Osborn & Barr Reviews

Michael Turley

1. Blue Chip Clients

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Osborn & Barr (More than a year)

Pros

Blue Chip clients in agricultural communications = great for experience and resume Company structure allows for promotions, bonuses, salary increases Pays well

Cons

A bit of a sweat shop (sorry, guys) Not necessarily good relationships with key clients (love/hate on both sides)

Advice to Management

Better work/life balance is a consideration

2. O+B = Ag Expertise

Former Employee - Account Supervisor - Advertising in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor - Advertising in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Osborn & Barr full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

O+B is very focused on the Ag and rural marketplace and has never pretended otherwise. It is a marketing communication firm. It serves clients and serves them well. Good people with positive and can do attitudes. Management does care, in my opinion. The negative reviews reflect a sour grape type of worker that wants things handed to them. Work hard, it is noticed.

Cons

If you want to work on Nike, this isn't your shop BUT if you are passionate about Ag and rural America it is. More diverse work is needed to keep up with the marketplace. They are getting there.

Advice to Management

I spent nine years of my career with O+B. It was a journey, like any other, with ups and downs but overall a very rewarding and positive experience. I landed my new job because I learned so much at O+B.

Mediocre at best

Current Employee - PR Account Executive
    Current Employee - PR Account Executive

I have been working at Osborn & Barr

Pros

Some good leadership. Beautiful work space.

Cons

This is the place to work if openly rude and disrespectful management is your thing. Mediocrity is rampant here. Show initative and you'll find resentment.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Don't let mediocre people who don't produce results keep everyone else down. Senior managent is good--middle management is where the issues lie.

5. So-So

Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Osborn & Barr

Pros

The intern program is very good and hands-on. When I first started I loved it and the atmosphere. It is a sink or swim start but you gain great experiences and have the chance to do the same work as your full-time counterparts. There are also free snacks/food offered frequently and paid holidays to interns. Being a block from Busch Stadium and being downtown near a lot of attractions is also a huge plus!

Cons

The further we got in though, it became very unfair. People that were way ahead in the project were rarely getting praise while those who were more behind were being given incentive prizes to make them work harder. Some were later offered full-time positions during it yet some of work was being handed off to other interns to finish for them. Quite a few interns were kept on for a second go doing the same thing as full-time employees for lower pay or moved to other areas doing stuff that has nothing to do with their career interest. Communication was also lacking between managers and interns throughout most of the term.

Advice to Management

Be sure to always introduce your interns to the whole team and vise versa. Even when people get moved around, you still want interns to feel like part of the team. Have weekly meetings for both sides to get updates and know how things are going. Communicate clearly and honestly with them. It will enhance the program to the very top.

Ag stands more for aggravation than agriculture

Former Employee - Creative in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Creative in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Osborn & Barr

Pros

Downtown location was convenient and historic building made for unique work environment

Cons

The most disorganized ad agency I've ever worked for. Contempt between creative and account was palpable. Account people set creatives up to fail. Work processes confused. Absolutely no interest in ideas, and not much ability to come up with any. Agency lost business I was hired to work on within a few months.

Advice to Management

Hardly ever saw management. Do they exist?

Jun 23, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate your feedback and your candor. We apologize that you had a less than satisfactory experience. Let us assure you, management does exist and our management team takes feedback like ... More

Production artist

Former Employee - Production Artist in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Production Artist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Osborn & Barr full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very nice office space, excellent location, got good snack, fruits and coffee.

Cons

Hostile environment for people of color. Very difficult to grow professionally for women in creative dept. No job stability. Terrible management, and whatever you do, don't go to HR. They are the worst.

Advice to Management

Don't bring back employees you have already fired years ago, thinking that they will solve things. That's not how it works.

Jun 4, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We take any and all feedback very seriously and are always striving for improvement. To clarify, Osborn Barr has always been and continues to be an equal opportunity ... More

8. It's an agency...

Former Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Osborn & Barr full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, fun employees, decent benefits, good clients with history. Agricultural focused with history behind them.

Cons

Terrible pay, no support from HR, no support for Kansas City office, lack of communication for organization changes. Young employee who was given little opportunity to grow and upper management was not supportive.

Advice to Management

Do not let supervisors degrade younger employees. If employees are expected to pay for client expenses out of pocket pay better salaries.

Apr 9, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience at Osborn Barr. We are sorry to learn that you feel that you did not get enough support. As you know, O+B has an open door policy and we ... More

9. Good opportunities, but no unified direction.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Osborn & Barr full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people- enthusiastic, friendly and collaborative. If you are a team player, O+B will be a great fit. Excellent roster of brands and clients. Good pay and benefits Focused on niche industry. Supportive leadership.

Cons

Dysfunctional sense of direction from a leadership perspective. O+B has very strange divisions amongst the leadership team and let's stereotypical internal and client politics negate any potential positive momentum. Desperately trying to force a company culture. Misuse of employee talent. While there is a wide range of clients, the segment they are in offers limited budget, spending and overall growth.

Advice to Management

I feel pretty strongly that O+B is its own worst enemy. Embrace your staff's natural talent and listen to them. There are so many people in this agency that are forced into the wrong roles and in-turn underutilized. Limit the closed door conversations and be open about the financial status of the company. Don't rely on 2-3 big clients to grow your business. They have all hit their peak and will eventually move on. Be prepared.

10. Overall, I had a satisfactory experience; I learned a lot. For the most part, I felt valued and was encouraged to grow.

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Osborn & Barr

Pros

O+B has a great, fun environment. The CEO knows everyone by name. The compensation is decent, and the benefits are competitive.

Cons

Osborn Barr has a high turn-over rate. A lot of work and not enough people; most of my coworkers worked well over 40 hours in a week.

Advice to Management

I would recommend not taking everyone's word for complete truth; keep in mind that, just because someone has authority, it does not necessarily mean they are trustworthy.

11. Management, director

I have been working at Osborn & Barr full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This agency cares. The agency cares about the clients and the people who work there. After working with a few agencies around town, I understand the value system comes from the clients they work for. The agency specializes in agriculture, some of the best people in our country. Farmers are hardworking and honest. The people at this agency know that and respect it. Just like in farming, if you slack off or don’t deliver there are consequences. Management is involved in the business. The clients know they care and they invest in the people working on the business. As others have stated, there are changes but usually they dealing with low performance issues. The brands the agency works for are top-notch and sometimes tough. Benefits are great and work life balance is easily managed.

Cons

New business seems limited by the focus on the ag industry. In other agencies I’ve worked out, new business is frequent and communicated often. It is also unclear who leads new business. No one seems to know who the agency is targeting. There are many tough, demanding clients. The employees work hard to meet client demands but the perks make up for this. The largest watch out is advice to the owners to watch their backs. There are a couple of folks in your management team who lack character and are out to get all they can.

Advice to Management

Advice to management: Maintain your roots, grow the agency and take care of those who taking care of your clients.

RSS Feed </> Embed