Oryx

Michael Cosper

Exciting Company

Former Employee - Account Executive in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Nashville, TN

I worked at Oryx as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Training is hands-on, company values team very much and shows it by giving contests, bonuses, buying lunch, etc. Managers are VERY nice and welcoming of everyone.

Cons

It's a newer company, but I would much rather work with a new company than a large corporation because it's more personable.

The way you've started the company, with including team members in vital discussions, is really nice. Made me feel like I'm a part of something bigger.

Dec 5, 2014President

Thank you very much for the kind words. Hopefully you gained some very valuable experience during your internship!

Not for me

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Oryx full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun company culture and good people.

Cons

Long days. Pay isn't what is described. Only the top few actually make money. No matter how they describe it the truth is you are working sales for commission.

Be honest about pay and possibilities.

Dec 5, 2014President

Thank you for your review. We always love to hear the kind words about our people and are always looking for ways to improve our processes. I am truly sorry that compensation was not communicated ... More

It's ok

I worked at Oryx full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The energy with the young staff was great. It was nice to see young people be very productive.

Cons

Basically an all commission job. No medical, car, or 401k options. The hours were way too long.

I thought it was an ok company if you have no other options. I did so I decided not to stay. The hours were way longer than expected for an all commission job. The sales strategies seemed pretty bad. It's basically teaching HR or sales techniques to the uneducated. Anybody could do it. Agreed with another reviewer. I couldn't see myself taking it seriously with a degree. There were several red flags for me. Especially the size of the staff, the promise of opening your own territory within 6 months (chuckles), and the unpaid lunch. My unpaid internships even paid for lunch interviews. And title of account manager is really not that impressive. It's basically a Direct TV sales rep inside Walmart. I don't know how that's sustainable within even the next five years. That being said the staff seemed friendly.

Oct 20, 2014President

Thank you for you feedback and positive words about our teams energy and motivation.

I am sorry that the real focus for us was not explained clearly enough. While DirecTV is our main client and we
    ... More

Try not to get lost in the fold.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Lake Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Lake Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Oryx full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Loved working with the people there. Can be a good source of income. Easy job, you stand in wal-mart or best buys selling directv at a good amount of commission. Hours are long but your day is broken down to make it go by fast.

Cons

It felt to me that when you come out of the gate you have all the attention and support you need. However if sales is not your strong suit and you start to fall behind, it kinda feels they go on to the next one and you stuck treading water. It almost feels that you start, get promoted in a week or two, and are then training the next group, even though you, yourself, do not have it down completely. The turnover is so high that at that point if you ask for help, there are very few who can help then it's just a matter of time before being let go or quitting in frustration.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for the management, if anything I would say I feel it shouldn't be looked down on if a team member does not show up to team functions after work. Some members do drive a lot and enjoy their time home.

Oct 20, 2014President

Thank you for the kind words about our culture and management team! We take great pride in providing our team with a positive work environment and all of the resources they need in order to be ... More

Average Sales Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Oryx full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people and great atmosphere.

Cons

You have to work your butt off to get paid

Great Opportunity and Culture

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Oryx (more than a year)

Pros

Since most people only take the time to write reviews when they have a negative experience, I thought I would share mine. I have been with Oryx since graduating from college in May. While most companies are looking for experience and not willing to give it, Oryx was more interested in my character and intangibles. Since starting, I have worked on two campaigns doing business to business and retail sales, traveled and networked with many other professionals in my field. While I see where someone complained about compensation, I have made very good money ($125/sale) but it is because I am not focused on making the bare minimum like some are. That attitude will not get you far in this company or any other.

Cons

I honestly have no complaints. No company will ever make everyone happy or be perfect but for a young growing company I have been satisfied.

Keep it up. The great thing about working here is the managers (Michael Cosper and Angel Jacome) are very involved. They go to the field and show everyone how they can improve. I have never liked working for someone who is not willing to do the things they ask of their employees and that has never been an issue here. They are also laid back but hold me and others accountable.

Oct 20, 2014President

Thank you for the kind words. Making this type of impact on a persons career is a big motivation for us!

Drawn to Rapid Advancement

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Oryx full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Oryx, Inc. is a great working environment. I love that you have 100% control over your own success and advancement. I have always dreamed of being a business owner, so naturally, I was drawn to the rapid advancement that Oryx had to offer. I have gained so much knowledge from working at Oryx, much more than I had from college.

Cons

I honestly do not have any cons to working for Oryx. I truly enjoy coming into work everyday to build my career alongside other motivated individuals.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Oct 20, 2014President

Thank you for the positive feedback! We love working with motivated and positive people like you!

Amazing Team and Learning Opportunity

Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Oryx full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have been a member of the team at Oryx, Inc. for 7 months and wanted to share a little about my experience. Once I graduated college in May I immediately started the job hunt. Attending career fairs, submitting my resume online and even networking with my parents friends.

When I came across Oryx, Inc. I knew it was the place for me because of the laid back but professional culture. I saw an opportunity to get my foot in the door and learn about what it means to be in the professional world. Since starting I have worked with two different clients, traveled and built amazing relationships.

I would never say this is a career for everyone but for someone like me, who was looking for experience, a great culture and an opportunity, it is worth your time to check Oryx out.

Cons

This company expects high standards and work ethic from everyone in the office and at times can be difficult but it teaches everyone to push themselves.

None. I have enjoyed my time here and look forward to a long term career with the company.

Oct 20, 2014President

Thank you for the kind words and you are exactly right. We hold everyone to high standards because we feel it is the only way people can grow. Thanks to people like you, we are also able to grow as a ... More

A fun and growing company!

Current Employee - Recruiter/Administrator in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Recruiter/Administrator in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Oryx full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Oryx gives me the opportunity to meet a lot of different people. This company has also helped me fine tune my people skills and provides me with a professional work environment. During the time that I have spent with Oryx, I feel that I have become a better worker and I am excited to see where I can go within this company.

Cons

Oryx is a company that requires a lot of hard work, time and effort. Building a career can be very challenging; so if you are not looking for a career, this may not be the job for you.

Oct 20, 2014President

I love reading everyone talking about how great our company culture is! Thanks for the kind words. And as far as the challenges in the company, if someones job was easy, everyone would be able to do ... More

Good first job.

Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Oryx full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good people and fun culture.

Cons

No money, work all weekends.

N/A

Oct 20, 2014President

Thank you for taking the time write your review. We will never tire from hearing about how much people enjoy our culture. Since we are in the "client" business, we must come through for them. As far ... More