Orvis Company Reviews

Great company - great people

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Orvis Company part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great staff, wonderful store manager

Cons

not really any downside to working for Orvis

Good

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Orvis Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great customers. Great products. Very good environment. Great employe discounts on everything.

Cons

They hire too much staff around the holidays so commission is cut substantially by almost half. They move up staff instead of hiring well trained managers.

Hire managers from the outside that come in with new skills sets. Moving up staff to management can create problems among staff.

Great medium-sized family-owned company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VT

I worked at Orvis Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Orvis is a family-owned company with a long standing history... they are known for quality product, and their preservation efforts (Orvis donates 5% of their pre-tax profits to nature preservation). The location of corporate offices is in a tranquil southern Vermont town on a pristine piece of land (Bear preserve). There is a pond to practice fly-fishing techniques on, and small wildlife like Foxes can occasionally be seen visiting the pond. For those who enjoy rural setting, Orvis is a great place to work.

Cons

I don't really have much negative to say - I think it comes to preference. I was looking to move to a more urban location, which is one of the main reasons I left. The only other thing, from a young female professional's point of view - there seemed to have been a bit of a "Man's Club" atmosphere among upper management... I couldn't really see myself advancing easily to one of the top positions within a reasonable time-frame... you really should enjoy and embrace the lifestyle (hunting, fishing, etc) in order to shoot for the stars (and it just wasn't me, culturally).

These guys know their brand - the business has been in the family for a long time, and they know what they're doing... I think it would be amazing if they gave their employees an opportunity to cross-train / work one-week each year in some remote location (a retail store, or an outlet maybe) - for those in corporate offices with monotone day-to-day jobs, it would give everyone an opportunity to get to know the customer, give some diversity to the job, and a mini-vacation of sorts (while still in effect 'working')...

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Middleton, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Middleton, WI

I worked at Orvis Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Awesome Management
    - Great Co-Workers
    - Product Knowledge
    - Employee discount
    ** Just an overall great place to work, just wish I was still working for them.

Cons

- Getting laid-off due to the location not generating enough revenue to keep all of the staff hired. That is literally my only complaint, and then it's not really their fault.

There really is nothing to say for advice because, my time spent with them was great. I would definitely recommend working for them, out of the 8+ years I have worked in retail, they were one of my favorite places to work.

Learned a lot about retail, the outdoors, and myself while working here

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Orvis Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

At a time they had wonderful and unique items, and buyers that went all over the world.

Cons

They got rid of a fabulous manager and hired a terrible one. Fly-fishing and outdoor merchandise is some of the best with the knowledge base to sell it, rest of the clothing skews bland and older now.

Outdoor clothing companies are madly followed and inspire fashion trends. You could use a tastemaker in there.

I loved working at Orvis

I worked at Orvis Company

Pros

I really enjoyed my time working at Orvis. The town and setting was absolutely beautiful and I progressed through a number of roles that I found challenging over the years. As in any work setting, my work experiences varied depending on my direct manager, but most of the people I worked for were supportive and I felt as though we were partners. Being a mid-sized company allowed me the chance to learn a lot of different skills while still having substantial exposure to upper management.

Cons

While Manchester is a beautiful town, it's a difficult place for two career oriented people to make it work since there are not many other employers. My impression is also that the salaries are somewhat lower here because of the lack of direct competition.

Great Benefits and an amazing company

Current Employee - Gift Wrap/Packaging  in  Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Gift Wrap/Packaging in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Orvis Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun people to work with, amazing discounts and benefits and tons of overtime, holidays off, great management. Different shifts you can choose from [mornings or night]

Cons

Long hours and a loud warehouse enviroment

They are a fast growing company that offers a culture of transparency

Current Employee - Keyholder  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Keyholder in New York, NY

I have been working at Orvis Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Regularly interact with higher ups, growth potential

Cons

Q4 company. most business and commission in the months leading up to christmas

keep on keeping on

Wonderful Company to Work for

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Downingtown, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Downingtown, PA

I have been working at Orvis Company part-time for less than a year

Pros

good hours and store atmosphere

Cons

None very pleasant place to work

good job

A good place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Orvis Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I'm a fisherman so working for Orvis was great in that respect. There are a lot of fringe benefits if you're a fisherman working for Orvis. They have a great employee discount. They have yearly fishing manager meetings at their headquarters in Vermont which is a good time.
    They also have a yearly meeting for their store managers. The Orvis company has a great culture and donates a lot of money to charity.

Cons

Retail doesn't pay very well and Orvis is no exception. Many of the guys I know that work for Orvis do it because of the focus on fly fishing and not they pay. Another con is that they focus mainly on an older demographic for their clothing so although you get a great discount on clothes, if you're under the age of 50 you might not want to wear any of them.

Separate your fly fishing sections from the rest of the store. I don't know any fisherman that wants to walk through women's clothing, or sports jackets in order to buy flies. Also, let the employees play music. The music choices are terrible.

Worked for Orvis Company? Contribute to the Community!