Orvis Company Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
26 reviews filtered by
3.7
Perk Perkins Jr.

1. Orvis has a rich history and a great corporate history. I would recommend to anyone who loves the outdoors.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Orvis Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tremendous career opportunities. Company is continually growing.

Cons

The home offices is in Sunderland, VT. Although in most ways this is a Pro, it also has its cons.

2. Pleasant work experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Orvis Company part-time (more than a year)

Pros

This was a nice place to work.. good people, great hours. They're not open late so you're never stuck there too far into the evening like working at the mall. Also, the employee discount is killer. They're dog friendly so that helps with the work environment, as well. It's relaxed because the foot traffic isn't like that of a bigger more well-known store.

Cons

The negatives are truly hard to think of.. if you're just looking for a basic part-time job it'll be hard to beat the laid back nature and decent compensation.

The management I worked with were kind and attentive.

3. Sales

I have been working at Orvis Company

Pros

Nice customers and a store discount.

Cons

VERY LOW PAY!!!!
    Managers play "favorites"
    Company does not hire minorities & women are not valued!!!!

5. Great Company With a Great Culture

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Sunderland, VT
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Sunderland, VT

I have been working at Orvis Company

Pros

Great working environment in terms of company culture.
    Very open door even at the C Level, and the CEO is also the owner so he truly cares about the company.
    Corporate culture is relaxed, Jeans every day if you like, button downs or polo's with no ties.
    Time for salaried employees is usually very flexible, working from home is somewhat common but not widespread, this really depends on your direct reporting manager.

Cons

Lack of Standardization across systems and departments, an aging infrastructure and some under-staffing ins specific areas leads to a slightly unorganized system.
    Compensation is low retaliative to other companies, particularly in surrounding cities like Albany or Boston, but cost of living is also lower.
    Health insurance is not great, particularly after the recent reform, if given the option a spouses plan may be a better option.

Organization seems top heavy at times, a huge number of VP's, Directors, Managers, Supervisors etc... from the bottom looking up it seems like there are more people managing the workers than there are workers. Decrease the number of management levels and use the free'ed up capital to pay additional staff.

6. Wasteful

I worked at Orvis Company

Pros

Great discounts on everything they sell.

Cons

Believe it or not this conservation-first company is pretty wasteful... a lot of things are thrown away that could be recycled.

When you hire new staff in a retail location, spend some time training them rather than leaving them to figure it out on their own.

7. Amazing people, great company

Former Employee - Retail Associate in Jackson Hole, WY
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in Jackson Hole, WY

I worked at Orvis Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Family atmosphere, enjoyable work, compensation is competitive, discount on all products

Cons

selling high priced items, difficult customers

Management in my opinion was great the entire time I was with the company. Managers seem to stay with the company for a fair amount of time.

8. Good

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Orvis Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great customers. Great products. Very good environment. Great employe discounts on everything.

Cons

They hire too much staff around the holidays so commission is cut substantially by almost half. They move up staff instead of hiring well trained managers.

Hire managers from the outside that come in with new skills sets. Moving up staff to management can create problems among staff.

9. Great medium-sized family-owned company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VT

I worked at Orvis Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Orvis is a family-owned company with a long standing history... they are known for quality product, and their preservation efforts (Orvis donates 5% of their pre-tax profits to nature preservation). The location of corporate offices is in a tranquil southern Vermont town on a pristine piece of land (Bear preserve). There is a pond to practice fly-fishing techniques on, and small wildlife like Foxes can occasionally be seen visiting the pond. For those who enjoy rural setting, Orvis is a great place to work.

Cons

I don't really have much negative to say - I think it comes to preference. I was looking to move to a more urban location, which is one of the main reasons I left. The only other thing, from a young female professional's point of view - there seemed to have been a bit of a "Man's Club" atmosphere among upper management... I couldn't really see myself advancing easily to one of the top positions within a reasonable time-frame... you really should enjoy and embrace the lifestyle (hunting, fishing, etc) in order to shoot for the stars (and it just wasn't me, culturally).

These guys know their brand - the business has been in the family for a long time, and they know what they're doing... I think it would be amazing if they gave their employees an opportunity to cross-train / work one-week each year in some remote location (a retail store, or an outlet maybe) - for those in corporate offices with monotone day-to-day jobs, it would give everyone an opportunity to get to know the customer, give some diversity to the job, and a mini-vacation of sorts (while still in effect 'working')...

10. Key Holder

Current Employee - Key Holder in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at Orvis Company part-time (more than a year)

Pros

great employee discount.
    MY manager is good to work for, a flexible pro
    scheduling flexibility (my mgr, again)

Cons

zero advancement - dead end position
    parttime positions only
    slow seasons
    low basic pay (typical retail, however)
    few parttime benefits

none

11. Good, but poor management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miramar Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miramar Beach, FL

I worked at Orvis Company part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good discount, flexible hours, good compensation

Cons

Bad management, poor handling of problematic issues between employees

Respond in a timely manner to conflicts between your employees that cannot be resolved without upper management help.