Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics

Updated Feb 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Eric Compton

It was a great learning experience.

External Operations Co-op (Current Employee)
Raritan, NJ

I have been working at Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics as an intern for less than a year

ProsI had a great supervisor that gave me a lot of responsibility.

ConsThere aren't as many full-time opportunities after being a co-op for over a year as I had hoped there would be.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel like my team's management was awesome; no advice necessary.

Was part of J&J but being divested

Raritan, NJ

I have been working at Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLots of nice people to work with.

ConsNo movement within the company

Good Company to work for but slow pace

Procurement Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics as a contractor for more than a year

ProsChallenging tasks, room for improvement in processes, great staff

Consslow pace, a lot of politics

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication needed

A professional work environment with opportunity to advance

Scientist I (Current Employee)
Raritan, NJ

ProsIt is a friendly professional environment. There is room to grow if networked with the right people

ConsLeadership can be ineffective at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency regarding personal development and advancement opportunity

Disappointed - A waste of time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics full-time

ProsJ&J Benefits, Low stress environment

ConsWas redheaded step child of J&J

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the politics and focus on improvement.

CLS and ASCP Certified

Tech Support (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics

ProsAble to work from home if necessary.

ConsMid-level supv. tend to micromanage to excess.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some talented people working for you. Please have mid-level supv. acknowledge the effort and compassion that Tech Support offers and not micromanage an already semi-stressed team.

Overall very satisfactory experience and opportunities, mostly because of the people and direct management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics

ProsGreat group of people to work with, very dedicated to the customers and the company. Quality products, people very proud of the work they do. Always trying to do the best job possible for the customers. Relationships internally and with customers has traditionally been the most incredible part of the organization.

ConsDue to downsizing throughout the past couple of years, very difficult to do the best job possible. Customer focus is decreasing due to the need to deliver to the company bottom line. Many people are becoming more dissatisfied with the direction of company. Long-time employees looking forward to and hoping to stay employed until retirement is possible. Sr. Leadership from other areas of J&J who do not have diagnostics experience. Cannot operate the same as a consumer or pharma business.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease know that you have some of the most dedicated, quality individuals in this company. Please do remember what the credo is all about and know that this really would work if you stay true to the credo right side up. Many times it seems that the leadership and company decisions are flipping the credo over with the stockholders interests #1. This is a company that has survived much adversity, but it was the people and the

OCD is a good place to retire, but not to grow

Quality Engineer (Current Employee)
Miami, FL

I have been working at Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics

ProsBeing part of Johnson & Johnson is a huge benefit because you get access to discounts on consumer and medical products. Many of the employees at OCD are "lifers, so there is a high level of expertise about their products and immunohematology/ medical diagnostics that is hard to find elsewhere.

ConsOCD subscribes to the old work culture of giving your blood, sweat and tears to the company with little reward. Recent cutbacks in staffing, salary increases and education funding and an increased fear of being the next to go have made for a high stress enviroment. Most employees work 10 -12 hour days and are afraid to ask for time off, and working from home or having flex-hours is rarely allowed. And, since the technology hasn't changed much in 10 years, there is little motivation to encourage employees to further their education, so it's not a good place for someone that is trying to grow in their career.

Another issue is communication from Senior managment... it's either lacking information (think politicians not answering questions directly) or is non existant. The majority of the staff believes that their management is either lying or hiding something and many are in constant fear of loosing their jobs. To make matters worse, the recent press about some consumer recalls has tarnished the reputation of Johnson & Johnson, which has drive sales and morale down even futher.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open and honest with your employees and be more open minded to change. We're in the 21st century, so it's time to stop living in the dark ages! Offer more eductaion and let some new ideas in and maybe you'll stop loosing young, talented employes that are looking for more.

Ortho Clinical Diagnostics

I have been working at Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics

ProsOrho Clinical Diagnostics makes products that help diagnose and save lives. Working for a company with products like this feels good.

ConsAt OCD there are limited growth opportunities outside of New Jersey. Couple that with an organization that is very entrenched in their ways makes it difficult for young emerging talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrtho Clinical Diagnostics has a great inherent product, better than the competition and although it is a business that needs to increase sales they should not loose sight of the customer.

A great place to work

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics

ProsThey treat you like a proffesional and have a great work life balance. They also encourage you to grow and to take on new challenges.

ConsThere is a lot of job rotation, which on one hand is good for employee growth, but on the other hand, can cause a lot of instability when there are a lot of rotations at once.

Advice to Senior ManagementDue to the high volume of job rotations, I would require that all positions have clear written documenation of their job duties.

Worked for Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics CEO Eric Compton. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics employees.