www.orschelnfarmhome.com

Barry Orscheln

1. Love my job

Current Employee - Checker Stocker
    Current Employee - Checker Stocker

I have been working at Orscheln Farm and Home part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1Co workers are awesome
    2Discount is good 15%
    3Hours are good
    4They pay me well asked for $9 when I applied they said no problem and I'm a highscjool senior
    5 I have had 5 other jobs and this one is my favorite most in big retail stores
    6 they are great about working around my schedule
    7 the manager is super nice
    8 the merchandise is easy to find
    9 everyone is really helpful
    10 it's an all around awesome place to work

Cons

I don't really have any

2. Not worth it...

Current Employee - Stock Clerk in Centerville, IA
    Current Employee - Stock Clerk in Centerville, IA

I have been working at Orscheln Farm and Home part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get an employee discount, I guess.

Cons

-Low pay (I worked there a year and never got a raise, despite good reviews from customers).
    -Manager played favourites, and if you weren't one of them, you could expect to close one night and open the next morning. And even when the store manager showed up late to open, you'd damned well better be sitting in the parking lot waiting for them, or you would get a butt-chewing.
    -Poor training, especially when it came to the tire shop.
    -You can expect to be accused of theft pretty regularly there, so it's advisable to go off property for lunch and not come back with a candy bar for later. You will be asked where it came from, and probably need to show a receipt.
    -Very little chance of advancement, really. When I was there, there were openings for assistant manager that came up twice, and both times they hired outside the company. And one of the new assistants was put in charge of hiring and scheduling, so she brought in people she knew, gave them decent hours, and recommended them for raises. Meanwhile, the ones she didn't like got hours cut and ended up with the worst tasks she could find.

Advice to Management

No advice I can recommend would do any good; they're not going to listen. OF&H has a lock in most of the small towns they are in, so they think they can do whatever they please. Once I got out, I decided I'd sever all ties here, including being a customer and recommending the place to others.

Nice first job

I have been working at Orscheln Farm and Home

Pros

Getting to know the customers by name and they recognize you, small talk

Cons

promotions are awful, pay is awful, nothing is ever upgraded. Corporate offices treat ALL like they are beneath them, as if they should be kissing their feet.

5. Sick because of the stress!

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Orscheln Farm and Home part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The customers. A lot of the customers are regulars and you get to know them. I also enjoy the discount but with the prices it barely covers tax...

Cons

Where to start... As a whole my store is so disorganized. The store manager is young so the assistant managers take advantage of him and undermine is authority at every turn. He is a great manager but the assistants need to respect him! Then is the disrespect and the lack of appreciation hourly associates encounter every day. Whomever is the favorite of the week gets more appreciation than any one else.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone as equals. Instead of giving titles to the employees who have been there the longest or complain the most how about giving titles such as head cashier, key holder and such to the employees who earn it,

6. Hard, hard work

Former Employee - Stocker in Shenandoah, IA
    Former Employee - Stocker in Shenandoah, IA

I worked at Orscheln Farm and Home part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will always remember there is a job worse than this one when you get out. You will learn about a lot of things.

Cons

No real breaks. You will more than likely screw your back up from all of the feed.

A huge let down after I thought I would retire from this company.

Former Employee - Clothing Manager in Arkansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Clothing Manager in Arkansas City, KS

I worked at Orscheln Farm and Home

Pros

The customers were the best, in farm retail you bond with the regulars and miss them when you're gone.

Cons

I was expecting better pay for a multi-billion dollar company, but they only start you out at minimum wage, the pay is not fair and the raise was 16 cents......I worked there 4 years and went from 7.75 to 8.16 and was never going to get to move up the ladder although I was experienced and knowledgable of all the products.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation to the good workers and get rid of the lazy ones, there are many that will work and need a job.

8. Like working for an early 1970s company

I worked at Orscheln Farm and Home

Pros

Pay, at least for managers, is not bad. Hours aren't as long as some places I've worked

Cons

Training is a joke. Badly photocopied book that is out of date with company policies and information. This company has NO technology.

Advice to Management

Spend some money on your stores.

9. Flora, Illinois local Orscheln Store

I worked at Orscheln Farm and Home

Pros

Orscheln overall is a great company offering items not found in other community stores. Orscheln as a company seems to have a great merchandising system, and great training available.

Cons

Management at the Flora, Illinois store is constantly behind on everything. Store inventory is terribly inaccurate. The facility is very dirty, floors are disgusting. Many out dated food items are on shelves.
    Local management doesn't train employees. Incoming lower level management are not trained properly. Store rules only pertain to those management doesn't like. The store is so poorly managed that teams have to come from other stores to help catch up routine work.
    Management sidesteps basic safety training which is not is accordance with OSHA law. Management frequently cannot locate items that show on their inventory.
    Management is jealous of others who have better ideas, and try to keep them uninformed. New Managers are sabotaged at the store by other management. Teamwork at this store is nominal. Managers are competing with one another, rather than working together.
    New ideas that will improve store performance are ignored and dismissed. The attitude of Management is resistance to change, even if such resistance means the store suffers.
    When management discovers you are resigning they immediately fire you, and blame you for all their problems. The local Flora store has had many managers come and go, this indicates problems at the higher level.
    District Management doesn't communicate with anyone but the store manager, assuring they don't have to deal with the issues facing lower level management and employees.

Advice to Management

There is no way to advise local management because they aren't really managers. Advice to corporate might be beneficial if one could reach them. The store needs a Manager. Managers that are hired need to be allowed to implement change that will correct the deficiencies in the store. The store offers great items and is in a great community. A real aggressive management team could make the Flora store very profitable and provide a wonderful shopping experience. The local store and it's mismanagement is not reflective of Orscheln overall. I was quite impressed with Orscheln as a company, but they certainly need better oversight of their local stores.

10. Great company to work for

I worked at Orscheln Farm and Home

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Possibly pay their hourly employees a little more

11. It's a good job while in school

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Orscheln Farm and Home part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, good staff for the most part, decent part time pay

Cons

Constantly out of stock on desired products, Way over stocked on undesired over priced products, Terrible replenishment system, stack out requirements are inneficient, disconnected upper management, Corporate doesn't appreciate their loyal full time employees and only cares about the money

Advice to Management

I would take a long hard look at my replenishment system. The one in place right now is not working and you are losing sales on out of stocks. The inventory levels are so high on other things that they either get lost over time or damaged. There is no reason to have as much inventory in the store as you do and is only costing you money. Try to listen to your people in the stores sometimes, especially your managers because they are your front line employees and know the needs of the stores better than you, this is an invaluable asset. Another thing I would look at is your stack out policy, this too only costs you money. The time that employees spend on these is such a waste and you would could shrink your staffing needs if feed could just be set out on pallets as they come in from RSC. That is what every other feed store does. I would get rid of the sales every week. I understand it is a marketing technique to get people in there, but you would not believe the complaints I get from everyone about the high prices on our products. Customers complain on a daily basis about the high prices. They can go down the road and get their feed and other products a lot cheaper. Just drop the prices on your products and get rid of the sales. It's sad that even myself an employee with a discount will not shop at your store because I can find a better deal on about everything elsewhere. Lastly, stop with the gimicky products. No one wants to buy a cheap looking bear making kit for $80 at a farm store. It just makes us look bad. So all in all focus on what you are, a farm store. Farmers want to shop here, but refuse to buy your farm stuff because it's so much higher than everywhere else. Stop focusing on the hobby farmer and start focusing on the true farmer where the money is at.

Orscheln Farm and Home Photos