday. THATS ABOUT IT. If I could give less than one star I would certainly do so.

Cons

EVERYTHING ELSE. Literally this is a jail sentence. Underpaid. There is so much favoritism going on, and if you sleep your way to the top with the married CEO, then you might get a few extra vacation days a year.

Care about your employees, treat them as human beings

The Worst Experience of My Career - TOXIC Place to Work!!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at Orlans Associates PC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Occasional lunch provided to staff. Bagels provided once a month (would prefer a raise in lieu of getting either one of these perks!) There are many GREAT people working at Orlans which help to make it tolerable to stay while looking for something else.

Cons

Senior management is so detached that they don't know how unhappy their empoyees are or simply just don't care! The CEO treats her staff terribly, often yelling, screamiing and demeaning them with harsh words. She cannot keep an assistant because of her unprofessional and unacceptable behavior. Have witnessed some even crying at their desk while trying to do their work, after the backlash received from their boss. Have seen several come and go like a revolving door. It appears that the competent ones are too smart to stick around for too long so they end up finding something else and leaving the company quickly! The only common thread/element to all of the "issues" is the CEO but she is in true denial and always points the finger at everyone else! Really - get a clue lady!! It's called self examination. This company has a huge employee turnover rate, wonder why?

Try treating your employees with respect and modeling for them what a true leader/manager is. Lead your people by example, not lip service. It is hard for people to "drink the Kool-Aid" if you say one thing and then do another. Learn what it means to be professional in your actions, speach, practices, etc. Kindness goes a long way, much further than being rude or degrading to others. Stop sending mixed messages to your employees. Example: Telling your employees that you cannot afford to give them a raise while all along you spend all kinds of money on trips, outings, bagels, etc. Don't think that employees cannot hear what is going on. The employees would rather get money in their pocket/check than a bagel once a month.

Disorganized Mess

Current Employee - Foreclosure Specialist in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Foreclosure Specialist in Troy, MI

I have been working at Orlans Associates PC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-There are some pretty great people that do make working here more enjoyable.
    -Schedule is pretty flexible as far as normal work day schedule and vacation time

Cons

-This place is completely disorganized; there really is no structure. They decided to restructure one huge area of the company with no game plan for the execution of said plan. That just doesn't work.
    -The lack of communication is atrocious. The "rules" and "guidelines" are not consistent and vary from team to team. Employees are not aware of what's expected of their role within the company. At times, it appears that we're supposed to read minds.
    -Favoritism runs rampant and plays an important part in determining promotions. Instead of looking at who actually knows what they're doing.
    -Management should be present, not constantly in "meetings" or at school.
    -The compensation plan has been changed numerous times as employees are told the goal is to be more competitive with similar companies. This is a joke. You can start at a similar company making dollars more per hour than you make working here for years. There have been many empty promises made stating that compensation is changing for the better.

Read the cons section and take a good look at what's happening around you. Stop ignoring issues; that really doesn't help anything.

Frustrated and Trapped...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at Orlans Associates PC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule - really depends on your supervisor more so than company-wide

Cons

Favoritism, favoritism, favoritism -- many people work from home, but when my daughter had to have her tonsils removed, I was told that I could not work from home unless it was a special circumstances (someone else in my "department" works from home quite often, even while she was on maternity leave)
    Very unorganized managerial staff - some say they grew so fast and now they don't know what to do or how to handle all of the growth/staff
    Low, low, LOW morale - no one expects a ticker-tape parade, but to show your employees a LITTLE appreciation wouldn't hurt
    Low pay - they supposedly revamped the pay scale over a year ago (summer 2012) to be comparable for similiar jobs/positions (they referred to it as a market increase); I am going on almost three years with the company and STILL do not not make a dollar more an hour!!!!!!
    Many supervisors and/or managers do not show the staff any respect - many talk down to you (condescending tone is prominent)

Sit in the "trenches" for one day and see what we do and how little we get paid to do it and then tell me if you would work for this company.

Good experience

Former Employee - Foreclosure Specialist in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Foreclosure Specialist in Troy, MI

I worked at Orlans Associates PC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company cares about employees. They provide lunch or breakfast frequently.

Cons

I felt i was underpaid and so did others.

Pay more