Oshkosh Corporation

Be The First To
Add Photos

Oshkosh Corporation CEO Charles L. Szews

Charles L. Szews

Pros:
  • "Good pay for the area as a blue collar worker"
    in 4 reviews
  • "I was fortunate to work with some great people at Oshkosh, and the pay was good for what I did as a temp"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "The insurance packages the company offers to its salary staff are shameful compared to what they dole out to the union workforce"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Products, Great Opportunities

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

ProsI would say that the people are great. Mid-level and senior management almost have all worked their way up from the lower levels, so they are easily approachable, no-nonsense and knowledgeable. Benefits are good. Preferential treatment is given to current employees for positions. Upward moves into different types of positions are usually easier than within your current job designation (for example, if you are an admin, moving into contracts or project management, rather than to an executive level admin).

ConsNo lunchrooms (there are kitchens), projects often require lots of overtime from all staff, however many people see the project (often for military) as vitally important not only to the business but for our soldiers as well, so the overtime is usually not viewed as a huge inconvenience. Administrative promotions are usually not based on performance, but done personally.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease communication between departments and divisions, really work on the One-Oshkosh philosophy. When undergoing new projects talk to the admins, they know what is going on and usually have useful input.

Busy

Team Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

ProsOshkosh Truck offers someone the opportunity to develop yourself as a person and as a leader. There are plenty of opportunities for challenging yourself.

ConsThe shifts are kind of awkward and makes it so that it is hard to have time for anything else for you to do with your day.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep in mind the thoughts of the workers, if management works for them the workers will work harder for the management.

Overall, a good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation

ProsStability of company
Good opportunity to grow
Great place to learn
Variety of companies within the organization to learn about and work with

ConsLack of communication around company strategy
Most employees do not know what the company was doing or why it was doing it
Leadership was a little stagnant - little change at higher levels

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication to employees, especially in regards to corporate strategy

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, good place to learn

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

ProsThey do not micro-manage their people, which creates personal growth.

ConsCommunication needs to get better

Great co-workers, confusing management

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

ProsMost everyone is commited to hard work and professional
Gave back benefits after market picked up again
Non-repetitive daily tasks
Team spirit encouraged

ConsUnderutilized operations/materials system - cumbersome bandaid fixes
LOTS of policy emphasis
Somewhat rigid procedures
HR and management uses complicated system to 'manage' humans

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of TAMS. HR review system is demeaning and pointless. Stop trying to reduce your employees to numbers, we are humans.

Great learning experiences and safety knowledge

Material Handler (Current Employee)
Dodge Center, MN

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

Prosgreat learning abilities and amazing training.

Conshours going up and down too much.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your employees when we have problems. we see how everything works. management doesnt see a lot of what really goes on and how things work some times.

Its a great place work you learn alot information the people are like family.

301 (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

ProsThe pay scale is one of the best in the Fox Valley plus the bennifits are ranked at the top of every job around.

Conswe do have to work alot of hrs. so the overtime is always nice but it does take away from family time.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I were in leadership postion I would give more feed back to its employees in a more timely matter rather than wait till the last minute on important information.

overall good company

301 General Assembler (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

Prosvery good benefits compared to other companies
very good pay and hard to find this type of pay any where else
endless opportunities for job advancement and tryiing different positions

ConsOverall to actual downsides about being there. When it comes to FMLA HR needs to be more lenient and do alot better job on approving time off instead of walking an employee for missing work due to a family emergency.

Advice to Senior Managementinstead of pointing the fingers at employees when they have quality issues on trucks which interfere with sales who bust their ass every day to build the best truck. They need to focus on tracing where the repeat problem started. Also have the management and cordinators quit being so worried about hitting numbers and not carrying about quality just to hit their numbers to make themselves look good. Start putting quality before number and we will make the government alot happier!!

Long-term advancement potential if you're an "Oshkosh person", otherwise quick turnover

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation

ProsThe compensation is reasonable, most co-workers are pleasant, my direct managers were competent people-managers, and I learned a great deal from my involvement with the company.

ConsOshkosh's corporate structure is bureaucratic, rigid and paternalistic; essentially an "old boys club". Perhaps this mirrors the customer's expectations, but it makes change difficult to implement and creates a situation where only people with similar backgrounds and mindsets get promoted. If you're not an "Oshkosh person", you have limited potential at the company regardless of your capabilities and qualifications. Furthermore, the company's heavy use of contract workers creates a morale issue, as a large number of employees do not feel as though they are true Oshkosh employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the long term more with regards to talent identification and development, as well as corporate strategy. Be more proactive about identifying "bugs"; don't let them fester and then try to use a sledgehammer to take care of the problem.

Time to get out

Project Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWhen the going is good things are great.This is a company that has so much potential to grow and develop its units. Still hiring people - so many corporate opportunities.
Have great social life with co-workers but there tends to be a very loose policy especially drinking.
Opportunities ( in the past) have been fantastic for rapid promotion.

ConsWorking conditions - verbally not good ??? To much abuse down the chain. I have personally seen the transition into the business of new divisions only to be talked down and squashed by corporate administrators here in WI. We were ONE Oshkosh - remember!
Leadership is weak. Senior executives get away with a lot and are not punished while mid levels are crucified at every turn. This company is underachieving and hurting its own assets.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow some! Get on top of your senior management who talk smack and act like bullies. If the Exec turns up to a meeting hung over - kick their butt !!
I think I have put it out there well. You have quality people working for you but some senior executives are more concerned with smear campaigns than getting on with the job.
Oh and CEO - Take a weekend off!

Worked for Oshkosh Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oshkosh Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Oshkosh Corporation CEO Charles L. Szews. All 52 reviews posted anonymously by Oshkosh Corporation employees.