Oscar Associates Reviews

Updated May 21, 2014
Updated May 21, 2014

4.3

CEO

3 years, 2 locations, 1 company.

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Oscar Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I joined Oscar Associates in 2011, shortly after graduating from University. Within 9 months, I had successfully completed the development programme (with great support & management) and was expatriated to Houston to help Oscar get off the ground in America. I cannot speak highly enough of the career progression and opportunities that Oscar Associates' offer motivated & driven individuals. This is testament to their structured training from the offset and the ability of their senior staff to implement it effectively.

I have worked in both OAs Manchester and Houston offices - both have been equally enjoyable for different reasons. The Manchester office is very established but was also very welcoming when I first joined. There are a number of different personalities but the overriding feeling is that of a productive and successful environment.

The Houston office, having only been established in 2012, has more of a start up feel. We are going where no-one previously with this company has gone before. It's a small group of individuals, a good blend of British & American employees and although facing our fair share of problems, we have continued to overcome them and the future looks very bright.

What Oscar Associates essentially offer is a career, not just a job. I would highly recommended this company to anyone coming out of University who are keen to challenge themselves, work internationally, develop strong relationships and be financially rewarded.

Recruitment is certainly a challenge.In my mind, it makes sense to join a company that can allow you to flourish, who can help support you and also guide you. For me, that company has been Oscar Associates.

Cons

The challenges I have faced working for Oscar Associates have been products of their own success.

After spending 7 years with one UK office, the last 2 years has seen Oscar branching out and setting up offices in Houston and Singapore. This has come with a number of issues - having to understand new markets, hiring new people that have not quite aligned with the business model, management changes, logistical issues of finding housing, office buildings etc...

These however are all problems that we expected to face and we have managed, despite maybe taking a little longer than expected. This has undoubtedly made the business stronger and, as mentioned earlier, the international opportunities which have opened up for existing staff are invaluable. There are further plans to open up additional international offices (Brazil & Canada spring to mind) and hopefully we can learn from, and take heart from, the experience of establishing the first two international offices.

Recruitment consultant

I worked at Oscar Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

In the heart of the city centre - close to the pubs, bars and restaurants.
    A largely young demographic working there.

Cons

Management actively encourages you to decieve clients to secure business in the short term but in the long run this means that you never establish a client portfolio - no one will trust you after working with you once. Someone quits or gets fired every couple of weeks so there is an extremely high turn over of staff. There less than 10% of the consultants were women and there were no women in management.

Oscar Associates Response

Mar 17, 2014Director

Whilst feedback from ex-employees is appreciated, this review is off the mark factually in a number of areas:

Oscar staff are categorically never encouraged to deceive clients in any way; in fact
    ... More

Oscar Associates have given me the opportunity to refine my skills, develop a clear career path and shape my own future.

Current Employee - Managing Consultant  in  Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Oscar Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Being a meritocratic environment, you really do get out what you put it. The earning potential is excellent and, especially for fresh graduates, you can quickly develop your skills and your career at a pace that is personally rewarding but ultimately driven by your own ambition. Growth is never stunted and you are given the tools and training to help you recognise your potential.

Cons

Sales will always be hard and as the market becomes more competitive, you have to strive even harder to stand out from the crowd. Having said that, Oscar Associates’ reputation of continual delivery to its client base is a huge aid.

Some additional back office support would help the sales teams concentrate on recruitment but exposure to contractual, legal and other business elements of the industry does help for a more rounded approach to business.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Successful Graduate career in a young, dynamic environment where hard work is suitably rewarded!

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Oscar Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

The office environment is very young and outgoing however still manages to maintain an air of professionalism. Recruitment is a hard industry to work in so being around people you genuinely get along with can make all of the difference!

You are given a high degree of autonomy at Consultant level when it comes to managing your own candidates and clients, but there is always a strong support system if needed. The initial training program is very comprehensive and really prepares you for what the job will entail by using real life situations and role play scenarios with other trainees, the training continues through being a trainee and into becoming a Consultant so you never feel out of your depth.

The commission structure is one of the best I have come across and careers progression into consultant and beyond is extremely obtainable providing you work hard and stay focused.

The location in Manchester City Centre couldn't be better, you are a stones throw away from some of the best bars and restaurants, perfect for after work drinks!

Cons

Due to the opening of two of international offices in a 12 month period, there have been a few shifts in management in Manchester which as expected, have taken a while for the business to adjust to. This however has made the business stronger in the long run and the potential international opportunities which have opened up for existing staff are invaluable.

No dress down Fridays.

Competitive, fast-paced working environment with exceptional staff

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Oscar Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training: The structured training programme in place at Oscar is excepional and I can definitely say that I wouldn't have progressed as quickly as I have done with out it. The fact that you are always learning enables you to improve yourself and develop as a recruitment consultant. Group training sessions allow you to take note of other trainees' / consultants' thoughts and ideas whilst addressing your own - to see what methods work and what do not.

Staff: Without a shadow of a doubt the people at Oscar Associates have made my time here a much more enjoyable experience and I have gained a lot of close friends. I would say that recruitment is a tough industry to work in so the people around you will play a large part in your career development.

Social: The fact that the office is made up of a largely young demographic means that I enjoy spending time both in work and out of work with my colleagues. We also do a number of staff nights out throughout the year which makes for a closer-knit company.

Commission / Incentives: Oscar Associates has a competitive commission structure which definitely appeals to all employees. In addition to the monetary benefits, we also have holiday incentives (it is nice to occassionaly get out of rainy Manchester and get some sun!)

Location: Based in the city centre very close to Albert Square - close to Spinningfields, Deansgate, restaurants, bars and pubs.

Cons

High Standards / Pressure: This could be seen as a positive or a negative depending on the way you look at it. Oscar strive for their Consultants to excel themeselves continuously. If you are looking to work for a Company where you are happy just plodding along then it is probably not the best place for you to work. However, if you are driven by high standards, a competitve and fast paced environment and deal well under pressure then Oscar is potentially the company for you.

Worked for Oscar Associates? Contribute to the Community!