Orman Guidance Research

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
3.6

Rosemary Sundin

I always look forward going to work .

Current Employee - QSR in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - QSR in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Orman Guidance Research part-time

Pros

Everyone listens to questions or concerns and have always treated me with respect.

Cons

Market research is such a fast paced industry, and if you don't get excited about seeing a project completed and the kudos that comes along with it, then this industry is not for you.

Continue to have your open door policy, embrace everyone's suggestions and keep the 'high five' going into 2015!!!

Opportunity

I have been working at Orman Guidance Research

Pros

This is a great place to work if you want to be the one that defines your future.
    They give you the option and opportunity to establish your place in the company.

Cons

It is not a place for snails - marketing research is a faced pace environment and every work-day is different.

Keep working to develop the managers and employees that want to be managers.

Poor Experience

I have been working at Orman Guidance Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Type of work allows for okay experience.

Cons

Poor Management, High Turnover of employees and micromanaging of work. Every full-time non-management employee that I was working at Orman when I joined is now gone.

Invest in your employees, compensate them well and treat them with the utmost respect. Reprimand may be necessary, but it should not include raised voices or degrading comments. Reassess how you are treating your employees and your turnover may decrease. Its not them it is you!

Oct 7, 2014CEO & President

Hopefully as this employee knows, Orman is undergoing some very significant and exciting changes. More on those later. First and foremost I would like to respond to the above poster.

I would like
    ... More

Opportunity

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Orman Guidance Research full-time

Pros

Orman provides unique opportunities to the self-starters of the world. In fact, the current management team all started in entry-level positions. Positive team environment, schedule flexibility and interesting variety of projects continue to lead to longer tenures than comparable companies.

Cons

One must be able to handle the fast-paced life of a researcher: many project details to cover and they can change at a moment's notice as we fulfill the projects. Personally I like the pace but its not for everyone.

Continue to improve the training opportunities and benefit incentives

Jun 23, 2014CEO & President

Thank you for the review! As you know, we're working on the training opportunity so that managers and staff have the tools they need in order to do their jobs with confidence. We'll continue to work ... More

Best job ever!

Current Employee - Specialist in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Specialist in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Orman Guidance Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I started in a part-time position and moved my way up to full-time with more responsibilities and a nice pay raise. Most employees are very friendly and the work environment is great. I am always learning and growing, both personally and with the company. I recommend this job to my friends because the hours are flexible and there is always some new, interesting study to learn about!

Cons

It can be a fast-paced environment with many different projects to learn and keep track of.

The new engagement center is wonderful, and I look forward to our company gatherings that we've talked about! Hopefully one this summer?

Jun 23, 2014CEO & President

Yes, definitely we will have a company party again this summer. It is great to get to know people better and generally just kick back -- away from the fast pace of market research. Thank you for your ... More

Avoid at all costs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Orman Guidance Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The type of work could have been enjoyable if an employee would be allowed to focus on their job (See Cons section).

Cons

Personal Growth, Compensation , work environment and management

There are serious issues with this company that need to be sorted out starting with the management. In my experience Management disregards the opinions, thoughts, well-being and morale of the employees. There is a high turnover rate of employees, which I believe is connected to the poor management-employee relationship. My advice it for leadership to lead by empowering employees rather than instilling fear in them by giving ultimatums. To conclude "Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to." - Richard Branson (founder of Virgin Mobile)

Jun 6, 2014CEO & President

Hi, there -- Rosemary Sundin here -- thank you for your review but let's please also make it known that more than a half dozen people in our small company are on the fast track / career path and ... More

Career path is available

Current Employee - Management in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Management in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Orman Guidance Research full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is definitely an opportunity to contribute work and ideas that lead to growth for both the individual and the company. The staff on a track to long-term career opportunities have a great opportunity for client-facing work, and this occurs at an early stage in a person's development at the company.

Cons

The environment is often fast-paced -- there is a myriad of details to keep track of. People who rattle easily do less well at the company.

Continue to develop the training and performance-based incentive programs for those who desire a career path at the company.

May 8, 2014CEO & President

Thank you for the review. It is our goal that Orman's ongoing practice of training and performance-based incentives gets better each year. We have a new initiative in the works that allows for ... More

Recruiters and supervisors are nice, but the owner is not a nice person by any means

I worked at Orman Guidance Research

Pros

If you want a part-time job, this is a great place to work. Being a recruiter is a nice little job to have. You have flexible hours, but when it's slow, you won't get many hours. It is great experience if you have little to none to begin with. Training is pretty good.

Cons

The owner. Stay away from her. And her sidekick too.

They wouldn't take my advice so why give it. They think they walk on water. But if I had to say something it would be...don't suck the life out of people.

May 8, 2014CEO & President

It's always a major drag to see a review like this because no doubt the writer felt very strongly that it is deserved. But here goes, it's me, Rosemary Sundin, writing this response. I try hard to ... More

Good company to work for.

I have been working at Orman Guidance Research full-time

Pros

Fast-paced company to work for, with excellent benefits. The 401K progam in particular is very good.
    Relaxed environment largely free from the buzz words that do not carry any meaning and plauge other organizations.

Cons

Employees are not eligible for vacation time until they have worked at the company for one year, although management has been known to make exceptions on a case by case basis. Starting salaries are fairly low.

Establish and stick to a regular schedule for employee reviews.

May 8, 2014CEO & President

Response to Advice: yes, point well taken! As of January, 2014, Orman hired an additional HR liaison to interact with all the employees and make sure reviews are on a regular schedule/

A great place to work!

I have been working at Orman Guidance Research

Pros

The biggest pro about working at Orman is if you present a skill set that they are in need of they will do everything within their power to incorporate you further in the business. Creating job titles, allocating more responsibility, even getting more hours, if you show that you're an asset they will immediately respond and work with you. The employees are very respectful and fun to be around, the management team is very accessible, and the dress code is relaxed (unless clients are around). They put a lot of commitment into their employees, offering fantastic benefits and a profit sharing plan.

Cons

It is in a very specific field of business, so to move up in the company one must learn the processes and guidelines of exactly how clients should be treated and studies are conducted.

Keep it up!

May 8, 2014CEO & President

Thanks for the nice review -- what you say under "Pros" is definitely a talk that Orman walks. As an example: in 7 short years, one of our employees is already a partner!

Orman Guidance Research Photos