Orvis Company

Add Photos

Perk Perkins Jr.

Great company - great people

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat staff, wonderful store manager

Consnot really any downside to working for Orvis

Great Place to Work

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Middleton, WI

Pros- Awesome Management
    - Great Co-Workers
    - Product Knowledge
    - Employee discount
    ** Just an overall great place to work, just wish I was still working for them.

Cons- Getting laid-off due to the location not generating enough revenue to keep all of the staff hired. That is literally my only complaint, and then it's not really their fault.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere really is nothing to say for advice because, my time spent with them was great. I would definitely recommend working for them, out of the 8+ years I have worked in retail, they were one of my favorite places to work.

Learned a lot about retail, the outdoors, and myself while working here

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsAt a time they had wonderful and unique items, and buyers that went all over the world.

ConsThey got rid of a fabulous manager and hired a terrible one. Fly-fishing and outdoor merchandise is some of the best with the knowledge base to sell it, rest of the clothing skews bland and older now.

Advice to Senior ManagementOutdoor clothing companies are madly followed and inspire fashion trends. You could use a tastemaker in there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I loved working at Orvis

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI really enjoyed my time working at Orvis. The town and setting was absolutely beautiful and I progressed through a number of roles that I found challenging over the years. As in any work setting, my work experiences varied depending on my direct manager, but most of the people I worked for were supportive and I felt as though we were partners. Being a mid-sized company allowed me the chance to learn a lot of different skills while still having substantial exposure to upper management.

ConsWhile Manchester is a beautiful town, it's a difficult place for two career oriented people to make it work since there are not many other employers. My impression is also that the salaries are somewhat lower here because of the lack of direct competition.

Great Benefits and an amazing company

Gift Wrap/Packaging (Current Employee) Roanoke, VA

ProsFun people to work with, amazing discounts and benefits and tons of overtime, holidays off, great management. Different shifts you can choose from [mornings or night]

ConsLong hours and a loud warehouse enviroment

They are a fast growing company that offers a culture of transparency

Keyholder (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsRegularly interact with higher ups, growth potential

ConsQ4 company. most business and commission in the months leading up to christmas

Advice to Senior Managementkeep on keeping on

Wonderful Company to Work for

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Downingtown, PA

Prosgood hours and store atmosphere

ConsNone very pleasant place to work

Advice to Senior Managementgood job

A good place to work

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI'm a fisherman so working for Orvis was great in that respect. There are a lot of fringe benefits if you're a fisherman working for Orvis. They have a great employee discount. They have yearly fishing manager meetings at their headquarters in Vermont which is a good time.
    They also have a yearly meeting for their store managers. The Orvis company has a great culture and donates a lot of money to charity.

ConsRetail doesn't pay very well and Orvis is no exception. Many of the guys I know that work for Orvis do it because of the focus on fly fishing and not they pay. Another con is that they focus mainly on an older demographic for their clothing so although you get a great discount on clothes, if you're under the age of 50 you might not want to wear any of them.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeparate your fly fishing sections from the rest of the store. I don't know any fisherman that wants to walk through women's clothing, or sports jackets in order to buy flies. Also, let the employees play music. The music choices are terrible.

Orvis

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood people and great discount.

ConsVery low commission, sometimes over staffed on sales floor.

A reasonably fun job, if you're not doing it for the money

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros--Understanding managers. Each store is small, and the managers have usually worked in sales positions, so they're good about helping you learn the rops and juggle your schedule.
    --Pretty flexible scheduling. I worked there for about five months and never had a problem finding someone to cover my shift when I needed it.
    --Terrific employee discount. It's 50%. Trouble is you won't have a lot of money to buy stuff if Orvis is your only job, and the goods are expensive.

Cons--Weak pay. I made less than $9/hr. That's a tough wage to get by on in Chicago, though perhaps typical for retail.
    -- The benefits that are out of reach. I was told when I came on that I probably wouldn't opt in.
    --Not a lot of room for advancement, if you're looking for it. There just aren't a lot of managerial slots, unless you're looking to relocate.
    --It's tough to get the hours you need. Again, this is nothing new in retail.
    --It can be a little stuffy. This is Orvis.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor a small company, it doesn't always feel very small. It'd be nice to hear from management in Manchester directly sometimes.

Worked for Orvis Company? Contribute to the Community!