Orman Guidance Research

1. Featured Review

Best job ever!

Current Employee - Specialist in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Specialist in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Orman Guidance Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I started in a part-time position and moved my way up to full-time with more responsibilities and a nice pay raise. Most employees are very friendly and the work environment is great. I am always learning and growing, both personally and with the company. I recommend this job to my friends because the hours are flexible and there is always some new, interesting study to learn about!

Cons

It can be a fast-paced environment with many different projects to learn and keep track of.

The new engagement center is wonderful, and I look forward to our company gatherings that we've talked about! Hopefully one this summer?

Jun 23, 2014CEO & President

Yes, definitely we will have a company party again this summer. It is great to get to know people better and generally just kick back -- away from the fast pace of market research. Thank you for your ... More

Exciting Time to Grow with the Best

Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Orman Guidance Research full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is in a vibrant, fast-paced and rapid growth phase. Leadership is available, supportive, experienced, and forward thinking - most of all passionate! The company is building on a strong reputation for being progressive in the industry of market research. It's very cool to be a part of a company that's on board with the cutting edge concept of co-creation of brands with a high level of service and committed to expanding capabilities. The sky's the limit for personal and professional growth here!

Cons

While rapid growth is great, change is never easy for employees or leadership for that matter.

Keep up the open communication and sharing of plans -- the weekly open forum is great! We want to work together to co-create the work environment!

Feb 9, 2015CEO & President

From Rosemary Sundin: We'll keep the focus on "managed" growth as much as we can; this is great feedback and we really appreciate it. Thank you!

Create your own job at Orman

Current Employee - Social Media Manager and Assistant Project Manager in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Orman Guidance Research full-time (less than a year)

Pros

When I graduated from college last year, I never imagined having the freedom and opportunity to create my own job while making a great living. That opportunity exists at Orman because of the company's success and flexibility. My input is valued, my needs as an employee are met, and I have a lot of autonomy. The relationships I have with my colleagues and supervisors are open, honest, and respectful. When I talk to management about issues or concerns I have with my job, I've received nothing but support.

Cons

As a relatively small company with many big name clients, there's never a shortage of work to be done at Orman. From the moment I walk into the office to the point when I leave for the day, there's always another task to be completed. I am thankful that leadership recognizes the heavy workload and is looking to hire more full-time staff.

Please give me as much feedback on my performance as you see necessary. I love the autonomy at Orman, but I also want to know how well my work is serving the company and how I can improve. I also ask that you continue to look for candidates that would make great project managers.

Feb 9, 2015CEO & President

Thanks for the feedback, and yes, we're looking for more talent to help even out the busy pace of the company. Business is coming in at a great pace and we will continue to foster the culture of ... More

Look elsewhere

I worked at Orman Guidance Research part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, and by that I mean you have enough time to look for other jobs.

Cons

Low pay, high turnover, work environment. Advancement comes at a cost of working more closely to CEO

Quit putting up these bogus reviews where everyone loves it and the only CON is it is a fast paced environment not for everyone.

Toxic work environment

I worked at Orman Guidance Research full-time

Pros

Office is located near many good lunch spots.

Cons

The owner is highly temperamental and emotional. Be prepared for a boss that will belittle you, scream and swear at you, and regularly cry during the workday. Company frequently mentions an open-door policy, but any disagreement with Rosemary is not tolerated. She acts in a manner that is unprofessional and abusive to her employees. The result is a culture of fear where employees are constantly waiting for her next meltdown.

Spend less time responding to reviews on Glassdoor, and more time actually trying to address the problems in your company that cause so many to post negative reviews.

Feb 6, 2015CEO & President

Rosemary here -- this is obviously a sharp personal attack so I'll respond directly.

First, while I am known for being passionate and my Love for Orman Guidance, none of us melts down over
    ... More

I always look forward going to work .

Current Employee - QSR in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - QSR in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Orman Guidance Research part-time

Pros

Everyone listens to questions or concerns and have always treated me with respect.

Cons

Market research is such a fast paced industry, and if you don't get excited about seeing a project completed and the kudos that comes along with it, then this industry is not for you.

Continue to have your open door policy, embrace everyone's suggestions and keep the 'high five' going into 2015!!!

Opportunity

I have been working at Orman Guidance Research

Pros

This is a great place to work if you want to be the one that defines your future.
    They give you the option and opportunity to establish your place in the company.

Cons

It is not a place for snails - marketing research is a faced pace environment and every work-day is different.

Keep working to develop the managers and employees that want to be managers.

Poor Experience

I have been working at Orman Guidance Research full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Type of work allows for okay experience.

Cons

Poor Management, High Turnover of employees and micromanaging of work. Every full-time non-management employee that I was working at Orman when I joined is now gone.

Invest in your employees, compensate them well and treat them with the utmost respect. Reprimand may be necessary, but it should not include raised voices or degrading comments. Reassess how you are treating your employees and your turnover may decrease. Its not them it is you!

Oct 7, 2014CEO & President

Hopefully as this employee knows, Orman is undergoing some very significant and exciting changes. More on those later. First and foremost I would like to respond to the above poster.

I would like
    ... More

Opportunity

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Orman Guidance Research full-time

Pros

Orman provides unique opportunities to the self-starters of the world. In fact, the current management team all started in entry-level positions. Positive team environment, schedule flexibility and interesting variety of projects continue to lead to longer tenures than comparable companies.

Cons

One must be able to handle the fast-paced life of a researcher: many project details to cover and they can change at a moment's notice as we fulfill the projects. Personally I like the pace but its not for everyone.

Continue to improve the training opportunities and benefit incentives

Jun 23, 2014CEO & President

Thank you for the review! As you know, we're working on the training opportunity so that managers and staff have the tools they need in order to do their jobs with confidence. We'll continue to work ... More

Career path is available

Current Employee - Management in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Management in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Orman Guidance Research full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is definitely an opportunity to contribute work and ideas that lead to growth for both the individual and the company. The staff on a track to long-term career opportunities have a great opportunity for client-facing work, and this occurs at an early stage in a person's development at the company.

Cons

The environment is often fast-paced -- there is a myriad of details to keep track of. People who rattle easily do less well at the company.

Continue to develop the training and performance-based incentive programs for those who desire a career path at the company.

May 8, 2014CEO & President

Thank you for the review. It is our goal that Orman's ongoing practice of training and performance-based incentives gets better each year. We have a new initiative in the works that allows for ... More

Orman Guidance Research Photos