Orscheln Farm and Home

www.orschelnfarmhome.com

Orscheln Farm and Home Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014
Orscheln Farm and Home – “Orscheln Farm and Home”

Barry Orscheln

Great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood company to work for

ConsPossibly pay their hourly employees a little more

Flora, Illinois local Orscheln Store

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOrscheln overall is a great company offering items not found in other community stores. Orscheln as a company seems to have a great merchandising system, and great training available.

ConsManagement at the Flora, Illinois store is constantly behind on everything. Store inventory is terribly inaccurate. The facility is very dirty, floors are disgusting. Many out dated food items are on shelves.
    Local management doesn't train employees. Incoming lower level management are not trained properly. Store rules only pertain to those management doesn't like. The store is so poorly managed that teams have to come from other stores to help catch up routine work.
    Management sidesteps basic safety training which is not is accordance with OSHA law. Management frequently cannot locate items that show on their inventory.
    Management is jealous of others who have better ideas, and try to keep them uninformed. New Managers are sabotaged at the store by other management. Teamwork at this store is nominal. Managers are competing with one another, rather than working together.
    New ideas that will improve store performance are ignored and dismissed. The attitude of Management is resistance to change, even if such resistance means the store suffers.
    When management discovers you are resigning they immediately fire you, and blame you for all their problems. The local Flora store has had many managers come and go, this indicates problems at the higher level.
    District Management doesn't communicate with anyone but the store manager, assuring they don't have to deal with the issues facing lower level management and employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no way to advise local management because they aren't really managers. Advice to corporate might be beneficial if one could reach them. The store needs a Manager. Managers that are hired need to be allowed to implement change that will correct the deficiencies in the store. The store offers great items and is in a great community. A real aggressive management team could make the Flora store very profitable and provide a wonderful shopping experience. The local store and it's mismanagement is not reflective of Orscheln overall. I was quite impressed with Orscheln as a company, but they certainly need better oversight of their local stores.

It's a good job while in school

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible hours, good staff for the most part, decent part time pay

ConsConstantly out of stock on desired products, Way over stocked on undesired over priced products, Terrible replenishment system, stack out requirements are inneficient, disconnected upper management, Corporate doesn't appreciate their loyal full time employees and only cares about the money

Advice to Senior ManagementI would take a long hard look at my replenishment system. The one in place right now is not working and you are losing sales on out of stocks. The inventory levels are so high on other things that they either get lost over time or damaged. There is no reason to have as much inventory in the store as you do and is only costing you money. Try to listen to your people in the stores sometimes, especially your managers because they are your front line employees and know the needs of the stores better than you, this is an invaluable asset. Another thing I would look at is your stack out policy, this too only costs you money. The time that employees spend on these is such a waste and you would could shrink your staffing needs if feed could just be set out on pallets as they come in from RSC. That is what every other feed store does. I would get rid of the sales every week. I understand it is a marketing technique to get people in there, but you would not believe the complaints I get from everyone about the high prices on our products. Customers complain on a daily basis about the high prices. They can go down the road and get their feed and other products a lot cheaper. Just drop the prices on your products and get rid of the sales. It's sad that even myself an employee with a discount will not shop at your store because I can find a better deal on about everything elsewhere. Lastly, stop with the gimicky products. No one wants to buy a cheap looking bear making kit for $80 at a farm store. It just makes us look bad. So all in all focus on what you are, a farm store. Farmers want to shop here, but refuse to buy your farm stuff because it's so much higher than everywhere else. Stop focusing on the hobby farmer and start focusing on the true farmer where the money is at.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

does not value employees

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsNever got bored because there was always plenty of work.

ConsWorked you to death for minimal pay and virtually no raises

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are killing your management with 70 hour weeks and no training after initial. I don't think Barry has any idea how life actually is in the Stores

Its good.

ProsSome of the best reasons to work at Orscheln Farm and Home is because its a good place to grow.

ConsSome downsides to working for Orscheln Farm and Home is that there aren't many raises that are given and if there are they aren't much different.

Not a good place to work at all.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIt's a job which is something in todays economy.

ConsStore managers have very little freedom to manage their store. When the job ads say "working manager" it is a gross under statement. Remember it is a farm store. That means the store manager stacks as many 50 pound bags of feed, and a lot of time more, than the kids that work for you. You have virtually no time to get your administrative or office work done. They offer very little support from DMs regarding H.R. issues and then demand that the manager work even more manual labor to cover for the kids that you can not get to be productive. I would give Orscheln 5 negatives stores for an employer.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet managers manage. Of course they should be working managers but with in reason. Granted production from associates needs to be better in most stores but to achieve that there must be support from upper management. Very frustrating to meet expectations when you are hamstrung.

Not as advertised, but great rural base of customers and great products.

Store Manager Trainee (Former Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsTakes little agricultural experience to get the job, but it sure helps to do your job. Great pay for someone out of college with an ag degree...especially nowadays.

ConsNot a "family-oriented" workplace as they advertise. Be prepared to work Thanksgiving Day and Easter. You'd better be willing to relocate. There are a lot of great managers and regional managers, but definitely a disconnect with corporate. If you work their "ideal" manager schedule, you'll rarely get two days off in a row.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop advertising yourself as a "family-oriented" workplace when you are clearly not. Also, is it so difficult to smile and be friendly to those at the regional and store level; instead of just try to scare the heck out of everyone.

A great company to work for.

Associate Store Manager (Former Employee) Moberly, MO

ProsIf you enjoy customer service and meeting people, this company's for you.

ConsLower pay and physically demanding job.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers do not always tell the truth.

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Flora, IL

ProsI can't think of one pro.

ConsThe job is BORING. Very few customers. Management doesn't let employees be creative or listen to new ideas. No room for advancement even though they advertise that they do. The pay in minimum wage and no benefits. High turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your employees to feel like part of a team. Allow them to be creative with displays and expect them to do their job to a high rate of standard. Clean for place up! Just because it's a farm store, that doesn't mean that customers want to see a filthy floor!

Need more upper management support

Store Manager (Current Employee) Shelbyville, IN

ProsNot as high pressure as other big box retailers.

ConsNeed more support from DMs when dealing with H.R. issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be advantageous to have the DMs back up the store manager's more pro actively.

Worked for Orscheln Farm and Home? Contribute to the Community!